Sms Headliner Fitment Issues.....

a1500ram

It has been brought to my attention that the Headliners I have been custom making are not fitting like oe.

I made a correction to the assembly process and tried relaxing the back corners.  This helped, but not enough.

I am in the process of reconfiguring my template and working close with Skidoo_J on fitting the headliner panels.

I am shipping a headliner panel out tomorrow expedited to Skidoo_J for a fitment.  I believe I have the issue corrected with this template, but it will take fitting it to know for sure.  I am set make and ship as many headliner panels as possible to get this right!

The front edge was fitting perfect and the passenger side fitting great.  The issue seemed to be in the drivers corner not fitting.  Basically, the side to side length of the back edge of the the panel was short by approximately 1 inch.  Not allowing it to sit correctly and therefore not allowing the B-Pillar trim to attach correctly.

I modified my template by finding the center of the template and drew a vertical and horizontal line on the panel.  I cut along the horizontal line separating the front portion from the back portion.  I then cut along the vertical line on the back portion separating the driver and passenger back portion of the panel.

I reused the front portion of the template since the front edge of the headliner fit perfect.  I then reused the passenger side of the template since it fit great.  I then flipped the passenger side over to mirror the passenger side to the drivers side and immediately saw where the 1" was lost at.

Another issue with the fitment was the contour I was using on the back edge was to abrupt approx 45degree angle.  This cause the panel height to be taller than the stock panel.  I had originally built a forming buck for the headliner panel to sit in but it only account for the contours on the back edge and sides.  It did not take into consideration the contours in the rear corners.

With this being said, I have modified the contours to be more gradual than before.  This should allow the panel to fit better at the roof line.

I have made and shipped 17 total headliner panels with two of them I shipped replacements from the 1st correction I made.

I offered a quality and fitment guarantee that my headliner panels would fit with out any modifications.  The panels did not meet the guarantee.

I am a one man operation and a man of my word.  I will re make the headliner panels after the fitment issues have been corrected.  I will send another headliner panel to those who have already purchased them.  I still had two panels left to make on the ones that were purchased.  I have already been in contact with those Comanche Club members and are waiting on the template correction to be finalized.

If you prefer not to wait, I will refund your purchase price.

I honestly believe that I can provide the great quality headliner panel for the Comanche Truck community and it can fit without any modifications.

When I first set out to offer the panels, I did have access to a Comanche truck to test fit my panel design into.  It was a sun roof optioned truck, but they used an oe panel with the sun roof opening cut out in the panel.  I test fitted the panel at least 8 -10 times until I though it was a perfect fit.  The installation was not difficult and did not have issues with the B Pillar not remount correctly.  I don't understand why the template got as off as it did, but it did.

For those who purchased the headliner panel and have not installed them yet, I would recommend not installing and allow me to send you another headliner.  For those who have installed their headliner panel and are satisfied with the panel even though it had fitment issues, I would like the opportunity to send you another headliner panel.  I do not need the original ones back.

For those who would like a replacement headliner that have already purchased, I would need you to respond to me by sending me an email to SMSheadliners@windstream.net.  Please provide me with your Comanche Club username, email address, and your actual name and shipping address.   I have kept the invoices of the ones I have sold already and some of them only have your email address and some I have your name and address.  I just need it for re-verification.

For those who are on my waiting list, I do not want to send a product out knowing that it will not fit and will have to wait until the fitment issues have been corrected.

Please note this will not be an over night process and may take 2 -2 1/2 months for me to make and re-ship the new headliner panels.  I will make and ship in the sequence of when they were originally purchased.

I am dedicated to see this through and want to be able to provide the best possible solution for the Comanche Club and the Comanche Communities.

Finally, I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused but I will make this right either by making another panel for you or by refunding your purchase price.

I will extend the Comanche club group buy of $100 for the headliner panel already made and ready to install with extra material for you to have your sun visors recovered locally to those who are on the waiting list and for those who have not yet taken advantage of the group buy.  This offer will be good initially through the end of April but could be extend through the end of May depending upon how long it will take to get the exact fitment corrected.

I will await your responses

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds more than fair to me. I may take you up on the headliner group buy even though i've already bought the cloth kit to recover mine (the panel is not in what you'd call real good condition).

It's good to see a supplier in this field who stands behind his product. Too many just throw something out there and fade away at the first problem.

Sounds more than fair to me. I may take you up on the headliner group buy even though i've already bought the cloth kit to recover mine (the panel is not in what you'd call real good condition).

It's good to see a supplier in this field who stands behind his product. Too many just throw something out there and fade away at the first problem.

I appreciate the kind words.  If you decided to go with the panel, send me the kit back if you purchased it from me, I will even email you a shipping label and I will use the kit on your headliner panel.

Steve

hey steve, my liner will be delivered tomorrow says tracking info. will it be the one with the new mods? or the first design? if the first design, should i send it back in original pkg for you to adjust?

I tried sending you an email but it came back to me as non deliverable. 

It will have the second modification but will still have fitment issues.  I will not need the headliner sent back.  Please discard the headliner panel.  It will only aggravate you if you try to install it.

hey steve, my liner will be delivered tomorrow says tracking info. will it be the one with the new mods? or the first design? if the first design, should i send it back in original pkg for you to adjust?

I tried sending you an email but it came back to me as non deliverable. 

It will have the second modification but will still have fitment issues.  I will not need the headliner sent back.  Please discard the headliner panel.  It will only aggravate you if you try to install it.

ok, and thanks for the fast reply. no rush steve. whenever u get around to it. the screws that r holding mine up aren't in a place where i hit my head on them if i hit a bump. :laughin:

E-mail sent.

I have not yet tried to fit the headliner in my truck since it will be awhile before it gets back from the body shop. I am very glad to see a vendor admitting a mistake and offering two very good methods of correcting it. I will have no problem waiting for the fitment to be corrected and new headliner shipped out. 

Thank you for being a stand up guy/business man Steve!

I personally have not ordered a headliner yet because my truck won't be drivable again for a good six months or so and I just don't have the money, but when I do I will definitely be going through this vendor! I think it is very honorable that he has admitted his mistakes and offered solutions. Very cool.

Steve, I wish that I could deal with more people like you on a regular basis. I tried doing a little shaving on my headliner to get it to fit, but never thought to get out a tape measure. I'd be happy to cover the shipping cost of a replacement headliner. email inbound.

Anyone who ordered their headliner and Did not get their visors done by Steve I strongly recommend getting them in the mail to be covered. He does amazing work and is dead set on making it flawless. Here's his awesome job on the visors. And it's away to help out a gentleman who's so dead set on making this correct.

8574847817_f6a5a1198c.jpg

To re-state what RubberDuck has said...I will gladly cover the shipping on the replacement headliner. I can't see you bearing all the cost on this Steve, not considering the action you are taking here... ( further I will be sending my visors and paying for them to be recovered.) Pardon the fact that I did not send this e-mail yesterday...I was just to stunned by the offer to replace all the headliners supplied enmasse to the group. Now that is a guy that stands behind his product, his work and his word. WOW does not quite get it. I have not tried to install mine (truck still at painters grrrrr). Please let me know when you need me to send over the visors and how much to cover them and all the postage for them and the replacement headliner.

Cudos to you sir...you are a gentleman in the truest sense of the word.

buffalo b

Steve, I wish that I could deal with more people like you on a regular basis. I tried doing a little shaving on my headliner to get it to fit, but never thought to get out a tape measure. I'd be happy to cover the shipping cost of a replacement headliner. email inbound.

Sorry for the Triple post. My smart phone is not that smart...I should say the operator of the smart phone.

For those who are willing to pay for the shipping of the replacement, I say thank you. But it is not necessary. Since I do operate SMS Headliners llc as a business, I will write off my expenses at the end of the year. This might help me at tax time for next year.

I do really appreciate the offer and I appreciate the opportunity to work with each and everyone of you.

I have turned something I love to do into a business. It is no where near the level to where I could do this full time as of yet, but that is my goal.

Some people Like to play golf, hunt, fish, or rebuild their Jeep Comanche's, I like creating a headliner panel from scratch and seeing what it turns into at the finished process.

Again, thank all of you for understanding that sometimes there are glitches and I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to correct the glitch and make this right!

Steve

UPDATE #1:..........

Skidoo_J received the modified headliner today.

"It appears to fit the original liner contour better".

Unfortunately that is the only update I have for now. I will update this as the information comes in to me.

Steve

Skidoo_J has been a great help on this for me and with a little more fine tuning, I believe I can provide a great fitting headliner.

He has provided me with information that should allow the sides to fit better in the J on the sides of the headliner.  I have emailed him with several questions that I am waiting on a reply.  These questions should help me get closer to a better end result but I am afraid it is going to take me spending another 8 - 10 hours with a Comanche truck that does not have a sun roof option to get this fitting better.

I am going to see if I can source one locally from a member in the next 2 weeks.  I am shooting in the dark on this only because it took me 6 months of advertising locally to come up with the sun roof optioned Comanche.

I will post here on the pub and in craigslist locally.

Steve

God bless you brotha its refreshing to see people like you still exist... althought I will be probably just trying to recover mine myself (cause thats how I am hahah) but if that doesnt work out I will buy one from you. Great work man

God bless you brotha its refreshing to see people like you still exist... althought I will be probably just trying to recover mine myself (cause thats how I am hahah) but if that doesnt work out I will buy one from you. Great work man

Zack, Honestly for the price steve is charging at 100 I'd get on the list and buy one when he starts production again.   I tried to redo mine and there are alot of issues to encounter.  

first your existing headliner is 20 years old and brittle.   I mean you'll be lucky to get it uninstalled with out destroying the edges.   

Second The Velcro is stronger then the backer board so when you remove the panel.  One of mine tore completely off, the other partially off.

Once the panel is out removing the old foam from the board so you have a clean smooth surface is damn difficult.  And causes further damage to the headliner.  

Then if you're still stubborn like me and think I'm already this far.   The headliner material at joann's is about $30 for enough to do the headliner, then the spray adhesive is like $15 a can.   Even after following the directions my newly applied by me liner lasted about a month as i apparently didnt get enough of the old crap off the board and areas started to sag.    

This is why I jumped at SMSheadliners sale.      I was happy with the very first headliner he had made.  It's fitment was a little off, but damn it looked good.   Once he gets this thing perfected it would be worth a mint.   

Zack, Honestly for the price steve is charging at 100 I'd get on the list and buy one when he starts production again.   I tried to redo mine and there are alot of issues to encounter.  

first your existing headliner is 20 years old and brittle.   I mean you'll be lucky to get it uninstalled with out destroying the edges.   

Second The Velcro is stronger then the backer board so when you remove the panel.  One of mine tore completely off, the other partially off.

Once the panel is out removing the old foam from the board so you have a clean smooth surface is damn difficult.  And causes further damage to the headliner.  

Then if you're still stubborn like me and think I'm already this far.   The headliner material at joann's is about $30 for enough to do the headliner, then the spray adhesive is like $15 a can.   Even after following the directions my newly applied by me liner lasted about a month as i apparently didnt get enough of the old crap off the board and areas started to sag.    

This is why I jumped at SMSheadliners sale.      I was happy with the very first headliner he had made.  It's fitment was a little off, but damn it looked good.   Once he gets this thing perfected it would be worth a mint.   

I know it Ive seen the pcitures, but theres an amount of pride that come with saying yeah I did that. Yeah it make look good but I didnt do it. If that makes sense, and if I mess up at least I tired. Plus Ive got an old big @$$ american flag I'm thinking about using but we'll see you never know haha

Plus its a 100 bucks. Yeah thats super cheap don't get wrong, but to broke @$$ college with no job its not cheap by anymeans.. Damn If I didnt run truck here I would totally have a job and buy one of these