Better Then Oem Suspenion In Rear

I'm looking for a way to stiffen my rear suspension on my 86 2wd jeep Comanche. its stock height and I'm not looking for a lift kit. I am looking for better cornering ability. The suspension it has is too soft and sways too much. sway arms? Springs? More/thicker leaf springs?

If your springs truly are weak, replace them.

In my case, my truck sits perfectly level, springs are strong, bushings are good. I too have some slop in the steering/cornering, the feeling of under steer/over steer when taking a sharp corner. I attribute this to the track bar in the  front, I know for a fact its the track bar, I can see the slop when I have someone else rock the steering wheel.

Shocks are also to be considered, I'm running Gabriels in the rear and I'll move to all Bilstiens in the near future.

Tires are also to be considered. I'm running the Cooper AT3s, good tires with little sidewall flex........IOWs I sense no roll in them in a corner.

I'm looking to the double shear track bar, I can find only one that does not require a lift, most are for 3"+++.

I'm also considering  a sway bar for the rear, the XJs run them, along with just about every other late model truck.

Also consider going the the thicker/heavier V8 ZJ front sway bar.

Thank you for replying. My dad is a master mechanic and I know he told me about load levelers (he described them as shocks with an additional coil around them). I tried to find some but came up with nothing. Have you heard/seen anything like this?

What year XJ would I be looking for, for a rear sway arm? How much work would this be to install etc...

Thank you for replying. My dad is a master mechanic and I know he told me about load levelers (he described them as shocks with an additional coil around them). I tried to find some but came up with nothing. Have you heard/seen anything like this?

What year XJ would I be looking for, for a rear sway arm? How much work would this be to install etc...

http://comancheclub.com/topic/38390-new-shocks-monroe-sensa-track-load-levelers/?p=386345

The part number is 58497.

... on my 86 2wd jeep Comanche...

I tried these on a long box and the one hit the fuel tank. Could probably loosen the straps for the tank and shift things around to make things fit and play nicely together, but it'd still be pretty tight.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/38390-new-shocks-monroe-sensa-track-load-levelers/?p=386345

The part number is 58497.

This is exactly what i'm looking for! Thanks. Would you know if they had some for the front? I looked at my truck and I'm thinking it'll be too tight of a fit tho... 

Gas Tank information is noted as well. Thanks 

Using a XJ sway bar may not be so easy.  Their springs are over the rear axles (SOA) and the MJ is under (SUA), add in the fact the XJ's sway bar mounts to the plates on top of the spring packs and they spring themselves are farther apart (XJ springs mount outboard of the "frame", MJ's on the bottom of the frame), might make it a lot of work to adapt.  The flip side is you can probably find a XJ sway bar for free since removing the rear sway bar is a popular mod on XJ's with trail aspirations.  (I took both of them off my XJ and off to the recycler they went.)

I understand where you're coming from though, my '89 MJ wallows quite a bit when I have my Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper installed.

I'm guessing if your 86 hasn't had new shocks in the last few years or springs in the last decade, it's time to think about going that route. :)

Using a XJ sway bar may not be so easy.  Their springs are over the rear axles (SOA) and the MJ is under (SUA), add in the fact the XJ's sway bar mounts to the plates on top of the spring packs and they spring themselves are farther apart (XJ springs mount outboard of the "frame", MJ's on the bottom of the frame), might make it a lot of work to adapt.  The flip side is you can probably find a XJ sway bar for free since removing the rear sway bar is a popular mod on XJ's with trail aspirations.  (I took both of them off my XJ and off to the recycler they went.)

I understand where you're coming from though, my '89 MJ wallows quite a bit when I have my Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper installed.

I'm guessing if your 86 hasn't had new shocks in the last few years or springs in the last decade, it's time to think about going that route. :)

If you are still set on a sway bar..... try looking for a YJ on....They are SUA

I have the load leveler shocks.  They gave me a net lift of maybe 1/2" but more importantly when I drop a load of firewood in the back it used to sag the rear end...it doesn't do that anymore.  Better cornering and general feel of the rear.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I'm a wheel guy as well. I run Addco front and rear bars on my 91 Elininator and they just bolt up. www​.addco.net Don't put double sheer track bar on front. JKS makes a standard lift track bar that is so much tighter and has no bump steer compared to my double sheer I originally put on. Well worth the money. I'm interested in seeing how the rear track bar goes as I am thinking it needs one to.

I also run the ADDCO front bar, but the MJ rear ADDCO bar (#468) will not work on a long bed due to the different location of the upper shock mounts on the frame. The upper shocks on the LWB MJs mount in front of the axle, not behind it as the SWB do. 

Here's a drawing from the ADDCO installation manual. It uses the upper shock mounts to mount the end links using an "L" bracket. Not a good design IMHO. Unfortunately it will not work on a longbed because the upper shock mounts are in front of the axle. I'm thinking of getting one anyhow and making my own mounts on the frame for the end links. It would be better than this setup.

A friend of mine had one on his MJ and said the end link "L" brackets were constantly twisting and loosening up.

Here's a drawing from the ADDCO installation manual. It uses the upper shock mounts to mount the end links using an "L" bracket. Not a good design IMHO. Unfortunately it will not work on a longbed because the upper shock mounts are in front of the axle. I'm thinking of getting one anyhow and making my own mounts on the frame for the end links. It would be better than this setup.

A friend of mine had one on his MJ and said the end link "L" brackets were constantly twisting and loosening up.

Not on my truck.