Used Gears?

Is there anything wrong with putting used gears in a d30? Obviously I'll be going over every gear to make sure there's no issues and what not, but assuming they're not chipped or cracked, should they be safe?

And I can't find where I read it, but is it true that all 2.5/5spd xjs came with 4.10s? Hunting down a limited slip/4.10 8.8 for the mj and don't want to drop $500 on new d30 gears

if i recall, the 8.8 is narrower and may require wheel spacers depending on the rims you use.  The XJ Chrysler 8.25 is the same width as the D35 and D44 for the MJ.

I say swap the entire axle.  At my P&P its $90 out the door for an axle. all i would need to do is drop it in. Otherwise unless you can set gears, the getting the gears set up will cost about $250 or more per axle...  

part of my problem is my P&P does not seem to get 2.5 jeeps with 4wd...

Setting up gears is not that bad. The biggest thing with used gears is you want the pattern as close to the exact set as before. Alot of times this is not possible but is optimal. What I did was paint the old gears i was re using for pattern and took lots of photos at different angles of the pattern so I could try my best to match it. It just adds one more thing to setting the backlash and pattern.

I would suggest you get new bearings even with used gears. Take your old bearings and sand them so you can make some "setup bearings" It will make setting your shims much easier. Keep in mind the dana 30 is shimmed inside of the bearings, so the bearings have to be pulled each time from the carrier When setting the pinion don't install the baffle spacer until you're 100 percent sure, because it is a pita to get out with out damaging it.

I, too, would advise grabbing the whole axle, but the cards are in your hands so it's your choice.  A C8.25 is a good choice and is readily available behind XJs.  There is no carrier break for the 8.25 and 4.10's can be readily had if your XJ donor doesn't have a 8.25.  I lucked out and got both front and rear axles with 4.10's for my XJ for about $250 at LKQ on a 50% day.  Would have been cheaper if I had taken the brake assemblies of the rear since it got a ZJ disc brake conversion right after that.  Mine came from a '94 with 2.5L/AX5 and thus the rear is 27 spline but still a huge improvement over the turdy-five.

Some folks will say that you should always use new gears .... and while I'm sure that's the best option, used gears can be set up well enough to be just fine.

I also think that its even less of a problem in the front axle, where the gears get much less use.

nothing wrong with using used gears at all but what i want to know is, what gears for the 30 cost 500 bucks..... i went with G2 gears and it was 150 with free shipping. not the best gears out there but with the people in my local club beating the $#!& out of them, they'll be fine.

i also went 8.25. no 8.8 tube issues or weak carrier

Used gears are fine they just need to be set up correctly. I would look harder for a complete axle I picked up my D30 for $100. You can definitely swap the complete axle faster with less headache than setting up the gears, and if you don't need to turn in your old axle for a core then you have some spare parts.

Yes, the XJs came with 4.10s...........that's where I got mine from.

But the question was whether ALL 2.5L 5-speeds came with 4.10 gears, and the answer is no. Chrysler standardized on 4.10s for the 2.5L somewhere in the 1990s, but AMC era 2.5L 5-speeds might have 3.73s or 4.56s.