Fog Light Question for the older folks

Back in the day, specifically 1987, factory fog lights were available as a factory option. They were listed as "halogen fog lights". My comanche sales literature clearly shows Marchal fog lights on the front bumper and marchal driving lights on the roll bar. But my '87 came from the factory with "ROL" fog lights which I believe stands for "Rusted Old Lights" but I am not sure.

Does anyone remember what caused a jeep to get Marchal verses ROL fog lights?

Were the ROL ones dealer installed rather than factory installed????

I am absolutely certain my ROL lights were installed at the factory. ROL may stand for Rusted Out Lights but I am not sure. The writing is too rusted to read it. :rotf:

Of course with any Jeep from that time particular time period... Anything was possible at anytime. AMC was broke.. flat busted, destitute penniless broke.. The Renault tie-in was a total failure and AMC was swirling the drain. So whatever appeared in a brochure may have been something a marketing guy went out and bought at the hardware store for the picture cause it looked better than the factory used ones...

Marchal was factory installed '84-'86 XJ/ MJ. '87-'92 saw the ROL's factory installed. ROL's went away with the XJ Laredo & Limited trim in '92. The Mopar accessory light was Marchal through the AMC years and changed once the inventory was depleted in the first couple ChryCo years.

Mopar Marchal accessory lights could be had as either fog or driving lights depending on application. Finally, you may want to check with Daniel Stern Lighting if you're getting junkyard Marchal fogs. From what he's told me in the past (4+ years ago) he has a selection of both new and used Marchal parts. Pricey stuff, so I'm not sure how nice you want your lights to be.

• 3 years later...

Back in the day, specifically 1987, factory fog lights were available as a factory option. They were listed as "halogen fog lights". My comanche sales literature clearly shows Marchal fog lights on the front bumper and marchal driving lights on the roll bar. But my '87 came from the factory with "ROL" fog lights which I believe stands for "Rusted Old Lights" but I am not sure.

Where are you seeing "ROL"?

In 1987 through February of 1988 AMC/Jeep was in partnership with Renault, a French company. Marchal is/was a French company. AMC used ONLY Marchal for fog lights on all their vehicles during that time period. The off-road lights on the rollbar of my '87 MJ are KC Daylighters, and I'm certain they are factory equipment. I'm only the second owner, and the original owner was an older gentleman who just drove it, he didn't modify anything.

Where are you seeing "ROL"?

In 1987 through February of 1988 AMC/Jeep was in partnership with Renault, a French company. Marchal is/was a French company. AMC used ONLY Marchal for fog lights on all their vehicles during that time period. The off-road lights on the rollbar of my '87 MJ are KC Daylighters, and I'm certain they are factory equipment. I'm only the second owner, and the original owner was an older gentleman who just drove it, he didn't modify anything.

Wow just sitting here drinking my morning coffee and saw this post and thought hmm. This looked familiar.  Very old post.  Yes my fogs (installed on the bumper) were ROL.  The glass lens had ROL embossed on them.  My truck was bought in the summer of '87 off the lot. It is possible it was built before the Marchal agreement.  My comanche of the month photos show the ROL lights with the familiar Jeep caps. I see those caps quite regularly and always assumed they would also work with Marchal 750s or the later "Blazer type" but I don't know for sure.  On the ROL lights, the chrome metal behind the bulbs turn to ashes just by the sound of rain in the forecast.  I am sure the Marchals are better lights by a factor of 10.  I have had them turned on a few times but I don't want the bug splat to wear out the cat stickers so I tend to leave the caps on.   :yes:

Sorry Eagle.

I was trying to send him a pm about the rol light stuff I have had sitting in my basement for years. The pm was not working for me and I used this 4 year old post to do it .

He said he's been looking for them for years in the august mjotm post .

If this is directed toward me, I am absolutely interested.  Let me know what you want for them.  As a side note, since the comanche site was moved to a new platform a couple of years ago, I have found little incompatibilies along the way.  I have found the best way to fix them is to use google chrome rather than IE. Email address is garylundblad@hotmail.com

Hope that helps.  :cheers:

Yes my fogs (installed on the bumper) were ROL.  The glass lens had ROL embossed on them.  My truck was bought in the summer of '87 off the lot. It is possible it was built before the Marchal agreement.

No, it isn't possible. I don't know about any Marchal "agreement," but my sister-in-law had an early 80s Eagle SX-4 and that came from the factory with Marchals. There's a reason why the Jeep literature named Marchal lights by name -- that's what they were using, and back then the Marchal name was a premium brand. I very much suspect that anything else was either dealer installed or aftermarket.