Comanche of the month, July 2011 --- MRSIMONS's 1987

This month we have an amazing rig, that has gone though quite a big change recently... Enjoy. :cheers:

------------MRSIMONS's 1987 JEEP COMANCHE-------------

266454_235690913109942_100000071047223_1072739_7503029_o.jpg

MODEL AND YEAR

Original stock specs:

1987 Jeep Comanche

LWB

4.0L Renix

Auto, AW4

4x4, NP231

D30/D35

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

1999 XJ 4.0 H.O.

Custom air intake

Banks header

Dynomax muffler

Custom high clearance exhaust routing

DRIVETRAIN:

FRONT:

Original D30 converted to one piece shaft, disco removed

Chromo shafts

ARB locker

4.88s

ARB diff cover

Stock front driveshaft

REAR:

D44 from a late 80s XJ

Superior shafts

Full Detroit

4.88s

RuffStuff diff cover

Disk brake conversion

Quigley rear driveshaft

COOLING:

Open cooling system swap from a 99 XJ.

Custom coolant bottle

Added an electrical aux fan wired to a switch in the cab

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

Engine wiring from 99 XJ

CB

Stock ignition

STEERING:

WJ knuckles and brakes

Hydro assist with PSC box and pump

Custom OTK steering

SUSPENSION:

About 5" of lift

Clayton long arms in the front

Spring over with stock MJ leaves in the rear

Custom track bar and bracket

Home made discos

Bilstien shocks

INTERIOR:

Pretty much stock .... but I just added a stereo! I have tunes for the first time in 4 years.

BRAKES:

WJ brakes in front

Rear rotors from a 84 Lincoln

Rear calipers and pads from a 79 El dorado

LIGHTING:

Really crappy headlights that point wherever they want

WHEELS/TIRES:

Hand-me-down American Racing aluminum wheels with 35" Dick Cepek Mud Country tires

MISCELLANEOUS:

Custom bed fabricated by Full Circle Performance & Offroad in Pottstown, PA

Custom rock sliders and belly skids

Best MJ story

My best MJ story is one that I'm sure we all have. It was on my first wheeling trip. I had a brand new 3" lift and brand new 31" BFG M/Ts, and I couldn't wait to hit the trails. But, I had absolutely no idea what to expect and no previous wheeling experience. We rode around on easy trails for a while, which I thought was insanely hardcore! Then, we pulled up to a small rocky ridge. To me, we were looking up a mountain. I had a fantastic spotter any my little truck climbed right up that ridge. I was completely amazed that a vehicle could do such things. I was hooked. The feeling of conquering a tough obstacle keeps me coming back.

What owner loves best about CC

I love seeing all the guys picking up old, beat up trucks and bringing them back to life.

IMG_1327.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

photo.jpg

DSC_1739.jpg

DSC_1653.jpg

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

266903_235690046443362_100000071047223_1072730_2848809_o.jpg

IMG_1658.JPG

267111_235682359777464_100000071047223_1072669_1581955_o.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats!

Holy cow. Every time I go through your thread, I am further inspired to get working on my truck. Your build should be and is an inspiration to any member looking to lift and modify their MJ's. One stroll through your thread, and you can see a few different stages of lifts. From the small boost, to the shorties, to the longarms, its all there. Mild to wild in one quick stop. That tube bed! AMAZING! That's what one should look like. Perfect example of a well built MJ.

Congratulations on your MJOTM pick. You definitely made it easy for us to pick on this one.

Rob :cheers:

Yep, Rob was right, this month was easy. The bed is so well designed and functional it would look good on any MJ. Storage compartments, spare carrier, and nice lines. What I'd like to know is did Full Circle Performance & Offroad build to your specs, or did you just let them fly with it? :cheers:

Thanks guys.

This truck has been an adventure for sure, but I've loved every step of the way. I've learned a TON about working on Jeeps and have made plenty of mistakes, but its all worth it.

For the bed, I spent months researching, looking at pictures, drawing, and even holding pvc pipe up against my truck to figure out what I wanted. Once I had it all figured out in my head, I went up to FullCircle with about 20 different pictures with different stuff circled on each one. I couldn't find anything on the internet with top loading storage boxes, so I just had to explain that to them.

Once I gave them the design, they ran with it. The tailgate was completely their design, as well as the removable mud flaps, highlift mount, toolbox lid/latch system, and a few other things.

They obviously did great work, but I was more impressed with how easily they understood what I wanted and built exactly what I wanted. Lots of shops would have taken liberties and made the truck to their liking.

I thought I'd be done with the truck after the bed, but I've already got a to-do list that includes:

Install the doors I got that have vent windows, locks that work, and don't have the four mirror mount holes

Install the non-crunched front right fender thats sitting in the garage

Install the non-crunched header panel thats sitting in the garage

Sand, prep, and paint the cab

Bumpstop the front

Traction bar in the rear

And eventually I'd like beadlocks and a winch

Thanks again for selecting my truck for this month .... its an honor!!!!

Congratulations on mjotm! Well deserved. I like every step you've taken. You went outside the box without being obnoxious. Great design and even though I don't off-road, your work is an inspiration because you do great work! I am sure you get a lot of "Dude, that is one cool rig" or things similar.

Buck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic