Lost The Only Key! Solutions?

Hey guys, I lost the only key I have for my 1990 Sport 4x4 Cherokee  :doh: . What do I do? If I take out the ignition can I take it to a locksmith and have him make a new one? I have a very similar key from my 1990 comanche for a reference. Or is the only solution to buy an ignition/key combo set from ebay?  :help:

Oldseddie that is too old to have z key made that way . Oddmodman if you can take out the cylinder just get a new cylinder that comes with keys roughly 20 bucks at any parts stores but if you lost the door key you gotta take the door cylinder to locksmith or dealer to get a door key made

did that for my 88 Cherokee before I sold it. had two sets made for just that case.didn't had the money at the time(at first). so i swap the door cylinder on the passenger side of my 89 MJ with the driver side of my 88. then I swapped them back when I got the keys made.

Oldseddie that is too old to have z key made that way . Oddmodman if you can take out the cylinder just get a new cylinder that comes with keys roughly 20 bucks at any parts stores but if you lost the door key you gotta take the door cylinder to locksmith or dealer to get a door key made

did that for my 88 Cherokee before I sold it. had two sets made for just that case.didn't had the money at the time(at first). so i swap the door cylinder on the passenger side of my 89 MJ with the driver side of my 88. then I swapped them back when I got the keys made.

I just spent a while at the JY looking at the lock cyl on an xj trying to see if I could swap them out-

The lock is simply held to the door from the rear by a square plate- yes?

How difficult was it to swap them out?

easy enough, pull the panel, and reach in release the rod clips and spend some time trying to pry the retainer clip out while avoiding a shattered knuckle. replace cylinder and reattach rods and retainer clips and continue with time on getting the clip back in securely. The hardest part about the job is the clip. had to replace both of mine when I got the MJ as one lock had a key broken off in it. I left a lot of the obvious stuff out .. you can also drill one of the handle bracket rivets out to get some extra arm room, just rpleace with a short bolt and nut ... plenty of room.

Don't break the plastic clips or you get to have fun trying to match up the correct clip size at the parts store. Tie string to the rods once unhooked ... makes driving around for a week without the above broken clip easier, and gives you something to tie the rods up so the don't fall back inside the door.

I bought a set off ebay for pretty damn cheap ... Omix-Ada brand ... been fine and functional since July-ish

I want to know how you plan on pulling the tumbler out of the column without breaking the column, since you MUST have a key to remove the ignition cylinder.

should have gotten a spare made. 

That is not exactly right......Spend some time on Google and you will get the procedure......You will have to pull the wheel...remove the indicator switch...then it just takes a push with a flat screwdriver....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually that wasn't the trouble I had. Thanks though lol. I had just bought the vehicle and piled up a bunch of parts and grabbed the keys to go outside and fix it. After I dropped the parts in the back, I went to start and move it...but the keys were gone! Coulda dropped them or put them in a pocket with a hole, or put them somewhere momentarily. Anyway I lost them and looked for days inside and out, even though it snowed the next day, and I've strip-cleaned my living room since then and I'm forced to suppose they're lost outside under a few feet of snow and ice. Oh well. 

for anyone else reading this,

its not hard to make your own keys,

the tough part is getting the lock cylinder apart.

Once you can get at the tumblers you file down the blank key you started with till all the tumblers are centered.

Just don't take the shortcut for.the door lock and try to match the glove box lock instead (like I did).

The glovebox lock uses the same key, but  with one less tumbler.

So a key made to fit that lock won't have the last groove  cut to fit the door lock.