Project "CODE RED " 88 Olympic edition

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I sold one of my trucks yesterday , now I'm down to 3 . Sold it to a person from Michigan and it has a good home and it will be well taken care of . He's had a MJ before and should be joining the CC .

I took a little of the money and purchased a set of 4 gambler wheels .

I'm torn on what to do for a front axle , regear (3.07 to 4.10s ) or but a 4.10 Dana hp30 . The best price I've found locally is $550 . I still have to get control arms and a adjustable track bar too .

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates as I haven't had much time to work on this after starting the new job in February .

The 95/96 xj booster is installed ( no pics but it has been done many times over lol) .

My brother got married on the 19th of March so I got to spend that week in Colorado at his house . While I was there I was able to meet up with Yellaheep ( who I bought this truck from ) who didn't live far away from my brother . Yellaheep is a great person and we went for a ride to his storage place in style with the SRT 8 Grand Cherokee ( it's fast !!) I was able to look through his stash of quality parts and was able to purchase a grey leather wrapped steering wheel and a shifter boot ( I had limited room in my luggage lol) I would recommend buying from him as his stuff is as described . I tried to make it to Jimoshels place too but time didn't allow it .

I also picked up some power window wiring , limited dash speakers ,limited door panels , rain guards , OMESD40 steering stabilizer and OME60052L front shocks .

Started to clean the xj 4.10 8.25 rear axle , I know I have to move the perches and remove the shock mounts ,but I wanted to see if the flat or semi flat paint looked better . I think the semi is the winner .

• 5 months later...

Sweet! Have you driven it yet? You'll love the 4.10s...

Also, how did you set pinion angle? I'm going to do a similar swap in mine and disk brakes just want some insight...thanks

I drove it up and down the street at 35 mph tops and it rode well , but have yet to get it up to freeway speeds .

I used two angle finders , one on the spring perch of the old axle and the other parallel with two of the diff cover bolts and transferred that angle to the 8.25 . I didn't fully weld the perches in case I have to change the angle if I get driveline vibrations .

You still have the load sensing valve Adam? I think I see the rod connected to the axle. Or is it just hanging there?

The load sensing valve is still there and hooked up , it's hidden by the spare tire . I had to flip and reverse the diff bracket, but it stops just fine . I suppose if the truck was loaded heavily that the rod would break so I may have to shorten or make an adjustable rod like you did .

What color red did you use for the firewall? I think my 87 chief is Colorado red. Where did you get the paint from also?

I also painted my firewall Colorado red , which is what the truck was born with before it became all sun faded . I purchased the paint from my local auto paint store called API .

• 1 month later...

I figured it's as good as time as any to update with my newest find as I've been down with the flu the past few days with no energy or drive to do anything but sleep .

Searching Pull-A-Part they had a 86 Xj with a 2.8 and auto trans . Being couped up I figured I take a drive and see if it had a black interior and check about a 4:10 Hp dana 30 as well . It didn't have a black interior but it did have the front 4:10 axle that I picked up for $105 which is a much better price than anyone else around here .It was a chore to take out and I'm spent . It's a CAD axle but the gears are in great shape . No pictures right now but I will take some eventually .

Your ability to find these nice rare parts is second to none :thumbsup: Love your work. The pics of those wheels are really making me want to get off my rear and fix up the Eliminator wheels I have in storage :D

I can't remember if I told you or not but I did get the seat tilt bezel, much appreciated.

Your ability to find these nice rare parts is second to none :thumbsup: Love your work. The pics of those wheels are really making me want to get off my rear and fix up the Eliminator wheels I have in storage :D

Agree 100%. But I do question his sanity pulling a front axle in a junkyard while sick as a dog with the flu.

YOU'RE A SICK MAN ADAM,  and I don't mean the flu. Well done mate!  :cheers:

Agree 100%. But I do question his sanity pulling a front axle in a junkyard while sick as a dog with the flu.

YOU'RE A SICK MAN ADAM,  and I don't mean the flu. Well done mate!  :cheers:

4.10s would be pretty motivating... not sure if they'd be that motivating though.