want to own an SCCA Comanche?

Pete M

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob.Did you find out why the truck isn't running? I sent them an email but no response yet.

He doesn't know much about the engine other than the timing cover is off and the radiator was in the back.

Seriously thinking about picking it up Jim? Are we going to have to indian leg wrestle for it?

Rob :D

My main interest is just seeing it going to a good home and not getting scrapped. If you bid on it I'm out. If you don't, I will. Just let me know.

One of the favorite tricks of some of the more experienced EBayers is to wait until the last possible and then place a bid, trying to time it so there won't be enough time for someone else to bid. Some of these guys have got it down so pat they literally can split a second on a bid. Indian wrestle? I ain't Indian wrestled since I was a kid and Debbie Sue told a couple of us guys that who ever won Indian wrestling could take her home. :yes:

If you haven't noticed, there is now a reserve on the truck. Rob

That's a no-brainer as to why. With all the attention he has been getting on this MJ, including me, he now has visions of mega-$$ dancing in his head. Sure like to know what he paid the junkyard for it when he rescued it. But big kudos to him for doing just that. :cheers:

There are actually websites that "snipe" bids for you and they can split a second. can't remember what they are A google search should find them.

My main interest is just seeing it going to a good home and not getting scrapped. If you bid on it I'm out. If you don't, I will. Just let me know.

One of the favorite tricks of some of the more experienced EBayers is to wait until the last possible and then place a bid, trying to time it so there won't be enough time for someone else to bid. Some of these guys have got it down so pat they literally can split a second on a bid. Indian wrestle? I ain't Indian wrestled since I was a kid and Debbie Sue told a couple of us guys that who ever won Indian wrestling could take her home. :yes:

As much as I get him pumped up, it's not going to help when we bring it home and it nickel and dimes him to death replacing all the hard worn parts and dried bushings from the Texas dust. I would just hate to get him all jacked up on it, and then he regret the whole thing.

Rob

Don? I think you would be a great care taker... Maybe you and Jim could go halves... Trade weekends... Rob

Yeah that would be good, but since we're 1300 miles apart, it might be a logistics problem. :yes:

As much as I get him pumped up, it's not going to help when we bring it home and it nickel and dimes him to death replacing all the hard worn parts and dried bushings from the Texas dust. I would just hate to get him all jacked up on it, and then he regret the whole thing.

Rob

well thats where you come in and offer to take it off his hands for waaaayyyyy cheaper when he decides he's had enough :yes:

no seriously. i can understand that but isnt that what owning a jeep is about. getting all pumped about working on it/building it up, only to find out theres no end in sight :rotfl2:

if it were me, id buy it and swap in a whole "new" motor and tranny from a donor just to drive the damn thing. maybe one day rebuild the original to throw back in but at that price though, itll never be me

Don? I think you would be a great care taker... Maybe you and Jim could go halves... Trade weekends... Rob

Yeah that would be good, but since we're 1300 miles apart, it might be a logistics problem. :yes:

Hey,,No problem. We'll go 50/50. You pay for the gas and I'll burn it. The gas. not the truck. :yes:

Ok 8 hours left and I'm on the fence about trying to get this truck! Maybe because it's a big purchase and the fact that I'd be buying it based on pictures and a description and not seeing it in person till after the auction ends that is bugging me. Or that it's a race truck made to be street legal and to do a true restoration means ditching the changes made and limiting it to just racing it or showing it off at car shows and not driving it to get groceries. I know there's going to be a lot of work envolved to get it running and cleaned up to make it look like it just came off the track. With Rob's help I think it can be done. I'm pretty sure Rob wants me to get this truck, but I guess I'll ask the club for some reasons I should or should not get this truck? I know it's my decision but I'd like some outside the family advice.

Chris

Spose this would be a good place to state my opinion.

I'm in the middle of the road. I'm not going to pressure you into it either way.

My pros and cons of you getting it:

Pros:

I would have personal access to one of the coolest trucks ever made.

We could uphold the history and the story of the Comanche.

The only other one is in a museum, no others known to exist.

The house would look like a Stroh's shrine.

I would have another in house nut, with an offical truck.

It comes with a ton of parts.

We might get off easy restoring it.

It would look cool in a vintage race class or at shows.

Cons:

I would be the personal mechanic to one of the most unique trucks ever made.

I already have two half cocked MJ's to babysit.

We have no where on our property to house it.

It could be a basket case that will test your dedication and finances.

It comes with a ton of extra parts.

Parts not included could be a royal beeyotch to find or track down.

It may not end up being one of the original trucks... They have yet to verify.

We don't have a trailer.

It could have underlying problems from being wrecked... Sterling even admitted he wasn't the best driver.

Rob