Project "CODE RED " 88 Olympic edition

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't done anything to the truck in the past weeks but I did find a 97-01 brush guard . I'll try to fit it up to the older front end to see if it will fit .

The guy I purchased it from said he went to the dealer and ordered one for his Liberty but when he tried to install it he realized it was the wrong part . He never did say why he still had it after 5 years of being moved around in his garage ( which caused some scratches/ scuffs ) . Did these come color coded ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Searching craigslist I found a set of Kelly 31x10.50x15s mounted on canyon rims for $300 with excellent tread .

After mounting them it was pretty evident that they looked to large for the wheel openings . It wasn't a big deal as I plan on lifting the truck with a 3 inch lift .

I already had a brand new mopar 3/2 metric ton spring and the passenger side had a broken leaf anyhow along with the main leaf having some good wear as well .all I had to do was buy one for the other side .

Here is a picture before the springs and tires .

And after ,

I've been looking for a Lund Fastback for maybe 3 or 4 weeks now and stumbled across one that was for sale in Minnesota . The owner proceeded to tell me at one point it was a display model at his auto repair/ accessory shop and had been sitting up in the attic for several years . I asked how much and he told me $50 plus shipping ( which ended up being $30) so $80 shipped .

I'm going to test fit it to see how well everything lines up . At least I have something to work with now ...

• 1 month later...

I haven't really touched this in a couple months but there are a couple small updates :

Had an issue with the truck not wanting to run without jumping the fuel pump , ended up being a fusible link that had melted . Fixed that and the engine runs as it should . Took the truck up and down the road a couple times around Christmas and even with 3.07 gears and 31s it was pretty quick , spun the RR tire up pretty easily .

The truck has the Dana 35 rear axle and don't see it living to long with my driving habits and the stroker . Ever since getting the truck I've been searching for a stronger axle and 4.10 gears , came across a 99 2 door 4cyl XJ at the local pull a part with a 8.25 for $75 after returning the core axle .

Only downside is the XJ was 2wd and I'm still on the hunt for the front axle but I can drive in 2wd while I'm searching for the front axle .

Another thing I wanted to do was lift the truck around 3 inches . Stumbled on the ARB / Old Man Emu 2934 front coil springs on Amazon and Hornbrod pointed out they also had some OME N190 rear shocks which should work with the lift too . Amazon had the shocks listed at $54 ,half the normal price and the springs were $30 cheaper too .

Once I find the front axle , the weather warms up and I have time I'm going to lift the front and see what I have to do to make the correct stance . Right now I'm still in the collecting parts phase ...

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up kind of jumping the gun and installing the lift , that way I could see how the stance was and if any additional parts would be needed .

Here's a couple pics with the 31s before the front was lifted .

And after

It sits level enough that I shouldn't have to mess with the rear . It's pretty much the stance I was looking for .

I'm eventually going To get some WJ lower control arms, front shocks, adjustable track bar and I have stabilizer links on the way . I will put on all this stuff when I find a 4.10 front axle to match the rear . Next on the list is installing the dual diaphram brake booster and master cylinder .