My new car...

airspeed

Six weeks and 3700 miles, here we go, off into insurance wonderland.  South bound I25, moderate traffic 65-70mph, typical wave slow down.  The guy behind me "DID NOT"  slow down.  No injuries, as you can see the vehicle was designed to absorb the energy of impact.  I guess a new car is a lot cheaper than medical bills.  It was amazing how mild the impact felt, there was just the sound of a loud explosion.  I saw it coming and must have been making some kind of noise, I can remember my wife saying "what" just before the impact.  The truck that hit me was a 2500HD Siverado, minor damage.  Crack in the plastic grill and a little bend in the leading edge of his hood.

I'd be pissed. Car will never be the same again, no matter how they fix it. And its value, has just went WAY down. So future sale or trade-in will be much less. I'd try to get them to total it out, or buy it at value. 

The important thing is that no injury occurred to you and yours in the plastic and foam Toy car due to the idiot behind you. I assume that is the point you were making.

:agree:

A little duct tape, can of body mud, Earl Schwaab special, Good as new.

Earl Scheib. I think a Schwaab is a midget chicken or some other edible bird thing Jim.

:agree: x2

A little duct tape, can of body mud, Earl Schwaab special, Good as new.

Earl Scheib. I think a Schwaab is a midget chicken or some other edible bird thing Jim.
I thought that was my financial advisor?

I would be amazed if that car didn't get totaled.  The damage doesn't look bad, but modern cars cost so much to repair, and with damage that extensive they just tend to write them off, cut you a check for another vehicle, and sell them to be rebuilt or scrapped.

Modern cars truly are marvels of safety - the doors still line up perfectly (I don't see how it can possibly be fixable though). Bet the moron in the truck felt a lot more than you did, since his vehicle didn't absorb much of anything. Good thing you weren't hurt.

He probably wasn't at much risk with that 2500 HD sitting behind him as a shield. I would assume he took the photo to document the position of his vehicle for insurance purposes. Bet he took a photo of the other vehicle, too. Here in Alabama they say move it out of the roadway if ithere are no injuries. Not sure what the rules are in Colorado about moving vehicles prior to the arrival of law enforcement, so can't really say that what he did was right or wrong. I'd lean toward it being right in his mind as he lives there and should know the rules, he was at the scene of the accident and we weren't, and it's his new car that just got creamed.

I'm glad you and your wife are OK, Airspeed. At 3,700 miles they should replace it.

Yes. Serious. That car could be pulled onto the shoulder. The passing lane is not meant to have cars parked on it. Many law enforcement officers are killed every year responding to traffic accidents and they have flashing lights and a light bar on the rear. Also I'm fairly certain its Colorado law that you move accident vehicles out of the roadway if possible. Could be wrong. I work in traffic setups on busy roads every weekday and have learned to fear other drivers. I would have pulled that car onto the shoulder first thing. But that's me. Feel free to leave yours in the passing lane on a 75 MPH jam packed interstate.

I agree with you 100% that the interstate is an extremely dangerous place. However, I highly doubt the OP got hit, and instantly hopped out to take pictures of the damage with traffic flying by. I work for a fire dept. that has an extremely seat section of I81 run right next to the city. I've run my share of interstate wrecks. I would have to guess these photos were taken after the accident occured, buffer zone created, and traffic was traveling considerably slower. You're comment was unnecessary to the thread so I figured I'd let you know....

Many modern cars are designed to deform even in fairly minor collisions. That action absorbs the impact rather than passing the energy on, often to the passengers. That damage does not indicate that much of a collision. I'd bet that every fold, like the trunk deck, and crumple are exactly were they were designed to occur.

Yeah, I think ride172 was a bit ignorant in his posting those comments as well.

I'm betting those pics were taken with State Patrol on scene already, but if not, traffic was very likely significantly slowed down simply because of the accident, probably had a decent sized backup on the highway right after impact.

Hell, that car might not even be able to move..... Inertia switches that cut off fuel, air bag deployment makes them hard to see out of or drive, bent body could be binding a tire/wheel........

Also, has anyone ever tried to move a stopped/stalled car across 2-3 lanes of fast moving traffic to get to the shoulder without Trooper/Police cars stopping traffic for you?  What if one or both cars are leaking oils or fuels?  Better to keep them where they're at rather than spread a trail across other lanes. THESE are where things get dangerous.

I'm a cop.  If I respond to these kinds of accidents, I keep them right where they are.  I wait for the big fire trucks to show up and their S.O.P. is to block the lanes of traffic behind the accident.  We generally remove the non-driving cars with tow trucks right where they are.  

Move them to the shoulder and you get lookie-loo's rubber-necking at highway speeds, rather than at slower, bottle-neck/traffic congested speeds.

But I digress............. :D

Yeah, that car is very likely totaled.  I'd REALLY fight my insurance company if they were gonna have it repaired and given back to me. I pay GAP insurance for a reason, and it's not to end up driving and making payments on a rebuilt car.  Unless they're willing to re-finance a loan for a diminished value car...... nope.  They're getting me a new one. 

Glad you and yours came out of that accident ok Airspeed!  :thumbsup:

Move them to the shoulder and you get lookie-loo's rubber-necking at highway speeds, rather than at slower, bottle-neck/traffic congested speeds.

^^.  Remember when the highway departments with the state troopers blessing used to park horrific wrecks on the side of the Interstate to "remind" drivers this could happen to them if they were speeding? I remember CT and VA used to do this. These parked wrecks just caused more wrecks from the rubber-neckers slowing down to eyeball them then getting rear ended. The lawyers had a goldmine going for awhile with the lawsuits. What a stupid idea that was.........

When I said shoulder I meant left of the solid yellow. You could call it a median if you wanted. No reason to get upset. I was just stating my opinion and clearly said so. On my tombstone it will say "pulled his car off the road after every accident if it was possible to do so". Also like I said feel free to leave your car wherever you want. I really don't care.

I've been in one accident. I over corrected trying to dodge some road debris (chair). It was on I25 as well. It was my girlfriends car. She's now my wife and wrecked the only new vehicle I've ever owned almost the same way. She was trying to miss a bicycle.

I should add that both were single car accidents and the cable barrier in the median kept both of us out of oncoming traffic.