Project Comanche Chief

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks beefy but it's only has 61 feet of pipe in it....... he only wasted one 2 foot piece in the whole project..... he'd probably tell you I could roll it off a mountaintop in Harlan and still drive it back on to camp..... :)

Since I sold my hood I'm going to need a new hood decal..... Figured that my Manche is an AMC and should be badge as such ....... wouldn't it have been cool if AMC had made an Off Road edition MJ....opinion are appreciated ..... : )

Got the cage painted and the Dash Mocked up, I took off a little too much in a couple places but I plan to swap over to 97+ harness and Dash as a winter project so I'll just leave it for now. This would have been a great time to do it but we have a big ride next month and don't want to miss it. Here's a couple pics........

I gotta tell a that your tube work looks impressive. I work in the tube fabrication industry (this week I was in tube bending shops from Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Several in upstate Arkansas . These facilities manufacture products ranging from heating/air-conditioning, automotive and motorcycle exhaust to military and aerospace parts) and I occasionally see some "backyard" work that really looks good,and is well thought out and executed. Yours is outstanding. Are you considering a set of tube doors to complete the package?

I was lucky enough to spend the weekend working on the MJ, I got alot done but not quite as much as I'd hoped:

Drilled 7/8th holes in A-Pillar supports ( front of dimple die fit but the back was too small to fit between the roll bar and A-Pillar)

Modified Defroster ducting to miss the A-Pillar Support Bar.

Installed 96 brake pedal and brake light button (I now have brake lights)

Installed new Heater fan motor

Installed new heater fan speed control

Installed new heater vacuum lines ( I now have a functioning heater an defroster)

Installed dash

Installed Tilt Steering Column

Picked up a piece of Lexan for the back glass

Here are a few pics of the installed dash.....

No pics of the roof...... I wanted two center bars so I could build a console between them but my cage guy talked me out of it in favor of 1 bar down the center and more "Helmet" room.....

Worked on getting the 04 WJ seats into the Comanche yesterday...... Had to drill out the spot welds on the Donar 96 bracket then drill out all the spot welds on the floorboard support in the MJ..... I didn't get the passenger side done but I did get the drivers welded up. It sits a couple inches higher than my worn out bench which will help with visibility on the trail.... here's a couple pics.

Windshield guy stopped by last night and put the windshield back in..... if things go well i'll get the passenger seat and the rest of the interior in this weekend.  Then I'll get to start on Bobbing the Bed.....

Well I ditched work yesterday to try and get the interior of my MJ buttoned up before our ride next weekend. I had to make a mount for the inside of the seats that raised it about an inch. I also installed the side dash plates that I made out of Aluminum Diamond plate. I had to do some minor adjustment to the brake switch and then installed all the plastic and the rubber flooring. I bought a small cooler from Lowes and am eventually going to build a small plate to mount it to but for this ride I just used a bungee cord...... here are a couple pics, sorry for the poor quality the light wasn't very good inside the garage.

Went riding at an Off Road Park called IVY over the weekend and had a great time...... ended up sheering the teeth off my front ring gear and some minor body damage but all in all I was able to get back to the trailer under my own power and just before dark. Here is a pic of my ring gear and a few shameless poser shots.....

After sheering the front gear I was making full use of the winch quickly discovered a loose Ground Terminal... might have also done some rocker damage right here as well....

Thanks guy's........ Looks like I'll be upgrading the Dana 30 to a narrowed Dana 44HP soon..... I just hate to spend a bunch of money on the Dana 30, also because my next set of tires will be 38's.....

Thanks Bob...... by the way where are the pics of your MJ?  Seems everyone is patiently waiting for the big reveal.....  I ordered a new set of Dana 30 4.88 gears from Rock Auto last night...... $158.00 shipped to the door..... I'm thinking of regearing the Dana 30 then selling off it and the rear 8.8 as a set.  That should finish paying for the Dana 44 HP I'm building.

I too am waiting...and NOT patiently either. Will keep you guys posted as I get info.

Love the wheeling photos. The countryside and trails look great. I have not been in West Virginia in a coon's age. Lived in Virginia and Maryland when I was in Jr high and have only been back on work related trips. The trails look like a great mix of rocks and mud. I am so jealous I could pop. keep the pics coming, your rig looks great.

Thanks Bob...... by the way where are the pics of your MJ?  Seems everyone is patiently waiting for the big reveal.....  I ordered a new set of Dana 30 4.88 gears from Rock Auto last night...... $158.00 shipped to the door..... I'm thinking of regearing the Dana 30 then selling off it and the rear 8.8 as a set.  That should finish paying for the Dana 44 HP I'm building.