Need A New Welding Helmet

mpace6a

Anyone ever buy from weldersource.com? Need a new hood..old one is pretty rough, not that it was nice to begin with. Being the cheap arse that I am, was browsing amazon, somehow ended up here, found a miller hood advertised on amazon for $300 for only 72 here. Thoughts?

If its a true miller hood, id grab it. All of the internals can be replaced easily and fairly cheaply.

I spent $365 for my miller and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The large viewing area is just something else.

But I buy the cheap Harbor Freight auto hoods to keep at work and in the truck.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/872880-hypertherm-weldersource-com.html

Only one review, but seems pretty legit. Thanks for turning me onto this.  :thumbsup: Looking to retire my miller in the near future and move up to the Speedglas.

Hear good things about the speedglas hoods. Really like the savephace hoods though. Extremely lightweight, and the 180* field of view is pretty nice. Replacement filters are expensive though, since theyre curved.

I ended up ordering from cyberweld.com, $0.50 cheaper with free shipping. So far so good, and if it gets here tomorrow as expected it'll be 4 business day shipping. no complaints so far. Will update once hood is in my possession and let you know quality and such.

I plan on owning multiple pairs of helmets, in the end. I have heard nothing but good things about Speedglas, and they ARE really comfortable. I also would love a Save Phace once I get into TIG so the badass design doesn't get ruined. However, I have heard nothing about them, nor been able to try one on.

You ended up going with the miller, yes?

I mostly use a full face "large veiw" jackson average about 6hrs per day in it but I do have a speedglas only really use it for hand plasma turn the shade down to 8 and don't get the welders glow. Its a good helmet but would never invest 300+ in a hood get a 40 dolar jackson with an 11 shade gold lens and spend the balance on jeep parts... ;-)

Yea, i went with the miller 1600i titanium series. just a standard 4x5 shade hood, but the shade flips up, it has a built in grind shield. little on the heavy side for a hood, but i didnt notice when i was burnin some scrap together last night. so far i like it, lets see if it lives up to be as tough as theyre advertised!

I roll with Speedglass.

No way I would buy anything but their hoods. Components are easy to replace, hoods are VERY flexible plastic, which means that they are shock absorbent should they fall from any height, or have something fall on them.

Plus they work freaking awesome.

I roll with Speedglass.

No way I would buy anything but their hoods. Components are easy to replace, hoods are VERY flexible plastic, which means that they are shock absorbent should they fall from any height, or have something fall on them.

Plus they work freaking awesome.

I'm gonna look into speedglas for my next, whenever my brother gets into welding ill give him my old hf hood, keep the miller in the truck and get another for home or work if I'm still in a shop

Lots of good opinions here. I've got about a dozen helmets and I like them all for one reason or another whether it be their flexibility, to how ridged it is, even for how they sit on my head in a given welding application. I've got Miller Elites, a Speedglas 9100XX, I love my three Jackson Nexgens (two in standard Jackson helmets and the other in their lightweight Shadow helmet), a few Lincolns from their checkered past a couple years ago when they introduced the Vista (which I really don't care for) along with their most recent 3350 (which I very much enjoy), a few more Jacksons with EQC lenses, and a bunch of fixed shade lenses in Jackson hoods. My most versatile is probably the Miller Elite just because of the cost to buy matched with the cost of replacement cover lenses. My second favorite and most used are the Jackson Nexgens. They're a little more with the initial cost, but they use standard size cover lenses that can be bought at any fleet supply or hardware store if you're in a pinch and just need to get one.

If I were to recommend a helmet to someone, I'd definitely steer them towards a Jackson Nexgen, Miller Elite, or a Lincoln 3350.

• 8 years later...
On 10/9/2013 at 10:18 PM, neohic said:

Lots of good opinions here. I've got about a dozen helmets and I like them all for one reason or another whether it be their flexibility, to how ridged it is, even for how they sit on my head in a given welding application. I've got Miller Elites, a Speedglas 9100XX, I love my three Jackson Nexgens (two in standard Jackson helmets and the other in their lightweight Shadow helmet), a few Lincolns from their checkered past a couple years ago when they introduced the Vista (which I really don't care for) along with their most recent 3350 (which I very much enjoy), a few more Jacksons with EQC lenses, and a bunch of fixed shade lenses in Jackson hoods. My most versatile is probably the Miller Elite just because of the cost to buy matched with the cost of replacement cover lenses. My second favorite and most used are the Jackson Nexgens. They're a little more with the initial cost, but they use standard size cover lenses that can be bought at any fleet supply or hardware store if you're in a pinch and just need to get one.

If I were to recommend a helmet to someone, I'd definitely steer them towards a Jackson Nexgen, Miller Elite, or a Lincoln 3350.

I have a cheaper $70 generic self darkening helmet but I see helmets as much as $500. Is there big differences in their performances the more you pay or are more or less paying for a brand name.

On 10/9/2013 at 1:18 PM, neohic said:

I have a Jackson nexgen at work. The auto darkening lens went out in mine today after probably 5 years, I've had it 10 years at work.

They said I was going to have to replace it with a Lincoln viking piece of junk. I almost just left for the day lol. Until they found a new Jackson lens! Score. I think I'm thr only one left in the shop with a Jackson. I love it! I hate the Lincoln vikings. Absolute junk!

5 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

I have a Jackson nexgen at work. The auto darkening lens went out in mine today after probably 5 years, I've had it 10 years at work.

They said I was going to have to replace it with a Lincoln viking piece of junk. I almost just left for the day lol. Until they found a new Jackson lens! Score. I think I'm thr only one left in the shop with a Jackson. I love it! I hate the Lincoln vikings. Absolute junk!

I still have my Jackson truesight in the garage even though the lense went out. Loved that helmet. I just use two texas leather ones now both with arc zone lenses. Everyone thinks it looks silly till they look through it. 

• 6 months later...

Bringing this post back from the dead. One of my goals for 2023 was to start a YouTube channel documenting things I do in my shop, from welding/fabricating, working on jeeps/my comanche, DIY stuff, etc.

I made a review video of several of the hoods I've owned and what I think is the best bang for the buck.

Cliff notes: Miller Classic Series is a great backup hood, Miller Digital Performance costs too much, Vulcan ArcSafe is awesome for the money, ESB Sentinel is a waste of money. 

Good info and i totally agree on thr esab!

Professional welder on submarines here (stick, pulse, mechanized, and some tig) I only recommend a honeywell sugar scoop with a shade 10 insert from Arc One. Not trying to be a snob but everything else is literally a toy and I'm only saying that because ive tried just about every gimmicky  thing out there from esab, snap on ect. I didnt listen to the old timers. When i switched to this setup it was life changing. Now does everyone need this setup....no...but for the price about $150  you can't beat it. For hone my harbor frieght one does just fine!

download (3).jpeg

On 1/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, strictlyxjs said:

Good info and i totally agree on thr esab!

Professional welder on submarines here (stick, pulse, mechanized, and some tig) I only recommend a honeywell sugar scoop with a shade 10 insert from Arc One. Not trying to be a snob but everything else is literally a toy and I'm only saying that because ive tried just about every gimmicky  thing out there from esab, snap on ect. I didnt listen to the old timers. When i switched to this setup it was life changing. Now does everyone need this setup....no...but for the price about $150  you can't beat it. For hone my harbor frieght one does just fine!

download (3).jpeg

Ultimately it depends on your main process(es). It's like pipe welders using pancake hoods. For what I do (50/50 MIG/TIG) the plastic auto-darks are great, and I like the larger viewing area, but I'm a tabletop welder. Do you run a lot duel shield in that profession? Ever seen those dudes in 3rd world countries welding through a beer bottle or a fixed shade lens taped to a piece of cardboard? Gnarly! Hey I just got an idea for a video, the WORST welding "hoods"!