88 J20 Turbo Diesel

I purchased my first Comanche a few months ago out in Illinois. I am from PA, so we made the long drive out to bring this awesome truck home

My dream for a diesel Comanche started last year at the PA All Breeds Jeep show. I saw a company that did Mercedes diesel swaps. I also saw an 88 J-20 at the Mount Zion Offroad booth. This truck was awesome, and made me look into a diesel swap. I contacted Mount Zion Offroad and they said they would be able to help me out with my project. Fast forward half a year. I took my Comanche out to Mount Zion Offroad for them to take a look at it to see what was involved in converting it to diesel. When I arrived, I saw the 88 J-20 sitting out front so I inquired about it.

The truck was everything I wanted to do to my truck, but on steroids! It was well put together, had a solid frame and axels under it, and best of all, it had a Cummins turbo diesel under the hood! It is essentially a restored J-20 body, stuck on a Dodge 1 ton chassis. It drives awesome too! Short story made even shorter, I traded in my Comanche keys for an 88 J-20. If you want to track my first Jeep truck, the Comanche, keep an eye out on Mount Zion Offroads website. It should be for sale in a few weeks. http://www.mountzion...igsforsale.html

I'll post up a bunch of photos below, because I read elsewhere on the forum that everyone here is too lazy to read or click links. =) Feel free to ask questions.

Here are some photos of the 88 J-20 and the 89 Jeep Comanche, followed by photos of the J-20.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't know, I've only driven it 3 times. :(

Immediately after purchase, I realized it had a leaky water pump. So, I could've spent $60 and fixed it. Do you know what I did instead? I pulled the whole engine, added a bigger turbo, 150hp injectors, new fuel pin, and sandblasted and painted along with new seals and gaskets. I also added a water methanol injection system. I went from 160hp to over 320hp. Over 100% hp increase! As soon as it was out of the diesel shop (East Coast Diesel) it went to Hummelstown, PA at Posies Rod and Custom. They installed Dakota Digital glass display panels, heat and air conditioning, and a few other goodies including electric door locks. Once it left that shop it went to Mount Joy to an upholstery shop where it received a complete interior makeover. The interior went from tan to black, and Dynamat Extreme was installed for extreme sound deadening. It is due for inspection on July 8th, then I can finally drive it again. Right now I am installing a winch in the front bumper, and wiring Rigid LEDs in the back bumper, along with a brake controller. On July 17th I'm headed to Killington Vermont on a Jeep Jamboree. The truck will be my tow rig for my Wrangler. Once I get the truck inspected and all the new bugs worked out from all the modifications I did, I'll post some pics.

All of the above started from a leaky water pump... ;)

• 7 months later...

I wish I was able to post photos, but it won't let me right now. A lot has happened since this article. Interior all in black, painted engine, 10k lb winch in the front bumper, LED Trucklights, and much more. I used the truck to haul my Wrangler to Killington, Vermont for a Jeep Jamboree and it did great in the twisty turny hills! With the engine upgrades, it will do a nice rolling burnout in 3rd. (Video to prove it) =)

JP Freek Magazine is planning to do a feature article on it later this spring. May issue maybe? Keep your eyes open.

• 7 months later...

Where to begin? I put many miles on the truck since last posting. It has towed my JK Wrangler to Vermont, and to many offroad trips to Rausch Creek. It took second place best of show in the PA All Breeds Jeep Show in York, PA. It runs great, it smokes a lot, it is insanely fun to drive. JPFreek did an online article which I will post the link here. JP Magazine is also doing a print copy in a few months. I'll try to post some pics soon.

JPFREEK Article:

http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=271240&p=74

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...