What year/model Comanche is best

I think I'm ready to unload my 86 XLS Comanche. Sure I'm going to miss the neck snapping 2.8L, the plush leather bucket seats, luxurious leather covered steering wheel, and real hardwood shift knob, but it's time to move on.

What's the best model and year to buy? I want a 4.0 and a manual trans.

I think I'm ready to unload my 86 XLS Comanche. Sure I'm going to miss the neck snapping 2.8L, the plush leather bucket seats, luxurious leather covered steering wheel, and real hardwood shift knob, but it's time to move on.

don't sell it, put a 3.4 or a 3.8 camaro engine in it. that's the exact truck I had before I put my 3.8 in it, and it's BETTER than any 4.0 out there (except strokers/supercharged ones). gas mileage with 3.55 gears is about 22 mpg too.

I say you have what you have now, spend the money and keep your baby, just improve her...get a dodge dakota 4 cyl ax15 5 speed tranny, or even just an ax5, np231 tcase, and your choice of the two listed engines, bolt it all in and voila!

I can get you any wiring diagrams you would need for the swap. let me know. also, for ideas, check out my Project MJ 3800 thread...it's the entire swap on that page to the 3.8

You make a convincing argument. I have put a lot of parts into the truck already. The 3.4L seems do-able but your 3.8L swap is beyond my level of patience (if it's not 100% bolt-on then it's not for me).

don't sell it, put a 3.4 or a 3.8 camaro engine in it. that's the exact truck I had before I put my 3.8 in it, and it's BETTER than any 4.0 out there (except strokers/supercharged ones).

:thwak:

I would say 1992 4.0 HO AX15 short bed with a D44 out of a older Manche

(edit: just found out D44's were available in all but 1986 Comanches)

don't sell it, put a 3.4 or a 3.8 camaro engine in it. that's the exact truck I had before I put my 3.8 in it, and it's BETTER than any 4.0 out there (except strokers/supercharged ones).

why you gots to hit me? I wasn't lyin!

why you gots to hit me? I wasn't lyin!

Sorry I'm a 7 main bearing inline 6 fanatic. When i pop the hood on a jeep and see a 3 foot long valve cover i feel all warm and fuzzy inside. That and i don't care for anything GM has built in a long time

Buick = GM.

eh, 3.8 still kickes the crap outta any stock/mildly upgraded 4.0.

(gm isn't my first choice either btw...but it's what the bolt pattern on the bellhousing was, and it's a v6)

the 3.8 is every bit as bulletproof as a 4.0.

anyways, time involved in your truck means keeping it will give you the best comanche you could have, at least in my opinion. save up some money and do some sort of engine swap...heck, put a 4.0 in it. buy some cherokee parts truck with a good motor, tranny, and cooling system, change out the header panel and header support panel, swap wiring harnesses, and bolt the sucker in. It isn't that hard, and will give you the truck you want, with the power you want.

The best comanche is the one that you already have, you know what the problems are and what you need to fix. Sure the 4.0's are great engines but I wouldn't run out and get another comanche just to get one. I would figure out how to make that 3.8 buick swap because my sisters 99 camaro will smoke the tires off the rims. I wish I had that kind of throttle response in 4.0 don't get me wrong my 4.0 moves but its nothing compared to the 3.8 in her camaro.

I don't know about best..

But my ideal choice would be a 1992, 4.0, ax15, d44, SWB, with a clean body.

CW

I agree however I searched over a year and never could find a rust free 92 SWB 4X4 so I settled on my semi-rusty 91. Those suckers are super hard to find.

(gm isn't my first choice either btw...but it's what the bolt pattern on the bellhousing was, and it's a v6)

I'd ask what your first choice is.... But I'm afraid you'll say "ford".

NO!

first choice would be a cummins. but...that wouldn't fit, and it's expensive.

I really prefer to stay away from any trucks other than comanches. my grandpa's 03 duramax is nice, and a great fullsize truck...but they have diff problems and are known for blowing head gaskets.

a 5 speed dodge club cab fullsize with a big cummins and 4wd would be my choice of tow vehicle.

but I'm a mopar fan when it comes to muscle cars too so i guess I'm all around dodge. for cars I'm strictly volkswagon unless it's american muscle, in which case I'm definitely a challenger/charger/duster fan. (I had to throw the duster in there...I HAD one that was tubbed for drag racing and Mild street driving (PO ported it so bad that he had to jb weld the water jackets in the head so they wouldn't leak..sold b/c that didn't hold up).

btw, ford sucks. I'm ALMOST ashamed to be putting an 8.8 in my jeep...except that's the ONE thing ford made right

whaaaaaaat?!?

ford remains the only truck with straight axle all corner leaf sprung superduty trucks... and in a magazine road test (don't remember what magazine) the F250 diesel out accelerated both GMC2500, and the Cummins (all similarly sized cabs/bed options all the 2 series) even though it was heavier, was quieter db level inside the truck, and stopped faster than the other trucks as well! thats a damn good truck IMHO

i HATE all fullsize halftons cept maybe a handful of the dodge SRTs and stuff, but the ford superduty is where its at

btw, ford sucks. I'm ALMOST ashamed to be putting an 8.8 in my jeep...except that's the ONE thing ford made right

whaaaaaaat?!?

ford remains the only truck with straight axle all corner leaf sprung superduty trucks... and in a magazine road test (don't remember what magazine) the F250 diesel out accelerated both GMC2500, and the Cummins (all similarly sized cabs/bed options all the 2 series) even though it was heavier, was quieter db level inside the truck, and stopped faster than the other trucks as well! thats a damn good truck IMHO

i HATE all fullsize halftons cept maybe a handful of the dodge SRTs and stuff, but the ford superduty is where its at

performance in the long run far outweighs short-term performance.

fords won't last as long, they're poorly engineered when it comes to computer control, fuel rail design and positioning (you do after all have to remove the ENTIRE fuel rail and every single coil on a post-00 f150 just to change the spark plugs), drives like a giant tug boat, and has weak diff covers (brand new one on my friend Donny's truck rusted right off in less than a year with at least 1 car wash a week).

fords suck. found on road ded, driver returns on foot, fix or repair daily. whichever way you will say it, but fords are, IMHO, worthless.

:D i don't hate you for your ignorance though ;) just kidding, to each his own...

aren't 92's just left-over 91's that they sold as 92's? meaning getting a 91 or 92 would be the same thing. correct me if i'm wrong, i just thought i read that once...

whatever you get, just make sure it's what you want and isn't so rusty it'll turn to dust soon. with vehicles of this age, you won't find one that doesn't need something fixed. we're not talking a new or even a three or four year old vehicle. even the youngest manches are 15 years old now. as long as the cancer isn't killling it, buy it, fix what needs to be fixed, drive it.

whaaaaaaat?!?

I'm not sure but arent the 07 fords IFS? if so the suck just like every other new truck but i do agree that the solid axle fords are superior as far as suspension and chassis go but i do know that the powerstroke has had its share of problems