Buried Treasure? Maybe.

mpace6a

Down at the creek, behind my grandpas land, there was always an old wheel sticking up, buried well below the hub, always figured it was just an old wheel that got washed down the creek during a flood. Well, some of it washed away, and turns out theres alot more than just a wheel. The axle looks mid '20s we think. Anyway, took some pics, hopefully going to try to dig the whole thing up this week. Leaf spring is still attached on one side, as well as what we believe is a bumper mount. Only have less than half of the axle uncovered, but think there may be more than meets the eye. Either way, cool, and will be a fun undertaking. Pics, and opinions on what the axle may have come off of? Also, who thinks theres more than just an axle?

clearly an old rear, diff and all.

This is the still buried half.

Tapered axle tubes, below the tube is part of the leafs, and slightly below is a bumper mount(?)

Similar pic, with flash.

Wheel and hub. Too dark for no flash..but flash really sucks.

Another view of the hub.

All I got for now. Going back tomorrow with shovels. Digging with a pry bar just didnt work all that well. Thoughts guys?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what little can be seen looks like a pre '30's Ford. Shape of rim and differential. Being buried like that it's probably to far gone to try and salvage anything.  Clean it up, paint it and mount it in the front yard for a conversation piece. Or a zoning violation.

From what little can be seen looks like a pre '30's Ford. Shape of rim and differential. Being buried like that it's probably to far gone to try and salvage anything.  Clean it up, paint it and mount it in the front yard for a conversation piece. Or a zoning violation.

lmao

Actually, I was going to say those pieces look pretty remarkably preserved considering they've been buried by a creek for so long.  The spokes and rims would/should have rusted away long ago..... I'm curious what you come up with.

I'm gonna agree with Jim on this and put that axle as being 1928-1934.  Looks to me like a Ford "Banjo" axle - narrow center section and early production - before the "beefier" version that most rodders look for that had the wider center section and dual bearing supports for the pinion and whatnot.  If the leaf pack is curvy, it'll be after '32-'34 from what I've read.

But yeah, I agree, turn that axle on one end and put a mail box on the other......   Conversation piece or zoning violation........ hilarious!

Not to many locals who arent meth heads. Uncle of mine said the wheel that was previously the only part exposed has been there since the 60s. So it makes me wonder how much is there since it hasn't moved in 50 years, especially since that creek regularly floods way past its banks

Neat find, I have been digging some ford parts out of  a garage thats been closed up since the 70`s. From what I can tell mine are late 30`s I think I do not know this old stuff very well. I can post some pics maybe Jim can id them? Tons of neet stuff in this garge the fords drive line is all there flat head V8, tranny ,rear, and some small parts. I have been buying the antiques out of the estate and ran out of stuff I know so now its time to try flipping some ford parts.

Remember mom talking about when grandpa was trying to cross a flooding creek trying to get back home with grandma and a couple of the kids. She wasn't sure what year but it was a '20's something Hudson. They almost made it across when it stalled out. Grand dad walked up to a farm house to see if he could get the guy to come down with a couple mules and pull him out. He got back just in time to see it floating around a curve and out of sight. He chased it down the creek and was gone for several hours but they never did see it again. Not likely this is it. This was around Max Creek, near Joplin.  Mpace6a is North. And for those wondering, no grandma and the kids were not in the car when it floated bye bye. Grand dad got them on the bank before he went after some mules.

The creek near me is rock creek, goes all through independence, but outside of here i don't know where it goes. Plus, unless its odd like the Nile, id imagine it flows south

And title....maybe. its been on our land long enough ;)