Diesel Engine

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to do a diesel swap, but was told it is not a good idea to mount a diesel in a unibody vehicle. Guess I need a comanche first anyways...

I will keep an eye on this thread, looks like an interesting build.

XJs and MJs both came from the factory with a diesel, so it's certainly doable.

Yeah, I'm also on board with the Perkins, out of a Mazda B2200.

If that's not it, I'd bet a handful of air that it's Japanese. All the Jap trucks had diesel options. I suppose it could also be a BMW or something French, to cover the whole spectrum. All I know is it's not a VW since to my knowledge they never had a rear-drive, front-engined diesel.

If that's not it, I'd bet a handful of air that it's Japanese. All the Jap trucks had diesel options. I suppose it could also be a BMW or something French, to cover the whole spectrum. All I know is it's not a VW since to my knowledge they never had a rear-drive, front-engined diesel.

IIRC, the 2.2 perkins was based off of a jap 4cyl

2.2L Perkins

Close, but no cigar.  Perkins and the manufacturer of this engine did have a business relationship at one point.

looks kinda nissan to me, can I see more pics? Bellhousing bolt pattern?

Not a Nissan.

Getting closer, but not a Perkins.  This engine, in its current form, was never offered in any cars/trucks in North America.

eewww

diesel with automatic trans.   no fun.

That's a modern turbo, too.    I'm thinking newer than 95

Nah, it's a manual.  Doesn't have the shifter on top of the trans - it's a cables/linkage shift setup.  Turbo is a variable geometry turbo and it is newer than 1995.

Common-rail, direct injection:

Image Not Found

Bellhousing:

Image Not Found

Shift linkage:

Image Not Found

Another shot of the turbo:

Image Not Found