--- COMANCHE OF THE MONTH AUGUST 2012 ---

Not many members can say they have an MJ with under 50K... And such a fine example of one at that. Enjoy. :cheers:

---KNEVER3's 1987 JEEP COMANCHE SPORTRUCK---

MODEL AND YEAR

1987 Jeep Comanche Sport Truck

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

Currently none, but OE was a stock 4.0L. In a short time 4.7L stroker. '96 block and head

DRIVETRAIN:

Was ba-10/5 2wd but I converted to AW-4 auto 242J transfer case, custom driveshafts with cruise and A/C. I swapped the 3.07 axles to a '88 MJ Dana 35 rear and a '93 XJ country front axle with 3.55 gears. The wire harness and comupter is from a '90 XJ donor.

COOLING:

Stock replacement radiator, new water pump. New style electric fan for A/C. We will see if the stock replacement radiator will cut it, time will tell.

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

Stock for the most part. I added a keyless entry and power locks plus a new stereo system since it was a radio delete option. Hella e-code H4 conversion.

STEERING:

Stock

SUSPENSION:

Motion 3" progressive front coils, Hell Creek rear leaf packs with JKS shackles, BDS shocks. Adjustable track bar. Soon to be JKS adjustable upper and lower control arms.

INTERIOR:

Upgraded leather wrapped steering wheel, Alpine stereo, Zapco amps, Diamond Audio components, new carpet.

BRAKES:

'96 XJ dual diaphram brake booster, new brake lines and hoses, load sensor delete, stock pads.

LIGHTING:

Eumatec, otherwide stock.

WHEELS/TIRES:

'01 XJ 60th anniversary wheels, BFG rubber.

MISCELLANEOUS:

LineX bed liner

Best MJ story

My girlfriend at the time (now wife :D ) decided to go on a road trip to go see a Comanche to be used as a (Beater) until I could find a black 2001 60th anniversary XJ Classic. I contacted the seller who I could NOT understand or communicate with and after a few phone pictures we were off. I borrowed my friend's Duramax Chevy with his 28' car hauler and we drove to Milwaukee's hood to see the truck. Driving around Chicago during construction season was a white knuckle experience and I LOVE driving!! We parked and the truck was no where to be found. I called the seller and he was at work so we waited in the truck and I took a nap while my wife heard the ruckus transpiring throughout the neighborhood. I’ll get to that in a minute. The guy came back and it was the first time I saw the truck. Is it kind of weird to say it looked “cute”? It was a small truck, 2wd with tiny street tires on it. We tried to communicate and I tried to talk him down on his price since I figured by the condition it was worth a little less. We settled on a price we could live with. He then asked me if my wife was in the truck, I said “yeah” he said I wouldn’t park on that corner. There’s a lot of “deals” done on that corner and the houses are half way homes. I felt a little frantic because I had a nice truck and trailer that wasn’t mine and a load of cash in the truck. The cars rounding the corner were burning the tires, not to mention the suspicious panel vans. I loaded the truck as fast as I could and we hit the road. The GPS decided it was too rough of a neighborhood and took a vacation of its own so we just headed anyway we could to get out of town. After calling my sister for directions we were more than an hour in the wrong direction. All was calm from there on, we decided to go straight thru Downtown Chicago and the view was breathtaking and the traffic was fast and light. We finished our trip in 23 hours total and the rest is history!

What owner loves best about CC

This is where it all started, I give CC a lot of credit, the people are more than willing to give professional advice to help anyone out. The forum has been essential in upgrading my truck and has given me the opportunity to spend quality wrench time with my wife!

PICS!

Pictures from the owner’s cell phone:

When I got it home, first upgrade ’98 XJ wheels.

Under Construction:

First shake down:

On the horizon:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they had a smiley on here of someone hooting, hollering and whistling as these images pass my screen, insert it here. You truly have one of the cleanest examples of a nice truck that has the right touches of modification and restoration. A simple lift, some clean late model Jeep wheels, and the classic front end with a crisp black finish. Touches here and there to make it drive better, ride better, and be more comfortable... Only way it could get better is if you would have made it an extended cab. Your build thread is stellar, with steps and pictures of each step you take, and a steady progression of what the truck has become. I know you have a lot of onlookers drooling, myself being one of them. An asset to the Comanche Club, and an all around good guy. An easy pick for this month's highlight.

Keep up the good work, and enjoy your MJOTM spotlight.

Rob :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic