88 long bed, bed bob, full width axles, plow, bumpers!!

lookin good jamminz.gif

looks like you need a new shop once the suspension goes in that is :P

looks like a tight fit allready xD

This is it, suspension is in and its sitting on its own... This is the ride height I was going for and it came out almost perfect, low and mean, 6'8" to the top of the cab. 4.5" coils up front and SOA on stock MJ leaves is all you need for 38" tires.... :cheers:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not much progress right now, I'm doing some rust repair on the frame and getting the transmission crossmember bolted/welded on. Also re-gearing the front to 4.10's to match the rear with some used gears. I need to get this out of the garage and pushing snow soon!

• 1 month later...

Minor setback... The U-joints were welded in the axle shafts. I've heard of tacking a cap, but not laying a bead of weld around the damn cap. So these shafts are pretty much junk, I managed to save the short side inner but the stub is toast... On the lookout for 35 spline stubs and hubs or drive flanges now.

166522_1575957557982_1206893872_31319825_7672094_n.jpg

• 5 months later...

are you planning on doing radius arms with heims? if so don't. the upper arms have to have give in them. hence rubber bushings. if you put heims in the upper control arms it will rip stuff apart, or it won't flex at all. if you are set on using heims, and doing the radius arms, then only put one upper on. that will work fine. but with the 2 on there it will try twisting you axles, and it will find something it can break off. just letting you know. i know from personal experience. nice build though, i like where you are going with it.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, back on tract here! I was out of work for a while and wandered the country randomly for few months, got a new Job last fall, and have been busy working! I haven't touched my TJ or the MJ in a while now so its time to get back to work.

nice beater :cheers: . how did you mount the tranny Xmember? just bolt on or bolt/weld?? and did you make it or is that the clayton xmember?

Bolt and weld. I made it myself, but it is a copy of the Clayton xmember, why try to reinvent something that works?

are you planning on doing radius arms with heims? if so don't. the upper arms have to have give in them. hence rubber bushings. if you put heims in the upper control arms it will rip stuff apart, or it won't flex at all. if you are set on using heims, and doing the radius arms, then only put one upper on. that will work fine. but with the 2 on there it will try twisting you axles, and it will find something it can break off. just letting you know. i know from personal experience. nice build though, i like where you are going with it.

I have a TJ setup the same way, Currie JJ on one end of the lower arm and a stock Jeep bushing on the axle end. The short upper gets a JJ on the axle end and a heim where it attaches to the LCA. Yes, radius arms bind and limit flex, but I have 14" bilstiens on my TJ with this setup and use almost the whole shock. I do go through the stock Jeep bushings about once a season. I don't think I would ever do a 3 link on something that is driven on the road, but thats just me.

And make sure you put some side supports on those (especially the passenger side long one!) upper link mounts. Those need some serious triangulted support or you WILL bend them eventually.

Of course, your not seeing the finished product yet just slow progress of a build here...

228175_1806214354258_1206893872_31662292_5895442_n.jpg

• 6 months later...

New rear driveshaft from Trattons for $200. But even after all my measuring its at least an inch to short for comfort. It didn't come with a slip yoke end, so I reused my stock one. But it turns out the xj/mj yoke is pretty square and binds against the driveshaft at about a 5 degee angle. From a little google work people are selling these extended length high angle slip yokes for XJ's that are 5/8" longer and are moure U shapped. Turns out they are stock YJ yokes and people are sellling them for $75 and up. I'll post up some pics of the new yoke I bought off ebay for next to nothing. But that extra 5/8" isn't enough, luckily I have the anti wrap spring perches that I can move the axle forward or back 3/4". So with that I should have enough spline action at the slip yoke

402475_2705944846958_1206893872_32281699_986395086_n.jpg

Well :roll:

I received my new high angle yoke today, works great but its less than 1/4" longer than the original. With everything together I had just under 1" of spline engagement at the t-case. So for the 1,753rd time I removed the rear axle... Luckily I used a set of those long anti wrap spring perches with the extra holes in them :D I just had to drill out the hole slightly larger to fit over the center pin on the springs and slid the axle back up and now 1" further forward... I now have just under 2" of spline engagement at the t-case. Everything is good to go. Next step is to bleed the brakes, torque down both pinion nuts, gear oil front and rear, finish installing new radiator, new hoses, relocate battery to the bed, make new cables, attach crossmember to "frame better, build rock sliders, exo cage, vortec 6.0L, 4L80, atlas... :o Whoop's, some of those might be on my wish list and not my to do list :mrgreen:

More pics to follow...

403160_2733866704987_1206893872_32288471_2050005493_n.jpg

stock xj/mj yoke on right, stock YJ yoke on left. The YJ yoke is also advertised as an extended length high angle upgrade for XJ/MJ applications.

418232_2735170857590_1206893872_32288851_1485052006_n.jpg

Here is the stock yoke, you can see how this just won't work. I had a bunch of pictures on my phone comparing the 2 yokes and how much better the YJ joke works but they vanished off my phone??? Kinda pissed me off, junk phone.

405849_2735191458105_274609613_n.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...