I hate Craigstlist people

huntinandhopin

I posted on here early last week about a comanche that I was interested in. Talked to the owner several times about it. We agreed that I would come and look at the truck on Friday. Well Friday rolls around and owner won't return my texts...try again several times over the weekend...nothing...Finally a few minutes ago, I used my wife's phone, texted owner "Do you still have the jeep comanche for sale off of craigslist, if so please send me pics."He immediatly texts back with "No. I sold it." :mad: Congrats that you sold it but atleast have the courtesy to let me know. Aw Well, i guess I am ack to huntin and hopin....

i hate idiots who think that someone is held to selling to you, when you supposedly "want it bad" but don't want it bad enough to put money down, or come get it.

cash is king. I sell anything I have for sale on a first come, first serve basis. only my friends and acquaintances get the benefit of me putting it on hold. and return customers...and that is because I have had the chance to gauge their personality and reliability.

I just sold a set of 33" swampers this week. had them up for $325. guy calls, has $200 cash. I told him if he gets here with it, they're his. he didn't get there before another guy called, got there, paid full price, and left with them.

cash is always king. been screwed too many times by waiting for people.

I understand Jeepco, but when we agreed that I would come look at it Friday because it was when he was off work, the last thing I said to him was "let me know if you sell it before then." I never once thought he would hold it for me but I did think that he would have the curtesy to let me know. The real complaint from me is when I texted him multiple times to get his address so I could go look at it, he didnt even respond. Simply reply that the truck is sold...The End...I had to use my wife's phone (different number) to even get a response from him.

I too sell things on craigslist and you are 100% correct, cash is king. I sold my motorcycle on there a few months ago. Had a guy wanting to come see it, another guy got here first and bought it. As soon as the sale was complete, I called the other guy and told him bike was sold. He called me an a-hole but atleast I let him know.

Anyway, back to huntin and hopin...

i hear u there like with mine i had to keep trying for 2 weeks before he called back. i noticed also atleast in az that it all comanche owners. also the ones who do call back arent the one u were looking for once they give u the stats and stuff about it.

Honestly if I were you I would keep harassing him untill he responds to your original phone number.

Then when he finally does lay a huge guilt trip on him for just not telling you it was sold.

I sold a XJ recently, turns out the first person to take a look at it bought it. But I had talked to like 6 people that same day who wanted to see it. Called them all back and told them it was sold, they were surprised and grateful that I took the trouble to call them back.

Made me feel happy I could be the better person out of all of that, so I'll take the chance to be a D!CK if someone can't spend 30 secs to tell me not to bother because its been sold.

A while ago Iwas set on buying a rust free 1980-something VW Jetta diesel for $500. I saw the ad and called; was the first caller. I asked them when was the soonest i could come look at it. They repleid "How about 10:00am tomorrow morning." I got there, cash in my pocket at 9:45. They had just sold it 30 minutes earlier. :grrrr:

if 10:00am is the soonest they told me I could come over, how could someone have bought it at 9:15? If they'd said 5:00am I would have been there at 5:00. Actually, probably at 4:45.

Bad thing is, without that Jetta I got my Mj, and then an XJ and yet another XJ. Add wheeling the MJ about monthly and now I'm always broke.

I've found that about 75 percent of callers are either, 1. Calling because their inquisitive and don't want the item to start with: 2. Don't have sufficient cash to pay for the item to begin with, or ship it: 3. Say they'll be by to check it out and know their not going to do any such thing.

My policy: Only a small percentage are not blowing smoke up my a---, so I don't wait for the "I'll come right over crowd" even if he lives on the block. First to show up with cash gets it. I tried to give away an entire stripprd MJ & 1/2 another FREE with the same line of crap from inquirers, you know the ones that say "boy I need that stuff, I'll be right over". Set the stuff in the driveway and told them to come and get it. Only one out of about thirty callers showed up for what they wanted (gas tank) during the month it sat out there . All the rest went to the dump.

I'm sorta the opposite of this discussion. as with mvusse i was set on buying a diesil golf for 1200$ last year. met up with the guy looked at it . it was machanically perfect but abit rusty. told him id email him if i wanted it. ended up i didnt want it so i emailed him and told him i didnt want it and was sorrey for wasting his time. he was quite amazed that i would ever email him back just to tell him i didnt want it anymore and to tell him good luck on selling it.

I've found that about 75 percent of callers are either, 1. Calling because their inquisitive and don't want the item to start with: 2. Don't have sufficient cash to pay for the item to begin with, or ship it: 3. Say they'll be by to check it out and know their not going to do any such thing.

My policy: Only a small percentage are not blowing smoke up my a---, so I don't wait for the "I'll come right over crowd" even if he lives on the block. First to show up with cash gets it. I tried to give away an entire stripprd MJ & 1/2 another FREE with the same line of crap from inquirers, you know the ones that say "boy I need that stuff, I'll be right over". Set the stuff in the driveway and told them to come and get it. Only one out of about thirty callers showed up for what they wanted (gas tank) during the month it sat out there . All the rest went to the dump.

My problem is that I came over at the EARLIEST time THEY told me I could come over. And they sold it already to someone that came over earlier. If it was okay to come over earlier, why didn't they tell me to come over earlier. I told them I could be there in 15 minutes when I called, but was told that didn't work for them because they were leaving for someplace.

They did apologize, but there was nothing they could do. The car was still their, but the other guy had the title already.

I was once in a cross state race for an XJ that was on CL located in deep rural MO. Told the guy I would be there noon on a sat morning. I call at 7am, no answer, to let him know I have been on the road for a few hours and am on the way. Left a message. At 9am I call to say I am 3 hrs out. This time he picks up and asks if I am on the way, because he has a guy from Iowa on the way. At this point I already picked up a uhaul dolly.

Luckily the guy from Iowa had a trailer bearing lock up on him 100 miles out. I was strapping down the Jeep, signed title in hand, when another (more local) fellow shows up for the Jeep. He was plenty upset I had the XJ and the CL poster vanished. I felt bad, but I had already been up since 5am and the Jeep was fairly mine.

Selling things or buying things on CL is always going to be a great or a horrible experience. Some are trust worthy and most are not. I have been on the good side for a long time trying to sell one parts Comanche. The buyer says he'll stop over tonight and never shows time after time. And usually they try to low ball you before even seeing the goods. That is a slap in the face and I will never change my price without cash in hand and face to face.

I did buy my current black comanche off CL and drove 12 hours to get it. If the owner had someone to buy it cash in hand he could/would have sold it. But with all your experience would you???

Tough times and fickle people always lead to disappointment.

I've been getting fed up with Craigslist lately. If it wasn't for the occasional deal that I grab every now and then, I would have deleted it from my bookmarks a while back. My biggest gripe are the people that list an item, don't provide a phone number or any means of contact information other than the randomly generated CL e-mail, but then either ignore or are too lazy to respond to any e-mails that they get. Why bother taking the time to list your item for sale if you aren't actually going to put forth an effort to sell it?

What I don't like about CL is that there is no binding contract to sell an item once you've listed it. You can throw an item up just to see how much interest it gets without ever having any real notion of selling something. It's like going to a store and finding an item at a good price, then going to the cash register to pay for it, and then they take it back from you and tell you it's not really for sale. Part of being a buyer on CL is being able to sniff out the idiots on there who have no real intention of selling something and moving on.

When I was looking for my dog, I used the CL community ads to see if there was anyone trying to rehome a Siberian Husky or Alaskan Malamute. I found a 6-month old Malamute about an hour from me that a girl was trying to rehome because she was moving. No phone number listed, so I sent an e-mail with my name and phone number included. I get an e-mail back from her saying that she'd like to talk to me some more and see if I was a good fit for her puppy, but she didn't provide a phone number. So I e-mailed her some info about myself. She sends a reply back saying that I sound like a perfect fit, but again, doesn't provide a phone number or address or anything where I can get in touch. I send an e-mail back that says I want to meet the puppy and close the deal and ask for a phone number and/or address. I get another e-mail back that again explains that I'm a good fit for her dog. Great, so lets get this done already. I continue to ask for another means of contact besides her e-mail and all I get are more questions about myself, my home, prior experience, etc etc. At this point I told her I was sick of beating around the bush and would go look elsewhere since she was just wasting my time. Found another dog on CL, owner called me within minutes of sending an e-mail and I picked him up later that day. A week later, I get an e-mail back from the other girl asking if I was still interested and guess what, she provides an address to see the dog and a phone number to contact her at...too bad she missed the boat, although I'm sure she wasn't devastated that she didn't have to give her dog away...

I will never again list my phone number within the CL listing. I did once and immediately started receiving telemarketers. They have not stopped and was 2 years ago. I also only use the random CL email forward for the same reason. I also embed large, CLEAR pictures from photobucket in the listing.

However, I always reply to an email within 24 hours, usually within 8 hours. I also include my phone number in the reply. I prefer to communicate via email, just because I HATE using the phone, up to when it comes time to arrange a meeting.

You can throw an item up just to see how much interest it gets without ever having any real notion of selling something.

I may be (sort of) guilty of this. I listed my (now deceased) '91 Cougar on Craigslist as it was aging and I wanted to see what kind of offers I'd get and if they were anything close to what I was looking for. I don't think I did any harm, though. Almost all the offers I received were from, "Hey, that car should be free!" people offering Wal-mart brand stereo equipment or insanely low amounts of cash.

My favorite craigslist type are the ones who show up and start telling YOU what's wrong with YOUR vehicle, then want to buy it at a significantly reduced price! My mom had an old F-150 listed on CL, that drew the interest of two young guys. They came and took it on a test-drive, and returned telling her that the front end was so out of whack that it was basically a "death trap" and that it shouldn't be driven or somebody would get hurt. They then proceded with their (very low) low-balling. Why they thought that would work is beyond me. :shake:

I will never again list my phone number within the CL listing. I did once and immediately started receiving telemarketers. They have not stopped and was 2 years ago. I also only use the random CL email forward for the same reason. I also embed large, CLEAR pictures from photobucket in the listing.

However, I always reply to an email within 24 hours, usually within 8 hours. I also include my phone number in the reply. I prefer to communicate via email, just because I HATE using the phone, up to when it comes time to arrange a meeting.

I'm the exact same way, give people your phone number and they act like they have ADD and call you. Then proceed to ask you questions that are clearly answered in the item description.

I use the CL email system to screen potential buyers. Weeds out the people who will just call with no real interest because they can just pickup the phone. Plus then it allows me to make return calls, giving me a little bit of control over when I talk to people and in what order. The worst is listing an item with a phone number and getting random phone calls that you may or may not be able to take.

If you send me an email, it goes right to my computer and to my phone, I'll see it, either reply, or call you back as soon as I can.

I don't like using my phone either, especially since my boss has told me to not take personal calls at work unless it's an emergency. However, since there is no 'binding contract' with CL sellers and it's almost always 'first come first serve' you need to be on the ball. E-mail, although a very popular form of communication these days, is slow and tedious for most people. It lacks the personal connection you make with someone like a phone call or face-to-face meet-n-greet does. E-mail, as well as text messaging, gives people a way to hide themselves. I will admit - I don't respond to every single one of my e-mails, mainly because I get so many of them, but I will answer or return a phone call 95% of the time.

I don't have unlimited texts and so I get very annoyed when someone wants to send a separate email for every question they have. The last guy sent me at least 2 dozen texts (even after I said, just pick up the phone and call me). Then he wanted me to drive to the next state over to deliver some wheels at lunchtime on a weekday. I just post in my thread no texts simply because of that guy.

i've had mostly positive experiences on CL... bought the mj from someone who had it for sale on there, matter of fact my last 5 vehicles were found on there... the only bad experience i had was trying to sell my '01 police interceptor. i got a ton of tire kickers and it took me about 4 months to sell it... i think next time i wanna sell a car i'm gonna list it in auto trader.

A while ago Iwas set on buying a rust free 1980-something VW Jetta diesel for $500. I saw the ad and called; was the first caller. I asked them when was the soonest i could come look at it. They repleid "How about 10:00am tomorrow morning." I got there, cash in my pocket at 9:45. They had just sold it 30 minutes earlier. :grrrr:

if 10:00am is the soonest they told me I could come over, how could someone have bought it at 9:15? If they'd said 5:00am I would have been there at 5:00. Actually, probably at 4:45.

Bad thing is, without that Jetta I got my Mj, and then an XJ and yet another XJ. Add wheeling the MJ about monthly and now I'm always broke.

The exact thing happened to me on a Cherokee. I called 5 min after the add posted but he said I couldn't come by until 10 the next morning. He assured me that, since I called first, I would have 1st dibs if I was there at 10:00am. I drove an hour to his house the next morning, showed up @ 9:50 and a guy was loading the Cherokee on a trailer. The seller was in the house(which was probably good) so I called him while I was driving off and let him know what I thought of his selling tactics. Also posted a Reply to his CL add telling everyone what a lousy seller he was. I doubt it did any good but at least it made me feel a little better. :fs2:

i had one similar ot that from craigslist...i called a guy about a ZJ on my girlfriends phone and he didnt answer twice. waited an hour and i called him from her phone, no answer. called back on her phone and he picked up screaming at me saying that if he doesnt answer his phone the first time doesnt mean i should call back. he then threw some choice words into the conversation. then a post on craigslist "mysteriously" appeared under the "men seeking men" category with the same number as the guy with the ZJ. weird, huh? :D

Josh