^^ That. It was a rubber sheath wrapped around the 2-1/2" inner drive shaft on the 2WD. That's what happened to mine; the shop could not balance it because the rubber was moving around inside. I had to have a new shaft made.

My first custom shaft had a main tube from a 2wd Toyota pick up truck that I had shortened. Used the same 1310 joints our Jeeps use.

Second one was 3" diameter 3/16" wall DOM tubing custom made. Still ended up bent when I removed it three years later.

Current one is a stock front shaft lengthened 17" using 1/4" wall tubing.

Quick question on this subject, does the rubber sheath go the full length of the 2wd driveshaft? And why would the rubber sheath make a driveline shop weary of shortening it? I ask because I need to shorten my 2wd shaft now that I installed my 4wd trans

Quick question on this subject, does the rubber sheath go the full length of the 2wd driveshaft? And why would the rubber sheath make a driveline shop weary of shortening it? I ask because I need to shorten my 2wd shaft now that I installed my 4wd trans

You mean wary, yes? The shop will try to shorten it, but may run into problems when they try to balance it. This is what happened to me when I put in the D44 axle and had to have the shaft shortened. The shop couldn't balance it because the rubber stuff was moving around inside.

I had my ds shortened that came out of my 86 2wd Lb when I converted it to a 95 xj driveline . I had a local ds place shorten it and when he did he took all the rubber out and I've put 75k miles on the truck with no incident . Dando if you need a ds let me know . I have spares .

Not sure if the local driveline shop will like trying to remove the rubber from the 2WD d/s.  Other than a Toyota what's a good donor to have cut down?  I was thinking that a 93-00ish Suburban or K1500 d/s would give the shop plenty of meat to start with.  S-10s and Blazers are also plentiful in the local Pull-a-Part.  Thoughts?

I had a 2wd DS shortened (with rubber left in), after discussion with DS shop it was agreed to shorten from the yoke end. The shop had no problems balancing it and I'm still running it today. I can't tell you how many miles are on it, because it is not a DD, but I've had no problems and I'd say its been on there for maybe five years .

I also had my 2wd shaft shortened.  they just cut the non-rubber end.

And is that the yoke end or pinion end Pete?

Looking at mine the non rubber end would be the yoke end (transmission side)

Could a drive shaft shop not just cut both ends off of any drive shaft and replace the complete tube? I know this would cost more but it should be an option. I have had shafts made for heavy equipment like this I'm sure its probably not much different for an automotive application.