MJ 3800 camaro powered

I've been having issues with this truck, the dent in the side not-withstanding.

So today I attempted to fix the problem. On top of the bad axleshaft U-joints, it's been wandering on me a bit...i.e. when I turn, it takes a second for the wheels to follow. and it pops when I turn. OK, no biggy.

replace trackbar. no change.

finally someone turns the wheels for me while I'm under it. SH*T.

the frame is busted where the trackbar mount meets it on the inside...cracked all the way round the lower 2 bolts, and the mount itself is cracked right below the upper bolts.

:headpop: :eek: :mad: :hmm:

so now I've got to fix the issue.

I did get the driver's side ujoint done, and the pass side done...then I realized my passenger side inner shaft is missing the needle bearing that fits onto the inner shaft. the cage was there...the rest is not. so gotta get that tomorrow, and weld up the frame tomorrow or monday.

at least I have the cherokee to drive...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly sucks, but it's not unheard of. Rick had a similar issue with his MJ and it's rust-free like yours. Weld it up properly, add a patch over the crack, and then fab yourself a steering box brace that strengthens the entire area. Better than new. :D

It certainly sucks, but it's not unheard of. Rick had a similar issue with his MJ and it's rust-free like yours. Weld it up properly, add a patch over the crack, and then fab yourself a steering box brace that strengthens the entire area. Better than new. :D

yep that's the plan. at the moment the goal is to just get that area rebuilt and get the truck working properly. I'll put a steering box brace in in a little while when I really have to.

I'll post pics when I get up to the house.

pics of the work done...

after I did the d/s ujoint

n69205416_32535833_5784.jpg

can't do the pass. side cause the needle bearing on the inner shaft is GONE. anyone know where to find one?

n69205416_32535834_6025.jpg

here's the crack in the frame rail above the trackbar mount

n69205416_32535835_6261.jpg

note that it looks almost like a plasma cutter was taken to it...

n69205416_32535836_6498.jpg

cracked the trackbar mount too..right below and between the two bolts

n69205416_32535837_6735.jpg

tossed a canyon on it just to see..

n69205416_32535838_6974.jpg

n69205416_32535839_7219.jpg

those tires are the Apache Radials that I had...that set of canyons went on the xj with the radials, because the mud terrains are too loud (and worn)

or he is talking about the sticker on the back window, but i don't even think that say Kyle Petty. :???:

It says Kyle is Pretty; matches that purple roll-bar. ;)

Haha. I think that you should put that purple roll bar in the 86, so it matches your personality. :nanner:

haha.

purple rollbar + warm and fuzzy (also known as ghey)

yep it's a kyle petty sticker...courtesy of the PO of that truck. that truck is scrap.

rollbar is in the barn waiting for it's debut on the 3800 dressed in black, and with a set of square fogs that match my original front fogs except letter JEEP one letter on each cap.

damnit.

went to help Geonovast this weekend, and dad was working on stitching up the frame so I could build the reinforcement bracket.

he ended up melting the fuel sender line so that it leaked, and a bit of the return line. they were plastic lines (about 3 feet long) and he melted them with his shop light (on accident)

so I put rubber high pressure line in instead now, and while I was doing that, I relocated my wiper fluid reservoir using a 4.0 style.

here's some pics

n69205416_32585755_5447.jpg

n69205416_32585756_5694.jpg

n69205416_32585757_5909.jpg

n69205416_32585758_6137.jpg

n69205416_32585759_6362.jpg

I now have enough room to relocate my intake into the front driver's side corner. I'll be building a seperate compartment there that's completely sealed off so it only sucks in clean air from the headlight area.

so the frame is somewhat stitched up, there's a bit left to do but the trackbar bracket has to come off...and it needed to get out of the shop today cause Dad's parting out a tractor and putting the bucket loader from it onto another tractor. I'll get the frame finished tomorrow I hope.

also bought new swaybar links for it as I broke one of them when I took the swaybar off so we could get up in there.

oh...

I'm thinking that when I lift it this spring (to fit 33's), I'm probably wanna do something in the power dept. as well. been researching on the EATON superchargers used on the buick 3800. it would be a schweet swap to do...

have to get a supercharger-equipped block though, compression would need to go from 9.4 to 8.5, and the metal composition of the supercharged motor is stronger (guess why lol).

so that would give me a spare 3800 block, and while the motor is out I'd make new headers for the one going in the comanche, leaving me with the ones for the old block. I'd just have to get new bracketry for the motor (since all supercharge equipped 3.8's are FWD, I'd have to use that bracketry on the supercharged motor) and then I could install it in the cherokee in a weekend or two.

other things that would have to accompany that swap are a ax15 with dakota 4 cyl housing, I would have to cut some of the firewall out (TB/intake is relocated to the back with the supercharger), and put a cowl induction hood on it with the airbox built into it

but by going down to a 3" diameter serpentine pulley on the supercharger, I can get an extra 75 horse and 40 torque with absolutely no other mods to the motor.

:D

the only thing I'm leary about is cutting into the firewall...it would have to be done in order for the intake tube to hook up to the throttle body.

that, or I could move the engine and trans forward a few inches. after all, I'll have a foot between the engine and radiator after this is done...

well, saturday I will finish making the reinforcement for the frame, and have dad weld it up properly. then I'll be relocating the K&N filter to the front left of the engine bay and building a custom intake box for it. jamminz.gif :brows:

sunday will be for the XJ...new thermostat gasket and housing along with a heater core flush. also gonna put the cargo cover and subs/amp in it and then wash it for the first time in 3 years :oops:

Did you stop drill that crack before welding? Then put a doubler on it or something? Curious.

I have no idea what you just said.

Dad did it, and he's been at this for a good 30 years so I'm not gonna question his welding skills. I'm building a proper reinforcement plate that will bolt through the stock lower tracbar mount bolts, and then I will add points for it to bolt through to the frame with a proper tube welded in there to guide the bolts, and it will bolt straight through the stock trackbar mount. this new mount assembly will make the trackbar mount now have 6 bolts and a inside frame-rail reinforcement plate.

I think that sounds like a good enough plan for the reinforcement plate.

• 4 weeks later...

designed my bracket, it will look like this

n69205416_32673220_9259.jpg

made from 1/8" thick steel plate, and ribbed, it's going to follow the contours of the frame from the trackbar lower bolts to the upper bolts. It will have one rib running from the bottom all the way to the top support. this will act as reinforcement should the problem happen again.

the upper bolts will now bolt directly to this bracket, and the lower 2 will be studs welded to the bracket. then I will also drill two holes through the frame, and weld 1/16" thick steel tube through the frame in two places mid-way between the lower bolts and uppers. I will put bolts through those tubes from the outside through, which will give me not just 4, but 6 anchor points to the frame. that will fix my trackbar problems :D

then from there it's just intake relocation, remount the skidplate and track bar, and I'm all done with all the mechanical aspects.

I get it now. That second pic helped to explain it a lot!

yep. that's a view from the "driver's position" on the driver's side of the truck. behind that on the left would be your coil spring and shock mounts, and on the right my motor mount is directly behind that location.

I will be able to make these as a bolt-on kit for anyone who wants them, and can incorporate a frame reinforcement for behind the steering box as well, as well as a steering brace mount...then you would just need to run a crossover bar and mount, which I can also make.

all of those things will be going in this truck soon, but first is the trackbar reinforcement.

If it's the steel you showed me today, I think that was 3/16". That would be the ideal thickness for this bracket. The tube going through the frame should be 1/8" wall. It should also be welded in on both sides. Then just make a brace to connect from the track bar bracket to the opposite frame rail and your rig will feel tighter. This will spread the force out and keep the trackbar mount from flexing.

If it's the steel you showed me today, I think that was 3/16". That would be the ideal thickness for this bracket. The tube going through the frame should be 1/8" wall. It should also be welded in on both sides. Then just make a brace to connect from the track bar bracket to the opposite frame rail and your rig will feel tighter. This will spread the force out and keep the trackbar mount from flexing.

:D