Sms Headliner Fitment Issues.....

a1500ram

God bless you brotha its refreshing to see people like you still exist... althought I will be probably just trying to recover mine myself (cause thats how I am hahah) but if that doesnt work out I will buy one from you. Great work man

Zack, Honestly for the price steve is charging at 100 I'd get on the list and buy one when he starts production again. I tried to redo mine and there are alot of issues to encounter.

first your existing headliner is 20 years old and brittle. I mean you'll be lucky to get it uninstalled with out destroying the edges.

Second The Velcro is stronger then the backer board so when you remove the panel. One of mine tore completely off, the other partially off.

Once the panel is out removing the old foam from the board so you have a clean smooth surface is damn difficult. And causes further damage to the headliner.

Then if you're still stubborn like me and think I'm already this far. The headliner material at joann's is about $30 for enough to do the headliner, then the spray adhesive is like $15 a can. Even after following the directions my newly applied by me liner lasted about a month as i apparently didnt get enough of the old crap off the board and areas started to sag.

This is why I jumped at SMSheadliners sale. I was happy with the very first headliner he had made. It's fitment was a little off, but damn it looked good. Once he gets this thing perfected it would be worth a mint.

I know it Ive seen the pcitures, but theres an amount of pride that come with saying yeah I did that. Yeah it make look good but I didnt do it. If that makes sense, and if I mess up at least I tired. Plus Ive got an old big @$$ american flag I'm thinking about using but we'll see you never know haha

Plus its a 100 bucks. Yeah thats super cheap don't get wrong, but to broke @$$ college with no job its not cheap by anymeans.. Damn If I didnt run truck here I would totally have a job and buy one of these

If you will send me the American flag, I will give you a headliner kit with extra material for you to have your sunvisors recovered locally.

There is a lot to be said about the use and display of the American Flag and I would rather give you a kit and preserve the flag.

If you want to go forward with this transaction, pm me your name and address and the kit color you need and I will forward you my address to ship the flag to.

Steve

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zack: The American Flag should not be worn as clothing or use as a headliner, There is only one correct way to Fly the American flag!

MJ Man: It's better that way than to be put to rest IMO. Its one of my grandpas old flags. He served in Vietnam and I would rather run it in my headliner than burn it and since the ends are what are all tore up and it is not able to be flown. So I appreciate your opinion and know where you’re coming from but I my mind its worth the idea.. Like I said, its an idea not something for sure going to do.

Edit: Well I guess that is against the U.S. Flag code. http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

Steve: you quoted me but you comments didnt post. Like I said, I respect you 100% and everything you are doing. God bless you for being a stand up guy. But let me try it and if I fail I will definitely buy one form you. :thumbsup:

Edited by Zack

Zack: The American Flag should not be worn as clothing or use as a headliner, There is only one correct way to Fly the American flag!

MJ Man: It's better that way than to be put to rest IMO. Its one of my grandpas old flags. He served in Vietnam and I would rather run it in my headliner than burn it and since the ends are what are all tore up and it is not able to be flown. So I appreciate your opinion and know where you’re coming from but I my mind its worth the idea.. Like I said, its an idea not something for sure going to do.

Edit: Well I guess that is against the U.S. Flag code. http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

Steve: you quoted me but you comments didnt post. Like I said, I respect you 100% and everything you are doing. God bless you for being a stand up guy. But let me try it and if I fail I will definitely buy one form you. :thumbsup:

Re-read my post

If you will send me the American flag, I will give you a headliner kit with extra material for you to have your sunvisors recovered locally.

There is a lot to be said about the use and display of the American Flag and I would rather give you a kit and preserve the flag or dispose of it properly.

If you want to go forward with this transaction, pm me your name and address and the kit color you need and I will forward you my address to ship the flag to.

When you get through with college try at least 4 years in the military and you might have a better understanding of where I am coming from

Steve Bennett, Retired, USAF

There is a lot to be said about the use and display of the American Flag and I would rather give you a kit and preserve the flag or dispose of it properly.

When you get through with college try at least 4 years in the military and you might have a better understanding of where I am coming from

Steve Bennett, Retired, USAF

First off thank you for your service. My grand father was in the Marines and to me I would rather it have a second life than for me to burn it. (which is the correct way)

Secondly when I commented, your responce wasnt on there.

Thirdly I will send you PM.

UPDATE:   Well it looks like Old man with MJ is going to bring his truck over Saturday morning for me to start modifying my template.   With the help from Skidoo_J and Old man with MJ, I should hopefully be able to start sending replacements out soon.

I will make one for Old man with MJ and then make one for Skidoo_J to test.  I believe all will go well and will start sending replacements out as soon as I can get to them.  Hopefully that will be Monday 4/15 when the first batch gets shipped out.

I will provide an update on the progress of the testing with Old man with MJ.

Again, I thank everyone for their patience while I work through this and for those who have contacted me, your panels will be headed out soon.  For those who have not contacted me, I will be in touch with you soon.

Steve

Progress Update:

i met old man with MJ today just before noon.

Had to finish a bronco Headliner and a set of fj40 door panels.

I started on the MJ and after 3 fittings I have a great fitting template.

I am going to make the headliner tomorrow, install it then I will remove it and cover it double check fitment and I will take photos and try to get them posted

Steve

:thumbsup: i think i might have to buy one. my rig has never looked right without one. are there color options or is it limited on what you have?

I am looking at a sample chart while typing this there are 48 different colors I can obtain.  What color were you looking for?

Steve

>>>>>  FINAL UPDATE, hopefully!  <<<<<

I made and installed Old man with MJ headliner today and it actually fit great!

I still have to upload photos to photobucket and as soon as I do that, I will attach the link.

Skidoo_J headliner will ship out on Tuesday if all goes well.  It will be a week long journey for it to arrive to him.  After he installs his headliner and if all goes well with his, I will restart production.

I believe I have all the issues worked out but want to make sure with Skidoo_J's headliner.  Again both Skidoo_J and Old man with MJ have been a great help on providing feedback and a truck to correct these issues.

I inquired on the purchase of the 1988 MJ that Old man with MJ owned.  He is not going to part ways with it anytime soon.  He is the original owner and truck was surprisingly in great shape.

Thanks again Jim and Jerred!

Steve

Below are the links to my photo bucket should be for public viewing.

These are photos take after installing Old Man with MJ headliner

I am waiting on Skidoo_J to receive his headliner panel and have him install it.

I or Skidoo_J will post the results of his fitment.

:thumbsup: i think i might have to buy one. my rig has never looked right without one. are there color options or is it limited on what you have?

I am looking at a sample chart while typing this there are 48 different colors I can obtain.  What color were you looking for?

Steve

ah i was more just curious about the options. id probably end up going with tan or something simple. never know though, i might end up trying to go crazy with yellow

Fitment issues are a thing of the past. This headliner is awesome. FIts perfect. All panels snug with out any strain. The liner is tight across the back and the front is perfect. I suggest anyone getting one has him do your visors too. I'm very happy.

8644975708_04c4d2871f.jpg 8644975840_0cd59cbf91.jpg 8644975696_d45da6b947.jpg

[media=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786][/media]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skidoo_j/8643880453/in/set-72157633234284128 http://www.flickr.com/photos/skidoo_j/sets/72157633234284128/

I am going to try and start making the replacements this weekend.  Skidoo_J headliner wasn't suppose to arrive until the middle of next week so I had made arrangements to get caught up on my Jeep CJ/YJ door panels this weekend.

I should be able to do 2-3 panels at a time to ship out weekly.  I don't have specific order on who gets what first.  So I will try to get the replacements out in the order I received comments from.  With me making 2-3 replacements at a time will leave room for me to make 1-2 more so I can keep an income flowing.  I hope this is okay with everyone. 

For those who are on my replacement list, I will go through the list getting yours replaced a soon as possible.  For those who have purchased and were waiting for the fitment test to complete, I will start on yours at the same time.

For those who received my panels but did not respond to my postings for getting on the replacement list, I will be contacting you individually concerning the replacements.

For those who are on the waiting list to purchase, please give me a couple of weeks and I should be contacting you in the order that I placed you on the list. 

A big thank you goes out to "Skidoo J" and "Old Man with MJ" for helping me correct this issue.  And a very big thanks goes out to the members on this site who have been patiently waiting for this issue to be corrected.

It is always Great to be able to work with and have customers just like you all!

Thanks Again!

Steve Bennett (a1500ram)

SMS Headliners, llc

Steve

thank you for having the class and integrity to post this.

I bought a Cordavan headliner for the $100 deal from you in January (PP sent Jan 11th)

I came here today looking for an install thread (I was FINALLY getting around to installing it)

if you don't think I should try,

PLEASE put me on the replacement list.

thank you,

and sorry you have to go through all this,

Jimmy

if you do need to send me a replacement, I'd like to send the visors + the material you already sent me & $$ for recovering.

Like the others I'd like to atleast cover the re-shipping costs,

either way,

thank you!

if you do need to send me a replacement, I'd like to send the visors + the material you already sent me & $$ for recovering.

Like the others I'd like to atleast cover the re-shipping costs,

either way,

thank you!

Please do not attempt to install the headliner I sent you.  It will just add aggravation and frustration that is not necessary.

I will contact you shortly a week or two on when to send me your visors and material.

Thank you for the offer to cover the shipping cost, but it is not necessary.  I will go into detail when I contact you and every other member on the site that I am sending a replacement to.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are still waiting on their replacements, I started production two weekends ago hoping to have made and shipped approximately 6 out by now but that has not been the case.

The template change has added a couple of more steps that I have to take to create the headliner compared to last template.

Also, wet weather has set in and this has slowed down production.  I am working from my paypal list of when the invoices were paid that I sent.  I hopefully should be finishing up those that purchased in the moth of January soon.  I am showing a total of 15 members that I still have to provide replacements that were purchased in January.

I have only 1 hour during the evening when I get home from my other job and then I have the weekends.  I try to do atleast 3 per weekend and whatever I can get out during the middle of the week.

Wet weather is a hindrance so I am having to work around that as well.  I still have to sell other headliner panels and kits to maintain an operating budget so some time has to go towards that as well.

I have members on a waiting list to purchase Comanche Headliners but my priority has to be focused on replacing the headliner panels that had the fitment issue.

Some have requested to send me your sunvisors for me to recover them and have PM those but with no response.

For those who purchased their headliner in January and you are wanting me to recover your sunvisors please send them now.

I do not want to post my address here so please either PM me or email me.  SMSheadliners@Windstream.net and I will send you my address for you to ship the sunvisors to and I will recover them for you.  In case your paypal email address has changed, I will need to know that to send an invoice for your sunvisors.

Your sunvisors will ship back with your headliner replacement.

I do have others who purchased in February, I will be getting to yours as quick as I can.  Thank you all for being patient with me on this.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Steve, Is it too late to send you my visors to be redone?

It is not too late.  I just shipped 5 replacements out on this past Monday and going to work on more this coming weekend.  Yours is next in line to be replaced.   Since your on the West Coast, I don't know how long it would take for your visors to get here...5 days.

I am going to be unavailable starting Saturday 6/22 - 7/7....long awaited vacation.   I would prefer you send the visors when I would be here.  Your headliner panel will be completed ready to ship on Monday 6/17 but I can hold it until your visors arrive.  It will not take long to recover your visors.  The day I receive them, that evening I could recover them and the next day ship them back to you with your headliner.  If you can get the visors to me before next Thursday go ahead and send them.  If you don't think you can, please wait to ship them to arrive after 7/7.  I will hold your headliner panel based upon your advisement.  Please let me know what you would like to do.

Steve

Update? - looking to see how the changes made have improved the fitment, and lead time if I place an order - thx!

Post #36 and #38 shows fitment in two separate Comanche's.  Lead time at this moment is 8/1 - 8/15 time frame.  Could be sooner.  Trying to focus on all of the replacements as much as possible.  I was shooting to have all the replacements completed by Friday 6/21 but I don't believe that will happen.  With what I believe I can finish this weekend, I should have only 2-3 left to replace.  I currently have 9 people on the waiting list to purchase.  If you want to be place on the waiting list please let me know, you will be #10.

Please PM me your Name and Address an email address that I can send a paypal invoice to when it is time too along with the color you will need.  About 2 weeks prior to when I am ready to start on your panel, I will contact you to make sure your ready and we'll go from there.

Please note the Group Buy discount has expired and the cost on the headliner panel is $135 which includes shipping.

Steve