GRRR Some A Hole hit my MJ

sinned96

I was on a two lane road turning left. Hit the right signal by mistake then hit the left one. So the guy behind me tries to pass me on the left cause he thought I was turning right. Well anyways he caught the bottom corner of the cab and wiped out the whole side of the bed. The cop that finally showed up said it was his fault cause there is a double yellow line that means no passing. But he couldn't write a report cause the guy had all ready left. I did file a claim with his insurance company last night. State Farm. Guess we will see how it goes. I hope they don't want to total my truck. Hey it needed a paint job but the body is rust free and was straight with only 115k on the clock.

My MJ was cosidered totaled after a wreck based soley on the age of the vehicle. $500 to turn it over, $300 to keep it. Insurance companys don't think the same way Comanche owners do. Unless you have upgraded coverage for a vintage vehicle, don't expect much more.

I know where there is decent bed in New Orleans if you plan to come down for Mardi Gras. $100. I'll send pics if you are intrested in it.

Red Dog

Is it a long bed It just might be worth the trip? let me see some pics

just on the fact that you're a hardcore pontiac fan, I spotted a red '91 Eliminator sitting in the grocery store pklot with the GM Firebird painted on the hood, I don't mean any knock off, I mean *the* firebird haha, looked pretty sweet.

oh even better. 4.0L HO, 5spd, 15, xxx KM's on the clock :D

I understand about being in an accident and it being the other guys fault pissing you off, but if thoughs couple of dents piss you off..... hell I don't know. I get more dents then that in a weekend, just beat them out. I wouldn't even turn it into my insurance if your worried about them totaling it.

You indicated a right hand turn and then changed your mind and he's the asshat? Sorry, sounds to me like there were two people dancing that tango.

Sorry about your truck, but judging from the pics you should be able to fix most of that with a new toliet plunger and ballpen hammer.

See regardless of the way I was turning he was in the wrong. According to Texas law On a two lane road with a double yellow stripe you are not allowed to pass a car that is turning or stopped for any reason. He should of stopped behind me and waited till i completed my turn

See regardless of the way I was turning he was in the wrong. According to Texas law On a two lane road with a double yellow stripe you are not allowed to pass a car that is turning or stopped for any reason. He should of stopped behind me and waited till i completed my turn

yeah, thats ANY state law as far as i'm aware...

if you've got a double yellow, you've gotta stay in your lane (aint no rules about the shoulder though :brows: i pull that one every once in a while.)

Actually as far as NJ is concerned you can't pass on the shoulder either unless its a dotted line. I had to go to driving school for too many points in the first year of having a license and they told me that. Doesn't mean I don't do it tho ;)

If I remember right, in MI you are only allowed to pass if: There is a dashed line or no line (for when you're going into oncoming traffic), there is an official lane to do it in (for when you're staying on your side of the road for the pass), and you aren't exceeding the speed limit to do so. That means you can pass on the right if some slowpoke is in the left lane, but not on a shoulder.

Theres more work there than a plunger will handle. I talked with the insurance company today. If they total it they said the go by NADA value on the truck which is

Low Retail $2,075 Average Retail $5,400 High Retail $6,925

less 15% for the 4 Cylinder Engine

Low Retail $1,764 Average Retail $4,590* High Retail $5,886

I'll take 1700 for my truck and go get me a 4x4 MJ

Just getting back. Yeah it's a long bed but it's not cherry. Some minor dents that can be poped out with a large bar suction cup tool. (No where near as bad as yours) It's been down south for it's life, so there is is no salt or corrosion problems. Missing the tailgate and turn signals. Some stuff laying in the bed so I really didn't get a good look at the bottom panel. My masonic brother owns it and doesn't have a title. He bought it to get the 4.0 and auto tranny for his 86 that has a weak V6 and was looking to upgrade. He didn't realize that he should have cannibilzed an XJ and saved an MJ from scrap. Oh well, the front end and cab had damage so he really didn't do that much of a bad thing. I will try to get over there and take some photos within the next week or so, and post them on this thread. You have first dibs, and I hope that the actual condition refects my recollections. A second inspection and photos will prove that out.

Red Dog

If they total your rig, make sure they don't give you a salvage title... It makes them harder to insure, and has to be inspected by the state police before they will give you tags (at least in VA). I say cut the bed off and make a truggy out of it (you all knew I would say that though)

If they total your rig, make sure they don't give you a salvage title...

Legal definition of 'totaled' is for salvage - you can't have your cake and eat it too. If an insurance company does do this expect there to be a big hoopla when the underwriters find out as it constitutes fraud on behalf of the company. The only time I have ever seen this done was when a friend had his Skyline impounded as part of a criminal investigation of the company - a bad day for him.

As an ex-salvage broker I can tell you that salvage title vehicles are tough to inspect on purpose, you have no idea how many people try to skirt safety regulations in an attempt to drive something beyond their means. As for insurance though, in "most" states its against the law for an insurance company to charge you more for a salvaged vehicle vs. regular if all safety, theft, and emissions testing have been completed. And if you have "liability only" there should be absolutely no cost difference between any vehicle (be it Z06 or Mj) because the value of the vehicle has nothing to do with the coverage you're paying for.

Depending on what your looking for out of your truck it is a very smart move to make to have it totaled and buy it back - jeeps have virtually no re-sale anyway so a salvage might loose you a few bucks down the road. If you keep it forever, or completely mod it, you'll lose the value anyway.