Free Xj!

a friend of mine got herself a Patriot and wanted to know if wanted her old XJ. It's certainly not the greatest Jeep in the world, but how could I say no? :D The end plan is that this will be the temporary replacement for my minivan (which will be given to another friend who's in desperate need of something reliable) as my DD around town.

the good: it's an 96 XJ, 4.0, originally a Cali car so it's fairly rust free, power windows/mirrors/locks, hitch, brakes, 8.25 rear, Gambler wheels, and did I mention isn't pretty rust free?  just the typical floorboard rust going on.

the bad: needs tires shocks and track bar, smashed pass doors, broken front/pass window, rear hatch is fused stuck, AC doesn't work, loud exhaust manifold leak, various oil leaks, power steering keeps frothing up the fluid, 2wd and it's an auto,

the pics:

391406_663190473696374_49378404_n.jpg

320437_663190540363034_429158946_n.jpg

431103_663190373696384_62317260_n.jpg

and I know I asked about this a couple years back when I originally helped her find the jeep, but what the heck is this thing again? is skynet spying on me? :rotf:

931180_663190197029735_1939684086_n.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good for what you gave for it. That thing in the headliner is for the crappy factory keyless entry remotes. I'd try draining and refilling the power steering fluid as that might help that, exhaust is probably a cracked manifold, and who needs ac in michigan anyways. Biggest thing I would be concerned with is frame damage from the pass side damage as it got both doors and the rocker.

Michigan's a lot like WI in respect to weather.  Yes, it gets insanely cold there, but it also gets freaking hot.  Those lakes really mess with the temperature, and MI had more coastal borders than land borders.  AC can be needed up there, just not for 9 months of the year.

the minivan has a slew of problems too, so this is more or less a lateral move in dd quality.  the XJ pulls to the right a bit but I'm hoping that's due to the horrible bald tires.  will be swapping them out with the 90's set of MTRs to see.  There's a very good chance I'm moving to Georgia in the fall, so this XJ just needs to last me til then (without costing a fortune).  Since the 90 and 86 MJs won't be coming with me, they can serve as donors for the time being til I figure out what to do with them. 

today's goals are to get the rear hatch open, investigate the power steering, and yank the front pass door's handle back into alignment so I can at least put a new piece of glass in it.

tomorrow's goals:  insurance and a plate.  stupid holiday.  delaying my playing with the new jeep....

Finding JY doors shouldn't be a problem but, from the looks of the rocker, the "B" pillar is probably bent. From the little I can see of it, the interior looks pretty good. Just the right color buckets and console for my MJ - Ooops, did I type that? It was just a random thought.

Glad to hear you're moving to the good side of the Mason-Dixon line. You'll like it down here!

Finding JY doors shouldn't be a problem but, from the looks of the rocker, the "B" pillar is probably bent. From the little I can see of it, the interior looks pretty good. Just the right color buckets and console for my MJ - Ooops, did I type that? It was just a random thought.

the b-pillar is definitely knackered.  the doors don't open at the moment. 

the 96 XJs have the 97+ XJs floor design so the seat undercarriage is a bit a different. 

...There's a very good chance I'm moving to Georgia in the fall, so this XJ just needs to last me til then...

You planning on moving to Georgia for good?

maybe.  maybe not.  It's hard being an uncle from 750 miles away. :(   I have a feeling I'll still be living in both states, just more there than here.

I have a 1996 back door, if you want it. I don't know how you usually drive to GA, but I'm right on I-77. It's red, though, not black.

edit to add:

Pretty sure I also have the front door glass, and I have a few track bars and brackets, but don't know which ones are good and which ones will allow some play.

I ignored my A/C not working for several years until the compressor froze up about 9 months ago. It contaminated the entire system with shrapnel so every major component got replaced with new. It also didn't help when they broke a fitting on the under the dash evaporator necessitating even more disassembly and parts. Anyway you might want to get one of those replacement idler pulleys if you want to defer decisions on what to do about it. That cold air blowing out of my vents now cost about $1800 vs what would have been a $3-400 conversion kit if I wouldn't have procrastinated. 

I have a 1996 back door, if you want it. I don't know how you usually drive to GA, but I'm right on I-77. It's red, though, not black.

edit to add:

Pretty sure I also have the front door glass, and I have a few track bars and brackets, but don't know which ones are good and which ones will allow some play.

I appreciate it. :D  but I should be fine.  there's a pullapart near me for glass and I've got a spare trackbar.  I've got no intention of replacing the doors, though I would like to try and pry them open.  I eventually got my van's door to open after someone did a hit-n-run one morning.  fingers crossed! 

96 should have R-134, yes?

for the time being, I now own 7 and a half vehicles.  5.5 of them Jeeps. :D

but by fall that will be down to 3 total.  :(

I think you meant 5 and youre keeping all of the Jeeps! lol

I wish I would get a free Xj :/ one of my other friends got a free XJ the other week!