Comanche Of The Month - July 2013

One 'Beast' of a truck this month fellas. Enjoy. :cheers:

MiNi BEAST's 1989 COMANCHE

Posted Image

MODEL AND YEAR
1989 Jeep Comanche

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:
95 4.0 H.O. all stock with future upgrades consisting of performance cam and head if I don't just go all the way for the stroker. ;)

DRIVETRAIN:
79 F250 3/4 ton d44 front and D60 rear with 5.13's Lincoln locked front and rear keeps it going for sure. AW-4/231 transfers the power for now while gather the last few parts for the external slave Ax-15/231 to soon be a welcomed swap to take the place of that weak auto. :)

COOLING:
Stock closed system radiator from 95 XJ with couple hood vents mantain the cooling of the MJ and aux cooler handles the fluid cool on the AW-4.

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:
Stock 95 XJ wiring harness throughout engine bay and dash. Custom spliced harness from dash to rear MJ harness, referring to the DIY tech section on the CC forum. Ignition.... I lost my key so took out key hole and now use a screwdriver to start the MJ. :}

STEERING:
1 ton crossover setup over the leafs on a set of custom hy steer arms. Drag link and tie rod are 1.25" dom tapped with 7/8"-18tpi to accept the 85' chevy half ton ends. Steering box brace supports the 2000 Durango gear box. Soon to be tapped for hydro assist.

SUSPENSION:
Went with simplicity and cheap really, but effective. Running spring over in the rear with extended shackles netting around 7" of lift. Front consist of 5" long shackles hanging under the front bumper attached to a set of 3.5" YJ front lift springs. This kept install of front axle easier and allows me to be able to change set up later on easy enough and keeps me on the road driving as I love driving my MJ everywhere.

INTERIOR:
Well with the HO swap I just kept going and took everything from the B pillar forward from the 95 XJ and put it right in the MJ. Bucket seats and center console makes it more comfy for the DD duties. Kept the carpet in as well to keep heat out come summer time and keep the heat in come winter time.

BRAKES:
Running a 2000 WJ master and booster setup with a XJ proportioning valve drilled for 100% power, ran to braided stainless steel lines to front stock 79' Ford 250 3/4 dual piston calipers, then ran to the back with SS lines as well to 84' chevy 1/2 ton front calipers. And with them 4 disc brake setup I have no problem stopping with the bigger tires and I am so impressed with the setup and wouldn't change a thing.

LIGHTING:
Nothing fancy just some silver stars for headlights, and have a few tractor work lights to light up the underside for night time rock climbing or the occasional night time underside trail repair. And for the rear tails I installed a set of LED clear lens and love them as they are bright enough to work as back up lights as well.

WHEELS/TIRES:
Ran the 40" Ground Hawgs and loved them. But hard on steering and D44 really so for a change of pace, went with a set of 36" Iroks on some 17" bling. Love the Iroks for everything! DD my rig and these Iroks are great on the road in rain and snow. And man do they hook up great in the rocks. Will be looking for a set of 40ish Irocks in the near future for sure.

MISCELLANEOUS:
Custom rear bumper, custom front winch mount, gas shock hood lift, custom 15 min paint job, still rust free!!

Best MJ story
Best trip by far was buying my first MJ in FL for $100 and driving it home to MI. No better way to learn your Jeep then a 1200 mile road trip. Was just me and the open road and it has ultimately sealed the bond of love between me and the Comanche.

What owner loves best about CC
CC is a great club for great people with at least one common factor, we all love the Jeep Comanche! From hardcore wheelers to guys like me that didn't know a thing about the MJ or cars in general, can relate and learn from one another and all benefit if not in learning new things about wrenching, tech stuff, but if anything meet new wheeling buddies and friends. I must say I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for CC and all the great members that make Cc. As awesome as it is. Proud to wheel a MJ!

Click here to view the article

Thanks guys! Truly a honor to be considered for Comanche of the month, but I would like to give a big thanks to everyone on CC as it is this site that I have learned the most and got most my inspiration from. So thanks again guys and gals. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • kryptronic featured this topic
  • 2 years later...