streetable lockers

Which lunchbox locker has the best street manners? I have an AMC 20 for my MJ and want to start looking at lockers. Most of my wheeling is mud and occasional snow, I think any of the name brands will be strong enough for my rig, so my main concern will be how it will act on rainy roads and will the clunking scare my wife when she drives the truck?

thanks

Had a Spartan in my 8.25 and it was very noisy.... clanked and grabbed alot.  However for ease of installation I also bought one for my 8.8 and sometimes when I turn a corner and hear the clicking I wonder what the noise is.  This one is so quiet and polite on the street I forget I have one.....

I run a Spartan in my 27-spline C8.25 for my XJ...  I was going to go with an Aussie, but it wasn't available for the 27-spline and the 29-spline was out of stock.  I found out after I got my Spartan that I could have just swapped the axle shafts to 29-spline and gotten the appropriate locker... Oh well. 

I've had my Spartan in since May and haven't had any issues, only the clanking when making sharp turns.  Having never installed something like this before then, installation was a breeze.  It performs beautifully off-road.  Hardly have to use 4WD anymore haha. 

But, with that said, either of them are a great choice.  Price may be your deciding factor.  I paid $330 + free shipping on eBay.  Aussies are around $300 + some shipping. 

On a side note, I may do an Aussie for the front of my XJ.  My only concern is about driving in snow or on ice.  Not a problem with Aussie, specifically, but I've been told that lunchbox lockers for the front are a bad idea for steering in snow or on ice.

I use Aussie's but if I was not cheap I would use the Richmond no-slip. In my experience it is easily the smoothest of the drop-in lockers. Not sure if they have a M20 version though.

EDIT: 12/06/14 after a few months and a couple of thousand miles I am very happy with new design of Aussie. It is smoother than the old style Aussie (now Lokka) and as quiet as any drop-in I have been around. We have already had ice, freezing rain, and about a 6" snowfall. The Aussie has been as invisible as an LSD unless you get on it hard.

• 2 months later...

I run a Spartan in my 27-spline C8.25 for my XJ... I was going to go with an Aussie, but it wasn't available for the 27-spline and the 29-spline was out of stock. I found out after I got my Spartan that I could have just swapped the axle shafts to 29-spline and gotten the appropriate locker... Oh well.

But, with that said, either of them are a great choice. Price may be your deciding factor. I paid $330 + free shipping on eBay. Aussies are around $300 + some shipping.

On a side note, I may do an Aussie for the front of my XJ. My only concern is about driving in snow or on ice. Not a problem with Aussie, specifically, but I've been told that lunchbox lockers for the front are a bad idea for steering in snow or on ice.

I know this is an old thread but is this true???

About just swapping the shafts???

I didn't pick up a few 27 spline 4.10s 8.25s earlier because I thought I had to replace everything in order to put the 29spline shafts...

I'm no expert, but the two things affected by the spline count are the axle shaft itself and the spider gears. The Aussie locker replaces the spider gears in the differential, so you'd just need the axle shafts.

I would expect you'd also need new wheel bearings and seals to make it work with the larger shafts, as well.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the carriers are different between 27 and 29 spline. 29 spline gears do not fit in a 27 spline carrier.

This is correct,the diameter of the holes where the side gears fit into the carrier are different between 27 and 29 spline axles.