Diesel Engine

I don't think it has a parts catalog, but yes to everything else.  This was definitely a Russian translation done to an existing Mazda service manual.  I suspect it was translated from Japanese to Russian.  I am in the process of taking hi-res scans of the pages and using an online program to do the translations.  It's not perfect, but it's at least legible.

Also picked this up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-6-54-PLATE-DIESEL-2002-2007-ELECTRONIC-ACCELARATOR-THROTTLE-PEDAL-/130899607791?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160  Contains both the accelerator position sensor and idle switch I was missing.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it has a parts catalog, but yes to everything else. 

In the yellow box in the bottom corner, каталог запчастей. Phonetically, that's "katalog zapchastey" I figure katalog will be pretty obvious, but "запчастей" is "of parts". Or so Google tells me. It's not in my dictionary.

I have no doubt you're right so I'm sure the interpretation of "parts catalog" is what's different between countries.  When I see that, I expect an exploded diagram of each sub-system in the vehicle with a description of each part and an OEM part number for said part, which is not present anywhere in this book.  They do have exploded diagrams and some system schematics that label each individual component, but they lack that one thing that would make it a true parts catalog - a part number.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Plans changed and the MJ is no longer getting this little powerplant.  I couldn't bring myself to do it.

A Mazda engine deserves a Mazda truck, so I picked up this little fella:

Actually, not so little at all.  GVWR is 4,640 lbs!  The big upside: the engine will bolt to the existing mounts and with a little swapping of the trans, that will bolt right in too.  I'll basically be left with wiring and plumbing of all the various systems (cooling, fuel, power steering, A/C).

Yup.  It was the perfect time to clean the engine bay and take care of all of the knick-knacks under the hood that I always wanted to replace and clean up i.e. gaskets, vacuum hoses, air breather lines, wiring, A/C line routing, etc.

I just couldn't bring myself to tear apart an MJ (and a 1992 at that) with an engine that has no problems other than some piston-slap and has never once left me stranded.

Now, a Mazda pickup with a blown head gasket...got no problems ripping that up.

One day I'll do a diesel swap into an MJ, just not now.  If I had all of my tools from my original shop I probably would have went through with the swap into my 92, but without my plasma cutter and welder I'm kind of up the creek as far as fabricating is concerned.  I needed a more direct swap and I should have that with the Mazda truck.

i bought 2 little ZERO hours, touring display 3.3L cummins motors a couple weeks ago that will go in my MJ. Got a junk parts truck that i will pull the motor out of and use for mock up for motor mounts and other fitting under the hood. should be firing up one this weekend to see how it runs then the rest should begin soon!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, I'm also on board with the Perkins, out of a Mazda B2200.

If that's not it, I'd bet a handful of air that it's Japanese. All the Jap trucks had diesel options. I suppose it could also be a BMW or something French, to cover the whole spectrum. All I know is it's not a VW since to my knowledge they never had a rear-drive, front-engined diesel.

Wasn't the Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup a rear wheel drive front engine diesel?  

Yeah, I'm also on board with the Perkins, out of a Mazda B2200.

If that's not it, I'd bet a handful of air that it's Japanese. All the Jap trucks had diesel options. I suppose it could also be a BMW or something French, to cover the whole spectrum. All I know is it's not a VW since to my knowledge they never had a rear-drive, front-engined diesel.

Wasn't the Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup a rear wheel drive front engine diesel?  

No. It was a FWD Rabbit with a big open trunk. Just another econobox.

Did I miss the specs on that Mazda engine for HP & TQ? How does it compare to the 4.0?

Did I miss the specs on that Mazda engine for HP & TQ? How does it compare to the 4.0?

I get asked this question a lot and you'd think by now I would have wrote it down somewhere.

To the best of my knowledge, the specs of this particular setup are somewhere around 75-80HP & 150Ft-Lbs of torque.  Yea, sounds pretty pathetic, but I nabbed this engine out of a Mazda Bongo workvan (think Ford Transit).  Mazda de-tuned the crap out of the engine for the Bongo application but the other vehicles that it's used in (Mazda 3 & 6) had an HP range of 119-141 and torque range between 240-270 (came in standard and high output).  So, the potential for increased performance is there - I just need to figure out how to do it.

As far as a comparison to the 4.0.  Dunno - I got the engine for fuel economy.  So, in that regard the 4.0 can't compare ;) 

Installed, but not yet running.  I work on it in week spurts here and there when I get time.  I'm at the wiring phase right now trying to integrate the diesel engine harness with the existing body harness by using as many stock connectors as I can.

http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/showthread.php/13955-93-B2200-RF-CDT-2-0L-Turbodiesel