Drain plug on the D44 housing?

My axle is in the shop for regearing so I can not look at it. It's from an 89 MJ. Those of you that have one, if there is no drain plug, is there a boss there like in the pic that can be drilled and tapped to install a plug?

i have not seen them on factory jeep 44s but i have been drilling and putting drain plugs there for a while now so someone just got smart i think

Do all Dana 44s have this drain plug? Specifically those used on the MJs?

Image Not Found

No drain, no boss on my '88 MJ w/'88 MJ D44. I thought about it though when I overhauled it, but, lazy a$$ that I am, I decided that unbolting and prying off the lid every time I want to change the Mobil 1 would be much easier (than installing a drain). Doh! If I had a drain plug I would deny myself the opportunity to spill huge amounts of diff oil all over the shop floor, not to mention the invaluable practice at cursing that would be lost. And think of the mental anguish that those wonderful employees at Permatex would have to endure as their job security was threatened by people installing drain plugs in their punkins! No, I'll never put a drain plug in mine. I couldn't live with the guilt!

No drain, no boss on my '88 MJ w/'88 MJ D44. I thought about it though when I overhauled it, but, lazy a$$ that I am, I decided that unbolting and prying off the lid every time I want to change the Mobil 1 would be much easier (than installing a drain). Doh! If I had a drain plug I would deny myself the opportunity to spill huge amounts of diff oil all over the shop floor, not to mention the invaluable practice at cursing that would be lost. And think of the mental anguish that those wonderful employees at Permatex would have to endure as their job security was threatened by people installing drain plugs in their punkins! No, I'll never put a drain plug in mine. I couldn't live with the guilt!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :jump: