Early XJ pic.... just had to share

dasbulliwagen

Am I the only one to notice that prototype has a leaf sprung front axle?

Yeah theres definently a pumpkin stiking down on the left side, thats not IFS were seeing, its a leaf sprung soild axle setup :nuts:

O yeah, I'm gonna also agree with :ack: but wouldnt it be super cool if we could find out if this thing is acctually hiding in a warehouse somewhere kinda like the Thundercheif? That would be heck of a find! :D

Clearly this is an early test mule, the body stampings(IE main chassis) looks finalized, but I would bet dollars to donuts the front end was intentionally obscured with that weird half @$$ grill for a reason.

It's entirely possible this test mule was meant for something like emissions validation tests....hence why it is not a production vehicle.

It had to be on the road for some miles, but they didn't want the final aesthetics revealed yet.

Those of us old enough to have been jeep fans back then remember that the XJ was panned as a huge POS and the end of the jeep line when it was introduced.

Think Volvo 240 wagon...

Seems to happen with every model, ZJ, KJ, WK, JK etc etc

Those of us old enough to have been jeep fans back then remember that the XJ was panned as a huge POS and the end of the jeep line when it was introduced.

Think Volvo 240 wagon...

Those 240s were upscale yuppiemobiles in the 80s. I've owned 3 of them [86, 89, 90- 2 wagons and 1 sedan] and they're tough as nails and easy to work on. Make great sleepers too with a v8 conversion.

Clearly this is an early test mule, the body stampings(IE main chassis) looks finalized, but I would bet dollars to donuts the front end was intentionally obscured with that weird half @$$ grill for a reason.

It's entirely possible this test mule was meant for something like emissions validation tests....hence why it is not a production vehicle.

It had to be on the road for some miles, but they didn't want the final aesthetics revealed yet.

:agree: