MJ 3800 camaro powered

gah! :headpop:

on my way up to beaterjeep's place, my tranny blew up...the lay shaft main bearing went bad. so i waited overnight at the rest stop and got pickup...cost $200 all told to get home.

so i'm working on the parts tranny(ies) here...gosh darnit. the 2wd 4 speed I have is in GREAT shape mechanically. but, the 4wd 5 speed that I blew up last summer/fall is pretty much junk. :cry:

i was going over it...i could have used everything on the main shaft, but there are some chips in a few gears, and warn down syncros in a few places. :eek:

after figuring out how to get the c-clips off with the improper tools (my father is now working at a truck company building "custom" trucks so he's got all his tools) I had to press everything apart...geonovast's puller was good for 5th gear and unfortunately not much more. :roll:

I got everything OFF the mainshaft (output shaft) for the 4wd tranny, both trannies are disassembled right now...i left the sliders in as i have no desire to mess with springs and balls and such. Now to press everything off the 2wd main shaft. then, I can clean the gears, select the best of them, and put them all back on the 4wd main shaft. jamminz.gif

once that's done, it's pretty much a cake-walk to get it back together. not too terrible. i just have to remember where about a gagillion parts go :brows:

oh. i'm doing this twice by the way...i have a box where two MORE ax5's are sitting apart in from a few other rebuilds we've done (dad's diesel, and what's left of my original 3800 2wd trans). once I pull the tranny from the 3800, i'll try and salvage 5th gear and the output shafts and get everything built up with good bearings and such. ;) 8)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she runs and drives now. turns out 5th/reverse sliderails are slightly bent, so 5th and reverse go in a bit stiff. other than that, it's all good.

The blown transmission actually sheared all of the input shaft gear off, so it wouldn't run the cross shaft. I have those parts, so the rebuild won't be bad

here she is loaded up for the trip home

aaand building the new tranny here

first one I blew up

the one I combined it with

parts

thank god for the press

the guts of it when it was done

here's the "new" transmission. I didn't wire brush it...needed the truck running/driving, so getting it in was more important

so, she's done and shifts better than ever. I had to redo my clutch systems too (new master and slave cylinder and such)

Looks like it was a pain in the butt... - Congrats on being back on the road though.

thanks dude.

the 5th/reverse slider was bent (I believe) but it seems to have loosened up.

I added another piece today...

new sub

Image Not Found

and,

Image Not Found

How many times do I have to say it in this thread? Looks good man, keep up the good work. If you could, I'd buy ya a few of these :cheers: :cheers: , but there's still time yet to get them to ya.

When we gonna get pics of what's to come? :brows: You know what I mean. :D

• 2 weeks later...

working on axles to get them ready...

here's my dana 44 rear, 4.09 gears. got it from TNT

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

and my dana 30 front, 4.10 gears. ball joints are done, just need to install knuckles after I blast them, and clean the housing plus reinstall UCA bushings

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

i'm building an xj with/for alex at Scorpion Automotive in milwaukee...in exchange i get to use the lift and such, plus build another MJ in his shop

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

anyways, i'm off to get that front axle all cleaned up and maybe start on the rear...i'm hoping to install them in the next couple weeks along with a lift (i need to get my lift back, and order the control arms...but then i still don't have tires that are big enough for a 6.5" lift...)

you had to put it on the lift didnt you? Alex said you were in love with it :roll:

haha.

we don't all like to work on our back like you do ;) :brows: j/k man.

no, that was friday night when we were looking for the loose part in the steering...the pitman TRE is going bad, haven't replaced it yet :oops:

finished up the front axle housing. just a couple things left...clean and paint the knuckles then install them, and install the UCA bushings and new pinion seal. then it's pretty much complete.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Looks good Pat.

Was the pinion seal leaking or you just replacing it while it's out?

I should have pulled my knuckles off. I'll probable kick myself later. :D

:cheers:

i like doing pinion seals while the axle is out. after all, it's a $5 part, i have one laying in the garage that i bought for the bent front axle that's currently in the 3800, and it's easy to rpelace. preload isn't hard to set

Looks good Pat.

Was the pinion seal leaking or you just replacing it while it's out?

I should have pulled my knuckles off. I'll probable kick myself later. :D

:cheers:

i like doing pinion seals while the axle is out. after all, it's a $5 part, i have one laying in the garage that i bought for the bent front axle that's currently in the 3800, and it's easy to rpelace. preload isn't hard to set

Axle seals are even more fun to fix after the axle is installed.... :nuts:

Axle seals are even more fun to fix after the axle is installed.... :nuts:

Not to hijack, but how hard is it? I need to do mine and was finally going to do the 1 Piece Axle conversion that I've been sitting on for a couple months now at the same time...

SW2

well i'm thinking of going to a supercharged buick 3800 now...but, that will compound my transmission issues. so...

my options are an AW4 with a 2.5 aw4 torque converter and bellhousing and a complete manual shift system, or an ax15 with a 4 cylinder dodge dakota ax15 bellhousing and ax15.

i've just found a supercharged buick with a 3800 that's RWD today for $300...blown auto tranny and all brakes blown, but 120,000 and the car looks almost new. just ran tranny all 120k with little maintenance.

I'm thinking of picking that up, and going aw4 with shift kit...7 or 8 position shifter to control the cable with positions P,R,N,D then it would have electric positions 1,2,3,O. I could incorporate that all into one shifter handle and have it be a traditional shift pattern with 8 slots. I suppose i could make the D be D1, then D2, D3, and D-O and have a 7 slot shifter...

well i'm thinking of going to a supercharged buick 3800 now...but, that will compound my transmission issues. so...

my options are an AW4 with a 2.5 aw4 torque converter and bellhousing and a complete manual shift system, or an ax15 with a 4 cylinder dodge dakota ax15 bellhousing and ax15.

i've just found a supercharged buick with a 3800 that's RWD today for $300...blown auto tranny and all brakes blown, but 120,000 and the car looks almost new. just ran tranny all 120k with little maintenance.

I'm thinking of picking that up, and going aw4 with shift kit...7 or 8 position shifter to control the cable with positions P,R,N,D then it would have electric positions 1,2,3,O. I could incorporate that all into one shifter handle and have it be a traditional shift pattern with 8 slots. I suppose i could make the D be D1, then D2, D3, and D-O and have a 7 slot shifter...

I drove a friends 99 Grand Prix GTP (3800 Supercharged) with a Smaller Supercharger Pully setup and Computer Swap (basically to one that was tweaked) and it was BAD A$$... I really enjoyed my 97 Grand Prix GT with the standard 3800, but the GTP Supercharged really hauled... Would love to see one of these in an MJ (would like to see one in mine, but I will live vicariously though you).

ok. i've got the go-ahead :P

I'm JEALOUS! I don't have the know-how, tools, space, time, etc to pull something like that off. I'll be lucky if I can get a direct swap done on mine in the near future (Next 12-24 months or so is 'Near' future for me)

I'd like to consider a Stroker setup, but don't know that I have the extra $$$ (on top of what a rebuild is already going to cost me) to do one.

SW2

• 2 weeks later...

picked up a new, matching fullsize spare at the jefferson swap meet (31x10.50 Dayton Timberline A/T) for $40.

sadly...the tires won't even be on the truck that much longer...because...

my 6.5" lift is sitting in the passenger side inside of the truck.

all I'm missing is the RC adjustable UCA's, YJ brake lines for up front, Dakota rear brake line, and proper shocks for the rear.

so, another update to come in the next few weeks...

well...

i went down to the shop to work on a couple things before heading up to whitewater tonight so i can work at 9am...and the bug just bit me. i looked at the HUGE dent in my truck and HATED IT

end result...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

so, at 9:15pm, i took a small 1 ton floor jack, and slid it in there vertically so it would push outwards, with a short 2x4 on the head of it. held that up with the 3 ton jack, then jacked outward with the 1 ton jack.

after that, I got out the sheetmetal tools, which include my favorite tools (they pick up speed when you chuck them)...body rocks. chunks of steel in all sorts of odd shapes. got everything pretty much smoothed out, and good to go :D. finished it by 10pm :D

so...i'm very happy that now all I have to do is strip the bedside completely (front to back...the jerkoff who painted my truck cheated me and used 1 step hardnose paint when i payed for clear coat two step paint job) because the paint cannot be blended, and I have a few other spots on it to smooth anyways.

no more huge dent. the kink didn't even stay. here's what it looked like, in case you forgot

n69205416_32352051_8302.jpg

n69205416_32352052_8527.jpg

n69205416_32352054_8996.jpg

finished my front axle today (mostly)

all that is left is to tighten the knuckles, then swap the axleshafts over from the 3800's current front axle along with hubs and brakes when I do the lift

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

gotta do the rear. i got side-tracked working on my motorcycle cleaning the carbs (and trying to find a stupid part). i sold it today, and agreed to clean the carbs... :headpop:

oh well.