88 long bed, bed bob, full width axles, plow, bumpers!!

Not bad. Although 5.13s would have been sweet. :D

4.10s? Or just 3.55s?

4.10's... the rear 60 we are using already has 4.10's as well. Not that it matters, doubt the old 4.0L will push 38's anywhere with 4.10's...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 core all metal radiator, $166 shipped from www.radiatorbarn.com

2h3rdpt.jpg

Removed the radiator, and all the a/c related items. Also removed the air box and battery, going to need to rework part the the inner fender for tire clearance and full stuff, will be moving the axle forward a little bit as well to keep the tire out of the cab floor. Will be moving the Alternator up to where the old A/C compressor was. Not pictured is a new fan switch relay harness I made up, a 91+ thermostat housing, and a new sensor switch to control the electric fan (we'll see if I got the temp switch right) fan on at 210, off at 195...

28svt76.jpg

New 3 core all metal radiator, removed all the a/c stuff, relocated the alternator to where the a/c compressor was. Also converting from the old renix cooling system to the newer HO system. 91+ thermostat housing with a thermometric switch to operate the electric fan, on at 210 off at 195 (we'll see how that works...) Plus a new relay and wiring harness to run the electric fan. The only problem I see is not enough belt contact on the fan pulley for it to work without slipping.

And I forgot to change the settings on my camera so little pics...

29p2lpl.jpg

little bracket I made... Cut it out with the plasma, ground it all smooth. I used a metal tube from inside a shock bushing for a spacer behind the bracket and used the stock a/c bolt.

2r4lms7.jpg

14ujrs7.jpg

bgqul1.jpg

Well, found some pretty good frame rot just on the pass side right in front of the spring hanger. I went to put the jackstand there and as I let the jack down the frame started crushing. So I chipped away at all the loos stuff and came out with this. It looks the same on the back side of the frame. The drivers side is fine though and I don't see much more rot anywhere. But its discouraging to see the complete lack of frame material. Lots of plating going on here.

9r2kis.jpg

But anyway, got the rear axle temp mocked in place to see how its going to sit. This thing is going to be low and wide.

34r6jcx.jpg

ej92t4.jpg

vs185h.jpg

Too bad on the rust... I sure have seen this before!!!

I clad mine inside and out with .125 sheet steel. then capped the bottom with another piece of .125" I had bent into a "U" up so the sides where located 1" up instead of right on the corners. Then welded it entirely around.

CW

cut the bad metal out with the plasma, then made a patch panel out of 3/16" will make another small piece to tie the spring hanger to the patch panel since I wandered off my cut line and didn't get a straight cut :roll: I'm going to stitch weld the plate to the "frame", with Hobart set on 2 it leaves a nice weld and doesn't burn through. I plan to plate the bottom with 1/4" plate and ramp up the spring hanger to beef it up, its already bent from wheeling. The rest of the frame will get plated with 3/16" 3"x3" angle iron stitch and rosset welded.

35jj7y9.jpg

s17zf6.jpg

29mrpjk.jpg

2mz9q4w.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly... All the wheel studs were @#$%ed and 1/2" anyway, got all new 9/16" studs and nuts from http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com good prices on stuff with them to and fast shipping. We also have some disk brake calliper brackets on order from a vendor on Pirate4x4, $45 for the pair...

205fd3s.jpg

Got the front axle hung in place, literally :D Its actually hanging right where I want it with the correct ride hight with the springs we'll be using. Now just need to build mounts for the radius arms!

jrz3wk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

started building a new crossmember today but otherwise no real progress, just a fun pic...

38x15.50R16.5 Swamper radials on recentered H1 rims, 3.5" bs'ing

zt6tuc.jpg

37x13.50r17 Toyo MT's on 17x8 H2 rims with 5.5" backspacing

9itxrq.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well its been a long time since I've worked on the Manche, I've been pretty busy with no time to play. But here is a little update of stuff I've done in the last week.

Kerosene heater!

Slightly warmer than the 12 degree outside temp...

Here is my crossmember, all 1/4" stuff...

Dana 60!

Its wide!

Made up some control arm/shock/spring mounts in autocad and had them cnc plasma'ed out.

opqtcl.jpg

And lastly, started on a truss for the D60. I'm doing a radius arm style suspension and need a good place

to mount the upper link mount.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a little work out in the garage tonight. I got the drivers side LCA/shock/spring mount tacked in place... Well, more like half welded on. Made the little piece on the side to bolt the mount to a fin on the side of the diff, i'll probably weld that bracket all the way around. I also took apart the drivers side hub, brakes, and spindle. I'm going to be making a bracket to convert the brakes to a K20 caliper and rotor instead of the huge dual piston Ford Calipers. The K20 calipers seem to be a very good match to a stock Jeep master cylinder.

• 1 month later...

Its finally warmed up enough outside that i'm a little motivated to work again, it hit 40 today! But i didn't get much done, mostly just cleaned the garage...

But I had the garage door open and did a little work.

I got the pass side mount together and tacked into place.

mt70xg.jpg

Got most of the pass side UCA mount made out of 1/2" thick plate, going to plasma out some cool gussets for it..

2n894cj.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Pretty slow progress, finishing up my last semester at school but still get a little done on the manche here and there. How is this for a lower control arm? 2x2 sq .25 wall, 2.63" currie johnny joint with a 1.25" threaded end, and a poly bushing on the other end.

f2iar.jpg

• 2 months later...

This must be the worlds slowest MJ build... I really only work on it in my spare time and I am not in a real hurry to finish it. But, we might be moving by this fall so we started cleaning and figuring out what we want to keep and get rid of. I have tons and tons of parts, its crazy. But anyway, high on the list of things to do is get the MJ to the point it can be moved in the next few weeks. So I might be adding a few more pics.

Here it is with the 38's on the front, can you say wide?

35390_1358147152858_1206893872_30868172_7880016_n.jpg

28448_1358144952803_1206893872_30868169_5365109_n.jpg

36024_1358146432840_1206893872_30868171_7582427_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This must be the worlds slowest MJ build... I really only work on it in my spare time and I am not in a real hurry to finish it. But, we might be moving by this fall so we started cleaning and figuring out what we want to keep and get rid of. I have tons and tons of parts, its crazy. But anyway, high on the list of things to do is get the MJ to the point it can be moved in the next few weeks. So I might be adding a few more pics.

Here it is with the 38's on the front, can you say wide?

35390_1358147152858_1206893872_30868172_7880016_n.jpg

realy like the look of those tires but looks like there a bit to forward from the center......that's my opinion

very nice job image_209027.gif

Yep, its 3-4 inches forward. The only way you can keep the truck low and run big tires is to push the axle forward or cut a hell of alot of metal out of the way.. Its easier to trip away the stuff near the front of the fender, which I didn't do yet. With the axle in the stock location the tire would be into the floorpans just sitting there in the garage. I am only running 4.5" coils with the 38's.