Jeep Tonneau Cover

Looking for information, brand, or any home brewed type of tonneau covers. Also does anyone know if there is other trucks that interchange with a MJ? I have an 1990 short bed that I want to get covered. Thanks for the help

if you want one that is guaranteed to fit go to a local truck and car accessory shop and see if they can get tonneau covers from Berlin covers they will custom make it to fit the Comanche i was looking into getting one for mine and thats what the local truck accessory shop said is to have it custom made so that it will fit and look right

You could have ordered that from the factory as a option when the truck was new. I think that S-10's would work

Brandon

An S-10 is about 2" narrower than an MJ, same length (or closer). The dimensions of a early to mid 90's (92-96) Ford Ranger is just about spot on at 65.5"

You could have ordered that from the factory as a option when the truck was new. I think that S-10's would work

Brandon

An S-10 is about 2" narrower than an MJ, same length (or closer). The dimensions of a early to mid 90's (92-96) Ford Ranger is just about spot on at 65.5"

Ok thank you very much for that info ill keep that in mind.

Brandon

• 4 years later...

Ordered a Tonneau cover from Tonnopro.com  Got a trifold for a Ford Ranger 1982- 2013. Model # 42-304. Fits great! The rumor about Comanche beds not being square is true. The cover fits but you can see where the bed starts to get narrow by the tailgate. No big deal still fits and looks great.

The Tonneau from http://downeyproductsnortheast.com/sst-206040-jeep-comanche-7-long-bed.html fits the shape of the bed. mine narrows when the bed does and almost can't tell from the out side. it is made just for the Comanche. I put a long hinge at the end of the bed near the cab and added two shocks one on each side. it allows me to lift it and then I have a lock each side of the Tonneau that requires the tailgate open to lift the Tonneau.

• 5 years later...
On 4/15/2015 at 8:39 PM, Marine1Texas said:

The Tonneau from http://downeyproductsnortheast.com/sst-206040-jeep-comanche-7-long-bed.html fits the shape of the bed. mine narrows when the bed does and almost can't tell from the out side. it is made just for the Comanche. I put a long hinge at the end of the bed near the cab and added two shocks one on each side. it allows me to lift it and then I have a lock each side of the Tonneau that requires the tailgate open to lift the Tonneau.

I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled upon this and I found the 6ft bed version of this on their website and I'm interested in it. However, I have the factory roll bar on my 88 Comanche Chief, anyone know any modifications to this? Or know where I can find a tonneau cover that will work with the roll bar?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Kheltic said:

I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled upon this and I found the 6ft bed version of this on their website and I'm interested in it. However, I have the factory roll bar on my 88 Comanche Chief, anyone know any modifications to this? Or know where I can find a tonneau cover that will work with the roll bar?

Thanks

Sell me your sports bar then a regular cover will fit.

8 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Doesn’t @PCO6 have one?

I have one that appears to be correct based on a Part# that someone found and posted here in another thread.  I have Model: 8982-200-691 for a short bed with a sports bar and it would suit my MJ.   I Initially dismissed it as being original because the instructions have nothing to indicate that it's a MOPAR or AMC part and Comanche is spelled with 2 m's.   Someone found the above part number (all of them I think) and it matched up.   I'll try to find that thread as it had some good info. 

What I have is new and has never been installed.   I can't imagine it would ever look as good as what's shown in the '86 Accessories brochure.   The main problem I have with it is that it is secured by Velcro down the sides of the box and the tailgate.  It would look OK when installed but terrible when it is off.   

Here are a few pics ... 

18-10-07 4.JPG

18-10-07 5.JPG

18-10-07 6.JPG

18-10-07 7.JPG

Re the above, here is the thread I mentioned.    @CoastChief posted details from another Accessories Guide and one of the worksheet pages shows the tonneau I have and the corresponding Part# (4th up from the bottom).   At $143.95 in the 1980's I can see why there might not have been many sold. 

Jeep Comanche Accessories guide - OEM INSPIRATION - MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs - Comanche Club Forums

image.jpg.181d68f013f2c14c026541599d07419d.jpg

31 minutes ago, PCO6 said:

I have one that appears to be correct based on a Part# that someone found and posted here in another thread.  I have Model: 8982-200-691 for a short bed with a sports bar and it would suit my MJ.   I Initially dismissed it as being original because the instructions have nothing to indicate that it's a MOPAR or AMC part and Comanche is spelled with 2 m's.   Someone found the above part number (all of them I think) and it matched up.   I'll try to find that thread as it had some good info. 

What I have is new and has never been installed.   I can't imagine it would ever look as good as what's shown in the '86 Accessories brochure.   The main problem I have with it is that it is secured by Velcro down the sides of the box and the tailgate.  It would look OK when installed but terrible when it is off.   

Here are a few pics ... 

18-10-07 4.JPG

18-10-07 5.JPG

18-10-07 6.JPG

18-10-07 7.JPG

Oh wow that's awesome, are those metal bars the supports for front and tailgate? What keeps it from sagging in the middle from rain and snow?

Initially I was going to grab some marine grade vinyl and do my best to sew up a template so I can make them.

Velcro isn't a problem since I was probably going to but button snaps on the bed and tonneau, kinda like how the old CJ's soft tops worked.

Still just have to figure out engineering supports to bow the center up a little.

Are you interested in selling the one you have?

8 minutes ago, PCO6 said:

Re the above, here is the thread I mentioned.   @CoastChief posted details from another Accessories Guide and one of the worksheet pages shows the tonneau I have and the corresponding Part# (4th up from the bottom).   At $143.95 in the 1980's I can see why there might not have been many sold. 

Jeep Comanche Accessories guide - OEM INSPIRATION - MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs - Comanche Club Forums

image.jpg.181d68f013f2c14c026541599d07419d.jpg

Wow, the fact that you found this information is astounding. 

32 minutes ago, Kheltic said:

Oh wow that's awesome, are those metal bars the supports for front and tailgate? What keeps it from sagging in the middle from rain and snow?

Initially I was going to grab some marine grade vinyl and do my best to sew up a template so I can make them.

Velcro isn't a problem since I was probably going to but button snaps on the bed and tonneau, kinda like how the old CJ's soft tops worked.

Still just have to figure out engineering supports to bow the center up a little.

Are you interested in selling the one you have?

The metal cross bow is installed at the mid point of the bed.   I've included the other 2 pages of the instructions for more details.   The covers are pretty basic and would be easy to make.  If I can help with dimensions I'd be happy to.   Replacing the Velcro strips with snaps would be the way to go.   My Brother has a '87 El Camino (last year made) and that's the way his works, which is much easier!   The cross bows on his are wood and the hardware looks like basic marine parts.   

I think I'm going to keep mine.  My '88 Eliminator is pretty original and I'm wrestling with modifying the cover.   I definitely would not want to go with the original Velcro design and would replace them with snaps ... so much for originality. 

MJ - Tonneau Pg. 2.jpg

MJ - Tonneau Pg. 3.jpg

45 minutes ago, Kheltic said:

Wow, the fact that you found this information is astounding. 

I didn't think it was an original piece mainly because of the spelling mistake.  The tonneau was no doubt made by an outside supplier but it's pretty funny that the mistake wasn't caught.  I appreciate the added info from @CoastChief.   I have the '86 Accessories brochure provided above by @Pete M but it doesn't include any part numbers.

I remember that thread too. I have found it very common for accessories by AMC or Mopar to have the misspelling of Comanche. Hell to this day it is still done. I went to order a sunshade from work and the brochure has Comanche spelled with two M's. Not sure who the moron is when spelling Comanche. 

4 hours ago, PCO6 said:

Here are a few pics ... 

18-10-07 4.JPG

18-10-07 5.JPG

18-10-07 6.JPG

18-10-07 7.JPG

Does the tonneau cover actually seal on the sportbar?