want to own an SCCA Comanche?

Pete M

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

The only mold that remains is for the front spoiler. He actually gets questioned about that more than anything else. A few years ago, he had the mold touched up and had bunch made up. It costs him slightly less to have them made up than what he sells them for. With all the interest lately, he told me that he's considering having some molded. As for getting parts, there is a laundry list of people who contact him weekly and have been waiting for me to either purchase or step aside.

Anything ever happen with this, or are there any updates?

The only mold that remains is for the front spoiler. He actually gets questioned about that more than anything else. A few years ago, he had the mold touched up and had bunch made up. It costs him slightly less to have them made up than what he sells them for. With all the interest lately, he told me that he's considering having some molded. As for getting parts, there is a laundry list of people who contact him weekly and have been waiting for me to either purchase or step aside.

Anything ever happen with this, or are there any updates?

No updates that I know of. I've actually been trying to get in contact with John for a a while now as he owes me a box side piece of side skirts. Their building is for currently for sale... not really sure what the Archer's next move is. I'll ask him if he ever had another round made up when I talk to him next.

A little off topic but does anyone have pictures of the front suspension? I’d like to see how they modified the front axle and if they changed the control arm mounts. We have been running a modified 2WD axle in the XJ-R since 2009 but I’d like to see how ours compares to the Archer Brothers.

Also our team might have placed a few bids on the truck that was on eBay but the reserve was higher then what we thought it was worth.

The truck that keeps popping up on ebay has had the axle replaced with a stock unit. The whole front suspension on the race trucks were totally stock minus the coils and shocks. As far as camber adjustments, the Archers would just bend the axle to the desired degree. They did the same with the rear axles. Depending on the race, they had multiple axle sets for different corners.

Since we had no way to bend our front axle we just a small pie section out and rewelded it for -2.5 degrees of camber per side. So far it's holding up well. 

I know... I've been through your build thread many times.   :peek:

• 1 month later...

Sure, here are some early pictures of the 2WD front axle. Note we have since reinforced the control arm brackets and boxed the arms. We did notch the axle because we though it might be too close to the oil pan with the Jeep lowered but it turns out we have plenty of room.

sweet+shoes.jpg

axle+camber.jpg

axle+notch+2.jpg

Here is what we started with.

I think these were from 2009 when we were first testing things out.

eedc5650.jpg

ab9fcb68.jpg

Hotel parking lot turbo install in 2010

It's crude but it worked.

For 2011 we sorted the suspension because the rear was lifting up an inside tire in turns and fixed the limited slip. Since the turbo kit needed some more work we removed it and autocrossed it NA for the rest of the year. We couldn't make it to the 2011 GRM Challenge but that gave us another year to sort things out.

In 2012 we made a few changes but most noticeably was new paint, added an intercooler, bigger injectors, added some exhaust pieces, and spent more then 10 minutes tuning it.

3%2520wheel.jpg

jeep-awesome_1.jpg

For more info check out our build thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094822

Nice! Let me know if there is anything else you want to see or have any questions.

very cool.. I raced in the desert for almost 20 yrs.. and I remember curt leduc winning the 1000 in a grand Cherokee in trophy truck class with a straight six.. I'm curious what the specs on that were.

He's got a question

Ok.. IF I can find them..and that is a big IF... how to I upload pictures here. I want to upload pictures of my truck, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I am a professional systems admin, and an admin on another car board... but I are a noob here....

You've got to upload to another host site, and then link them into a post. I use imgur, but facebook, flickr, photobucket &c work just as well.

You have to do this lol I use photobuck and its pretty easy you can upload stuff from your smart phone and then just click the link on your PC and it will give you the IMG code

• 1 year later...

Figured I'd better put a pin in this thread and finish the story on this truck...

57958_400892506676285_1167248666_n.jpg

A couple years ago the truck was up for a sale a bunch of times on ebay. Didn't sell... didn't sell... then the then seller (Robert Hoemke) got tired of trying to sell it and planned on keeping it, getting it running, and racing it in vintage SCCA events. That didn't work out. He sat on it for a while when Bobby Archer took interest in it. There was another deal on the side involving another vehicle that Bobby decided to take the truck as partial trade. His plans were much the same as Robert's. That didn't work out. Again, the truck sat for a while in Bobby's shop (way in the back, so I heard) and he eventually lost interest in it. Had some great conversations with Bobby over this truck! Had a chance to buy it a few times too but the problem was he put together this huge lot with the truck that included fire suits and memorabilia and other period Jeep Motorsports stuff that the price just kept going up and up. Fast forward to this last May when the truck was sold again and was shipped out east. Mark German is now the new caretaker of the truck. Mark who? Mark was the president of Rugged Liner during the Jeep SCCA days and is still the current owner of the company. Apparently he's got a small display area in the Rugged Liner building that houses a few other original SCCA trucks. His plans are to restore it to how it would've been in 1987 and leave it to rest with its other SCCA rivals. Will it ever come up for sale again? I doubt it. It's in a private collection now much like the truck in the 1989 #33 Chrysler Archives, the 1989 #32 that was in the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America (where ever those vehicles disappeared to), and the 1988 #33 truck in CT. There were eight trucks built by the Archers from 1987-1989. These are the only four left. As for this one, I've been chasing it around for years now... and I think I'm done with it now.

I think it's two sided. I think the respect it deserves is to be enjoyed and out in the public. The best part about this truck was that it was one of the original trucks that the Archers built... then it was rolled and the roof reskinned... then it was turned into a spare truck until it was sold off... then it was raced under a different outfit... then it was retired and used as a driver... then it sat. Think of it like a yearbook to the SCCA Jeeps. It was around for each season that there was a Jeep competing in professional motorsports and it had the scars to prove it. If I had this truck I would leave everything mostly as it was. I'd take all the stickers off that the Archers didn't put there, cut and buff the remaining clear coat, get it running properly, and enjoy it. Granted, it wouldn't be put to its former glory but it had a great life and a bunch of fun was had with it. It'd still be the same truck... I think of it like a proper retirement.

Is it good that it'll be cared for and rebuilt? You bet!... but how many people will actually see it to spread the good word of the glory days of Jeep Motorsports with it sitting in a private collection?

• 4 years later...