Shackle Relocation Brackets For A Mj?

the MJ shackle hanger is nothing like the XJ's. the MJ uses two plates welded to either side of the frame rail. The XJ uses a box welded to the outside of the frame rail and up futher towards the middle of the rail (with an internal captured nut the bolt passes into. XJ shackle relocation brackets tie into this bolt, and into the lower portion of the frame rail to mimic the stock MJ configuration. An XJ bracket will simply not work for an MJ in this instance. If you have the ability to fabricate a relocation bracket ... then you can weld two 1/4" plates to the existing location and drill as many adjustment points as you want.

MJ

XJ

lktrrearmount.jpg

XJ with relocation brackets (mine)

Another problem XJs have with using a lift spring with more arch and the stock stupidly short shackle, the shackle hits end back side of the box during compression. Shackle relocation bracket and/or longer shackle solve this.

I have never seen the need for a relocated shackle mounting position on an MJ. What springs are you running?

What's wrong with a 90-degree shackle angle? Isn't that what it's supposed to be? With a 90-degree angle, the spring can allow both compression (suspension down travel) and extension (suspension up travel). That's usually what we want -- for the suspension to work in both (vertical) directions).

XJs are different. The stock XJ leaf springs are spring-over and essentially flat at static rest, so they bend (making the eye-to-eye distance shorter) in both compression and extension. So the XJ stock set up has the shackle pointing back, and it swings forward whether the suspension compresses or extends.

Unless your springs are flat at curb rest, I don't think you need to change your shackle angle.

A 90 deg shackle angle is not ideal, typically angled away from the fixed pivot point is the way to go.  And I could be mistaken, but leaf springs should all have some arch to them regardless of SOA or SUA.

Here's some tech that should answer many questions: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/845026-leaf-spring-shackle-basics.html

If you need relocation brackets, I would say you have other issues, maybe broken or badly sagged springs. I would look into that before modding stuff that might not be a problem.

I don't think I have other issues....

The springs are stock, to my knowledge. I swapped a 8.8 under the rear with SOA. There is lift shackles on the truck already. They were on it when I bought it. Not sure how much lift they are though.

Here are pictures of the shackle angle.

Good angle or not a good angle?

A 90 deg shackle angle is not ideal, typically angled away from the fixed pivot point is the way to go.  And I could be mistaken, but leaf springs should all have some arch to them regardless of SOA or SUA.

Here's some tech that should answer many questions: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/845026-leaf-spring-shackle-basics.html

The link you posted shows some examples of flat springs.

I don't see anything wrong. The long shackle is causing the angle to change a little but I still think its good. Why are you worried about it are you having some problem?

Just a stiff ride. Thought it was because of the angle

I don't see anything wrong. The long shackle is causing the angle to change a little but I still think its good. Why are you worried about it are you having some problem?

Nope. That's right about where it should be.

Stiff ride in an MJ (at least to my personal experience) is because of stiff shocks. Especially the front ones. Since you seem to be sitting ~6 or so inches higher than stock, I imagine you have 3rd party shocks under it.

All 3rd party lift shocks I have dealt with (Skyjacker, Superlift and Tuff Country) are extremely stiff, better suited to a full size 1 ton truck.

It looks like you have room to drill new holes in front of the existing holes. This would give you more angle and if it does not help, you could move it back to the original location. But please don't drill holes in your frame on my advise alone. You need to measure and decide if the extra holes will weaken the mount or cause any interference problems with the shackles. If this works for you could always add a plate on each side to add strength. I am no expert on shackle angle yours looks okay to me but a little more angle will not hurt anything and may help some. I think our trucks are too light in the back to ride smoothly over bumps. And it looks like yours is missing some weight in the rear.

Stiff ride in an MJ (at least to my personal experience) is because of stiff shocks. Especially the front ones. Since you seem to be sitting ~6 or so inches higher than stock, I imagine you have 3rd party shocks under it.

All 3rd party lift shocks I have dealt with (Skyjacker, Superlift and Tuff Country) are extremely stiff, better suited to a full size 1 ton truck.

As you can see in the picture I have bilstein 5150's

Did you have the stiff ride before the Bilsteins? They made mine ride like a buckboard. I got rid of them and went back to OMEs.

Ok well I guess I'm just going to go with some new shackles. I am about to lift the from to 8.5 inches to fit 35's and I'm going to need to raise the rear about a inch or two.

COG is not that big of a deal to me. This truck is being built for the beach manly.

These are what I'm going to go with.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/RLS.html

Tell me what yall think

Did you have the stiff ride before the Bilsteins? They made mine ride like a buckboard. I got rid of them and went back to OMEs.

yes but The shocks before were blown so no much to go off of.

I know alot of it has to do with the crappy front lift I have and the bad control arm angle. That will change next week hopefully if I can find the time to put the new long arms on.

What did you torque the shackle bolts to? Disregard the service manuals and torque to 65 ft-lbs ... or follow what most other leaf sprung trucks do and tighten just past spin so the shackle moves with some resistance but not bound in like the stock setup. You'd be surprised how smooth the rear will be. It allows the suspension to do its job amd not just fight spring rates