Diesel Engine

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

It's a 2.0L, 4 cylinder engine, BTW.  The block was used in a few passenger vehicles in North America back in the 80's.  The block has basically remained the same with different internals and new technology slapped on it throughout the years.

The MZR-CD is based on the basic Mazda RF diesel.  They basically just rebranded it the MZR-CD after they added the Denso commonrail system.  The RF's are known for good reliability and decent power.  The turbo and commonrail fuel system is supposed to help that out some.  I don't recall there being any balance shafts on this particular engine - I think that only appears on the newer (>2008) 2.2L MZR-CD.

I have some access to alldata, but it doesn't have what I'm looking for - only has domestic US vehicles.  Still looking if I can get my hands on a European or Japanese version.

Obviously, parts will be an issue.  Luckily, this same powerplant is used in European Mazda 3, 5, 6, MPV, and some others.  I've already been able to source critical engine component parts (timing belt, tensioner, alternator, injectors, injector pump) from outfits in the United Kingdom and Germany.  I'm going to pay out the whazoo for shipping, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  Got connections in the UK that may be able to help me out.

With the wiring I would start by doing a bunch of loop checks, that will at least help you get started by making pinout for all your different connectors, injectors, etc.

Might see if you can find some aussie owners forums for mazda's and ask around there.

4wd plans? divorced transfer case?

I've been eyeing the nissan RD28 engines, older ones non EFI, and will boltup to pathfinder transmissions.

I started doing loop checks last night, but I need to nail down a good way to record all of the wiring information so that I can remember it down the road as this is going to be a long, drawn out project.  If I can get my hands on an ECU pinout, that would be fantastic.  I've scoured the UK and Aussie forums looking for one, but have come up short so far.  I'm going to join up on a few of them and ask around.  It seems there are people out there that have paper copies and have helped out some folks who have asked for specific diagrams, but I haven't seen an ECU pinout for a diesel yet.  I'm also not sure if the Aussie's even got the diesel in their Mazda 3, 5 or 6 - I know the Brits definitely did.

The scapper in Japan did a decent job of keeping most of the wiring harness intact, but they did cut a few wires here and there, but I've already figured out where they need to go.  The biggest issue is a giant harness connection that went inside the cab that they snipped off - probably has about 20-25 wires in it.  I suspect some of them are for the ignition switch - probably some power wires in there supplying an interior fusebox.  Probably also have the wires in there for turn signals, headlights, wipers, etc - none of which I'll use.

Also found the relay that powers the ECU - just need to trace the wire back to figure out how to power that relay.  I think the starter relay was inside the cab and was snipped off so I'll have to grab another - can bump it over with a screwdriver for now.

No plans for 4WD yet, but I'll look into it when I get to that stage.

What about using visio for making your own wiring diagrams?

At least in my case I just have all Jeep to Jeep stuff, but yours is going to be somewhat nightmarish without good reference material, that was the biggest thing that kept me from going forward with some of that export only stuff.

The nissan ZD30 engine seems pretty sweet, but getting reference material would be a PITA, but at least there are aussies out there with that engine.

Ah, Visio - forgot about that program.  We have a program at work for making all of our wiring harness drawings called Mentor Graphics Capital.  It's way overkill for what I need so maybe I'll check out Visio.

Nightmarish may be an understatement.  I'm a glutton for punishment...

Looks all too familiar:

Only difference being that I had the factory wiring diagrams so that was just a matter of finding the right color wire and hooking it up.

I did get a few wires traced out last night.  I can now get power to the PCM and IDM (Injector driver module) by simulating a 'key on' position.  Also found the starter wire that will need to be attached to a relay, but I can apply 12V to that (with a large spark) and get the engine cranking.  Need to setup a remote fuel canister with return and see if I can get this thing to start up.  Judging by the low-pressure rubber hose connected to the diesel injection pump I do not believe these engines had or required a lift pump.  I know the Mazda passenger vehicles had a primer pump mounted under the hood, but I should be able to hook up fuel, crack the injector lines and bleed out the air to get it primed.