Internal tire balancing???

I'm looking to find people who have used internal balancing weights wether copper bb's, plastic airsoft bb's, or the comercially available powders or beads.

I've read some people have used 50/50 anti-freeze.

My tires are 31x10.5 15

Just wanting to know if people have used any of these and their success or disasters.

My thoughts are that dynamic balancing would only benefit freeway driving, but may cause problems in stop and go under 35 daily driving as there would not be enough force created at lower speeds so the weights would just tumble on the bottom of the tire.

I used air soft BB's in my 34" LTB;s on my XJ. WORKED GREAT!!

The plastic air soft BB's were quiet enough, and worked great on the highway balancing a bias ply tire. I have no negative side to doing this.

See this chart.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

The air soft BB's tell you on the box/bottle, how much they weight each. Do the math for the 6oz each tire you will need.

My tire place uses Dynabeads and have those in my 235/75R15 snow tires as well as three out of four 35x12.50R15 mud tires. The fourth one popped a bead and now has airsoft BBs as do my used 33x12.50s I paid $25 each for that I use on the street. Never a problem yet. Driving 15mph down the alley I can hear them rolling around, any faster and they stay put against the tire.

The airsoft BBs sound like a rainmaker when you stop at a stop sign as they all fall down with some bouncing on the steel rim.

This method uses centripital (I think) forces to keep the tire in balance. The BB's move to the areas that have higher or lower pressure, and it litterally 'balances' out.

Its an el-cheapo way to get around having to pay a tire chain to balance your tires with lead weights; at least it is for Radials. As you go way up in tire size, it becomes harder to balance with weights and the BB's may become more necessary.

With Bias Ply, there's no reason not to do this.

stay away from anti freeze can eat away the tire slowly. But I have only heard good things from airsoft pellets I know a guy who runs them on 38's and has not had a problem. I would also not recommend the balancing sand any moisture in the tire and it clumps up.

what are the advantages of doing this? I just what to know

Brandon

No matter the situation, the BB's will attempt to balance the tires. Rim packed with mud or snow? Weights out of whack due to tire wear? The BB's will still go to where needed to re-balance dynamically.

Its an el-cheapo way to get around having to pay a tire chain to balance your tires with lead weights; .

Yes it is centripetal force that holds the dynamic weights around the curve of the tire. It's the same force that keeps water in a bucket as you spin it on a rope in 3rd grade. However this is not a "el-cheapo" method. It is suppose to allow on/off road with fewer problems. It automatically adapts to new tire flaws and also account for the weights that came off while in mud or bouncing off rocks. A majority of tire shops at least in this area don't even try to balance tires with large amounts of tread. I've had mine balanced 4 times now and each time (different shop) they say they hop on their machine. They've inspected for separating tread and odd wear.

The problem i see in using airsoft bb's vs the commercially available is the size of the pellets. The ones through http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ are smaller so they would disperse better. Thinking about force I don't think the mass of the object would have as much impact as size.

also both of these companies really advertise for 18 wheels and long trip driving.

Would the bb's or airsoft bb's damage an aluminum wheel???

Has anyone done a before and after drive with same tires/wheel combo with only adding internal weights?

I only used the internal balancing on my LTBs. When dismounted, you could not tell they had ever been there.

One thing to watch for. You HAVE to make sure the inside of the tire remains dry. Otherwize you will get clumping.

Also, with the weight of the air-softs, it took 2000 per tire...I am thinking that is enough disbursement.

A more expensive but GREAT option is this:

http://www.centramatic.com/Search.aspx?c=1105&member=

The advantage here is you can use them with ALL your tires. Street tires...they work, go to put your offroad tires on, they still work.

The advantage here is you can use them with ALL your tires. Street tires...they work, go to put your offroad tires on, they still work.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Try the rest, you will end up with the best.

CW

I only used the internal balancing on my LTBs. When dismounted, you could not tell they had ever been there.

One thing to watch for. You HAVE to make sure the inside of the tire remains dry. Otherwize you will get clumping.

Also, with the weight of the air-softs, it took 2000 per tire...I am thinking that is enough disbursement.

Had them on my TJ w/35's and they work great. I had already right clicked the link to post here, but.......the PO stated internal weight and I assume a cheaper alternative, so I let it go. :agree:

In my youth when I was a farm boy, they had a solution they put in tractor tires. It was meant to add weight to the tires for traction. Since it was meant for tires there shouldn't be any harmful effects like anti freeze. Why couldn't it be used for balancing?

:agree: Calcium Carbonate solution filled tires is used to counter-balance in most high lift construction equipment ( Skytrak eg. ) I've seen lots of guys fix a flat with a plug and re-fill with air , then the next high lift .......over goes the machine , Expensive :doh:

• 4 months later...

After throwing a 1.5 oz weight on a weekend wheeling trip and experiencing death wobble on the way home I stoped by and picked up 16 oz of .3g airsoft bb's.

I has the wheels balanced first then broke the bead and poured 8 oz in each of the fron two tires. Have i noticed a difference, acually yes. It seems the front experiences less road vibrations. Although it could be a placebo effect. I guess i will really be able to tell when i throw another weight.

Oh I do notice i can hear and ever faint rain when i slow at abotu 5mph as they drop on the wheel. After a 300 mile trip comming up will post a review.

I used to work for a trucking company and they used internal balanceing. The sand or powder was terraBle when it got wet. There is also a rubber pellet for balancing tires that work great. These trucks were used for everything from rock quarrys to scrap yards lots of slow driving and hyway use. Tires wore better and had less vibration than the stick on weights.

what about golf ball? PO of my current 35" tires told me that he used two golf balls in one of my tires. I havent drove my MJ fast enough yet to feel the balances because I havent do my isurance, sticker, liscense and regsitry for my MJ yet. :oops:

what about golf ball? PO of my current 35" tires told me that he used two golf balls in one of my tires. I havent drove my MJ fast enough yet to feel the balances because I havent do my isurance, sticker, liscense and regsitry for my MJ yet. :oops:

Interesting...

golf balls are bad they will break belts and dent aluminum rims.not to mention if you are lucky they just turn to powder and when that gets wet it clumps and realy throws ballance off.

that and the golf balls will do no balancing till they break down as they are 2 large masses rolling around. the concept of internal ballance is to add more mass via powder or pellets in the low mass area of your tires.

the powder or pellets will spread out to do this where as the golf balls will not.

I had the plastic pellets in my old bias 36x14R15 Grand Prix's (think grooved Ground Hawgs). They were so out of balance that not a single one could be balanced with a tire machine (flipped the machine once). Put in 12oz in each tire and almost ran perfect (would have been better if I put 16oz per tire). When I came to a stop, I never heard the pellets fall even with the doors off (that could be due to the tire noise though).

hmm so your recommend me to remove golf balls and get airsoft bbs? lucky i have plenty of airsoft bss in a bottle somewhere in my basement.

iiroc from link from this post said my tire (35"x12.5R15) should get about 8OZ per tire?