Extended Idle Switch?

Found this yesterday at a P&P out in Daytona Beach. I've never seen this switch before, nor do I know what it does. Should I have grabbed this? Can someone shed some light on what it actually does?

I would have grabbed it for awesomeness! It grounds out a pin on the ECU that increases the idle to around 2,000RPM to have the alternator putting out higher amperage. It was typically found in police package and other service vehicle configurations.

What you probably also missed was the 120 MPH "Certified Calibration" Speedometer that is found just above it. Only available on those fleet models where you find the switches.

Rob

I would SOOOOOOOOO love to have one of those speedometers ...

Just did a quick net search and could only find posts for 97+ XJ's. Couldn't find anything for the older renix systems, which seems weird because the pic of the cluster is the same as my 88, and my 89 has the new cluster.

Anyone have better links that I couldn't find?

Thanks,

Ryan

Just did a quick net search and could only find posts for 97+ XJ's. Couldn't find anything for the older renix systems, which seems weird because the pic of the cluster is the same as my 88, and my 89 has the new cluster.

Anyone have better links that I couldn't find?

Thanks,

Ryan

Never saw a Renix Police Package. I think the Package started in 1991 or 1992.

Anyone know what pin on the ECU? That could definitely be useful when winching.
The different years of production model XJs had the switch set up for different pins. Some years it was pin #10, while others was pin #12.

I highly recommend people who want to look more into this read up on these two links, especially the second.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/extended-idle-switch-how-simple-easy-like-factory-610688/

Page 2- 2nd to last post has specific information for older models, but am currently unsure if you can do this to a Renix engine.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549&highlight=Extended+Idle

• 3 weeks later...

See if you have the switch on your power steering hose that pops RPM up when turning. 2 of mine did and 3 didn't. (same goes with the 12 or so XJs I/family've had)

See if you have the switch on your power steering hose that pops RPM up when turning. 2 of mine did and 3 didn't. (same goes with the 12 or so XJs I/family've had)

None of my vehicles do.

• 1 year later...

Alright so what's the Renix work around for adding the extended Idle. On a different post it was brought you can trick the a/c system to increase idle 200 rpm.   I'm looking at the 90 fsm and find 3 a/c inputs in the the ecu.    Anyone know if i'm to tap at the ecu or if it's possible to tie in at the heater control?   I do not have a/c.    Thinking this would be useful if I go OBA so while i have the dash open was thinking of running the wire for future needs.  

Thanks in advance. 

Alright so what's the Renix work around for adding the extended Idle. On a different post it was brought you can trick the a/c system to increase idle 200 rpm.   I'm looking at the 90 fsm and find 3 a/c inputs in the the ecu.    Anyone know if i'm to tap at the ecu or if it's possible to tie in at the heater control?   I do not have a/c.    Thinking this would be useful if I go OBA so while i have the dash open was thinking of running the wire for future needs.  

Thanks in advance. 

I found plenty of write-ups on Naxja and around the web when I was looking into this last year.

You really should go back and take another look at the truck you pulled that switch from.  Might see a couple other interesting items, like a high capacity alternator? And perhaps a switch to turn the fan on for extended cooling?

Those posts were from early 2012.

Thanks in advance. 

I found plenty of write-ups on Naxja and around the web when I was looking into this last year

maybe you saved some in your favs?    I've searched naxja  and everything I've found and read is a bunch of posts on people with 93+ having issues getting the true extended idle to function.  And it seems most of them have issues finding which wire it was as it changed every few years.  About every 15 posts someone asks about options for pre 92, with no resolve their request just seemed to go on ignored.   But I assume taping or rather over riding the a/c circuit is pretty simple, but that would be easier if i had A/C.     So I"m not sure what actual wires are already there to tap on to to provide the desired effect.  

Okay so here's what I've researched: 

Ecu contacts:

A12 controls the a/c clutch relay.

D2 gets the signal from the climate control switches

C2 is fed from the theromostat switch.  

The power feeding the thermostat switch is taped to same wire as d2.   

So D2 and C2 are compared and output a12 to turn on the pump.   

Does anyone know if the Thermostat switch (right side of blower housing) is a Normally Open/Closed or ?????       If normally open I just need to get power to D2  if normally closed i need power to both d2 and c2 to mimic a/c running.          The thermostat is available as both a factory part and a dealer installed part,   not sure how it changed the wiring. 5600 2688 1 w/Factory Installed Air Cond. 5600 0222 1 w/Dealer Installed American Air Cond   Picture is from crown.56002688.jpg?rdm=0.977970935869962