Sinkhole Swallows Eight Corvettes

HOrnbrod

Structural engineer? What about a geologist?

One is one of my professors this semester. And here in KY sink holes are pretty dang common and basically there is a stipulation that says the ground is ever changing and we didnt find anything but that does mean that isnt something there or something could forum. And also one of the people that worked on the cite is on the board the musuem so if they sue theyll basically be suing themsevles.

I actually was there this past fall. Quite a shame. Those were some beautiful cars in there.

Busted water main?

We've had LARGE amounts rain in the past year. It actaully has even changed the under ground water passage ways.

Back with more info. For those of you that have never been there, that area in the picture is cone shaped with a large circle room in the middle. So some 30 years ago when they build the museum they ran the HVAC underground to condition the room they dug an 8' by 6' trench for a 36" round duct, then back filled it with extra gravel. Well they also back filled around the outside base of the cone with gravel. So every time it rained the water would wash down the cone hit the gravel, weep down under the floor, and into the trench. Well apparently they believe there is a large water passage or cave or both far down below where they measured too. So the water was slowly taking soil away with it over the years down this holes that connect to the larger system. And we just got a large amount of rain this weekend..where the water level in the streams above ground are still high..so they believe that was the final straw for the ground and made it clasp inward. 4 of the cars are visible and the other 4 of the cars are buried under ground because theyre the ones that fell in first.

Here is the videos of the floor clasping

Here is some the videos of the hole. It is MUCH larger than the opening that the fire department guesstimated it to be. In these videos you can see the the throats of the sink hole that lead down into the under ground water passage way. They were looking at the walls to see how stable the ground is...they took this video Wednesday.

(skip to 1 minute mark, turn your volume down or off)

(skip to 1:30 mark, turn your volume down or off)

I've only had one, a 1965 427 coupe. I loved that car, it looked good, was fun to drive, and went fast. But in 1968 when they changed the body style, I never really wanted another. It does pain me seeing any classic car, truck, or motorcycle get destroyed like that though. No matter what it is........

• 1 month later...