Is this a factory topper? Introducing Project Chicken Man!

Comanche County

Just picked up this little gem while at the JY. :D They took it in with a bad alternator and no key. :D They swapped in a new alt and cut a key and it runs great. :D I was in line at the check out counter and spied it in the back part of the yard. :D First thing that caught my eye was the 5 leaf pack, a quick inspection revealed a D44! :D After a little haggling, I left with it.... :D :D :D 88' Pioneer, 2wd, Puegeot BA-10/5, Metric Ton, Cooling package, Buckets, Topper, Rhino lined bed, no rust, awesome paint except the top clear coat got sun baked. It hasn't been inspected since 08' so I imagine it sat in the Texas sun since then. I like the short throw of the BA-10 but I think the slave is weak, it only disengages the clutch right at the floor. The engine is completely unmolested and it didn't even think about getting hot on the 103 degree 100 mile trip home. :D It got 19 mpgs on the way home. :D It did suffer a bit of blow by but no biggie.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I may sell it or perhaps sell Dad's F250 to recoup the cost and make it a Father/Son project. But this one will stay stock.

Factory Topper or no?

5870217738_24e11d62d3_b.jpg

5869656235_6155bbfd1d_b.jpg

5869662841_5fecbef61d_b.jpg

5870256704_c8fc46b0d9_b.jpg

5870273788_8a074c6b4d_b.jpg

5870270262_5c2cec24a2_b.jpg

5870266328_eda8df8ab6_b.jpg

5870231020_a78a32b8c3_b.jpg

5869668931_70a905eacd_b.jpg

5869665817_de90e399b3_b.jpg

5870246836_70ce3d9363_b.jpg

5869674883_9764b851a4_b.jpg

5870236492_a5a7dc2836_b.jpg

I'm digging this truck, the blind spots from the topper are a little annoying though. The trucker mirrors help a lot, much better than the smaller joystick versions.

I've had my topper on since the winter and I'm still not used to the blind spots. I installed 97+ XJ mirrors in hopes to gain some more surface area and help out with it, but it didn't do much. Got a set of those "blind spot" mirrors and they seems to work pretty well - might want to look into it. Loving the factory interior of that truck - with a little elbow grease you can get that looking pretty good! Even got a leather wrapper steering wheel...

It should clean up nicely. Only one crack in the drivers seat and one in the console. The dash is perfect. When I get time I'll take the seats out and go to town on the carpet. I'm thinking the paint will buff out and I can get someone to spray some clear coat on it. If the price is right.

It should clean up nicely. Only one crack in the drivers seat and one in the console. The dash is perfect. When I get time I'll take the seats out and go to town on the carpet. I'm thinking the paint will buff out and I can get someone to spray some clear coat on it. If the price is right.

I'm not sure if you know or not, and I'm not trying to sound crappy, but you can't just respray clear and expect it to look right. It doesnt work that way. Ive seen it tried before and it wasnt pretty. The new clear doesnt just blend with the old clear and make it look like original, it just covers over and shows all the stuff that youre seeing now, except that its now all shiny again, but with multi layers of slightly different colors.... not good. Trust me, the whole thing will have to be re sprayed with color before it can be resprayed with clear. Just trying to keep you from wasting money on a clear job that won't turn out like you want it to. I'm sure any good painter will tell you the same thing. I did bodywork and paint for a few years and went to Nashville Auto Diesel College for auto body repair, so you know I'm not just pulling this out of my butt. Good luck , and congrats on a nice save!

Umm, I don't know chit about paint and body. So you're saying I shouldn't get some of that rattle can clear coat and have at it? :D

I did that about 3 years ago and it's looking bad. Call this place for touch up:http://automotivetouchup.com/

One can of spray color and 1 can of spray clear will do a hood, fender, or tailgate, etc and it lasts a long time. I did this fender:Image Not Found

I'll shoot some pics of the tailgate where I used some regular clearcoat on the tailgate to show that it will not last. Nice truck and I hate you falling into a deal like that. :D

I'm digging this truck, the blind spots from the topper are a little annoying though. The trucker mirrors help a lot, much better than the smaller joystick versions.[ I went with a "Back up Camera " semi-remote system w/infra-red nite vision :thumbsup: