Anyone make home made front and rear bumpers?

Title says it all, my Comache's front bumper looks like it got yanked and bent outward. The rear is rotting away. So anyone made their own or have ideas/designs? Allowing for a hitch and maybe hooks for the front.

I made my rear bumper when I got the truck in 2005 since the factory bumper was rotten. I made the front probably the next year mainly for a better bumper with tow hooks (and to look cool of course).

The rear was real simple:

The front was a little more work. I angled the sides in, and welded hooks underneath. I have receiver tube mounted in the tube (hidden under the plate). I just drilled/tapped two 1/4x20 holes so it takes all of 20 seconds to take off the plate and use the hitch.

Hope that helps you out.

I built the ones on my truck, just find a design you like and start building. There are companies that sell the mounting brackets for the front if you didn't want to measure and drill all the holes.

I really like mine. brutishly simple and tough. :D built them with essentially an angle grinder and a drill, then had a local welder finish them up for 20 bucks.

2" hitch in the middle of both, 1/4" steel for the brackets. grille guard is from a CJ.

Its those simple ones I'm interested in.

Does that one have the bumper built around the receiver, or just a proper sized square. Do y'all use the factory mounting brackets or fabricate a set?

factory front mounts suck. they are only good for hold up an bumper and waiting for a crash. no good at all for yanking on to get you out of the mud. rear mounts are a bit better, but I did the same thing for mine, front and rear. I know there are aftermarket rear brackets out there. don't remember who made them though.

these are the ones I built, but I imagine you can get aftermarket ones by now. (bent by the same shop from which I bought the steel) this shot was taken during mockup so the pin hole for the hitch hasn't been drilled yet.

built my own clevis thingie. :D

and I put the pin on the backside.

My truck will never tow, so I built everything to work together, not caring if it might not work with aftermarket stuff. If you want to use aftermarket stuff, you'll need to take that into account. also, be very mindful of the square tubing you use. towing hitches flop around a bit in regular 2x2 tube. fine for offroad-only stuff, but less than perfect for towing. try to get your hands on the receiver-specific stuff if you intend to tow.

Neohic builds rear bumpers

:agree: This ^^^ I have 1 of his on my Blue 88 and am very happy! ;)

Glad to hear you're still happy with it!

The hopeful plan was that I'd start cranking out rear bumpers that are somewhat customizable. Cranking out turned into building one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33743

Really taking a step back from this at the moment. The house needs some attention this summer to the point that I'm doing doors, windows, roof, eaves, siding, and tearing down half of my garage and going bigger. Hopefully getting back to this closer towards the fall if anyone is interested.