Prefered transfer case ......

Given the option of a 231 or a 242 transfer case, which would you choose? And why?

(4.0, auto trans, daily driver, no ice or snow, no rock crawling, 4x4 only used as needed while off road in light to moderate mud)

Although I probably don't need it, I'm leaning towards the versatility of the 242's full time 4x4.

i had a 231, but replaced it with a 242 when i upgraded to an AX-15..

the 231 was a good tc but I wanted full time 4wd when it started poring rain while i was unlucky enough to be in the Comanche. however i have been unable to use it because i haven't hooked up the shifter linkage after the transmission swap

For off road most people prefer the 231 because it supposedly is stronger and it has much better aftermarket support for upgrades.

On the road having full time 4wd (awd) available is nice, especially in winter.

I wish I could find the differences in the torque ratings for each case since that's what people go by when they claim the 231 is stronger than the 242. The difference is relatively small and 99% of the rigs on here don't even come close to the max torque capacity of either.

I prefer the 242 because it has all the capabilities of the 231 off-road, plus it gives you more options for on-road traveling.

Only negative with the 242 is, since there's an open spider gear differential in there,

one *really* slipping/spinning tire (like a single tire on ice) is enough to stop forward momentum, and make you have to shift into part time 4wd.

Honestly, it only happened to us once:

gf was driving 96' ZJ in FT 4wd,

snow/ice on the ground

she punched it to get moving quick, fast merge onto short highway onramp

and it just sat there with one tire spinning

however i have been unable to use it because i haven't hooked up the shifter linkage after the transmission swap

just shift it into fulltime and forget about it. :D I don't remember the last time the Libby was shifted out of fulltime. :dunno:

however i have been unable to use it because i haven't hooked up the shifter linkage after the transmission swap

just shift it into fulltime and forget about it. :D I don't remember the last time the Libby was shifted out of fulltime. :dunno:

the old CAD collar is also broke on my D30... I have a replacement axle but it is going to be put on with the D44 to keep the proper gears