1992 Comanche Build

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet looking rig.... LOve the truggy thing :brows: I would definately look into doing something different in the rear, cause eventually you will end up bigger trust me I know :cry: If you were closer I would just about give you a rear 60. Narrow it up, then throw some 35 spline yukon alloys in and call it good

The long awaited picture of the top of the rock sliders. comanche089az1.jpg

And in response to other recent comments and questions...

My front axle is out of a 1980-ish J10 and is 65" wide (WMS to WMS). It has ford knuckes and stub shafts in it from a 1974 ford bronco.

My cage from the cab to the front bumper will be endo and tied into the front fenders, shock hoops, and bumper.

All welding to the unibody thus far has been fully welded, rather than stitch welded. Its obviously more work, but we did this to distribute any loads that the sheet metal experiances as much as possible.

I unfortunatly misread the question about the rain gutters, so I took a picture of the wrong thing. However, the plates attached to them are 1/8" thick and have holes drilled in them that have had a dimple dye pressed into them to give them a 3rd dimension, which significantly increases their rigidity. They are wleded directly to the rain gutters to attempt to stiffen up the cab (it used to pop and wrinkle its sheet metal when I wheeled the truck stock, without doors on it).

Recent progress has been a bit slow. We decided to go ahead and replace my rear main seal as it was leaking, and discovered it was also time for a new clutch, so both of those were replaced. I also replaced my exhaust manifold (it was cracked), and my crank shaft's harmonic ballancer (it was rubbing the accessory bracket on the front of the engine).

The truck has recieved several coats of paint to keep rust to a minimum for now (not completely reflected in pictures). We went ahead and made some lids for the storage boxes in the bed. I also welded down my expanded steel for the bed surface. I finished my axe and shovel mounts, and we mounted my high lift jack. We built a new front drive shaft and installed a rear driveshaft I had made by a local drive shaft shop. The brakes have been bled, as has the clutch, and the engine has been started breifly. We are still in the process of making a custom exhaust for the truck as well as a front bumper/winch mount.

I can start to see the end of the tunnel, but we're still far from it.

Here are a few pictures of some of the recent developments (and no, the chrome exhaust pipe in the bed in one of the pictures is not for my truck ;)).

comanche079td9.jpg

comanche080tf3.jpg

comanche082sb0.jpg

comanche086ei6.jpg

comanche075xo9.jpg

• 1 month later...

you guys are gonna HATE me when i ask this dumb question. what is the point of a dual T-case?

It appears to me that the T-case only has the two driveshaft ends, and obviously it wouldn't be used for more than two axles.

So I will assume that it is to have a creeper gear and a wider selection of low speeds in 4wd. is that correct?

So I will assume that it is to have a creeper gear and a wider selection of low speeds in 4wd. is that correct?

perfect.

Low range is about 2.6:1 plus another low range of 2.6:1 means with both t-cases in low range, the gearing is more like 6.76:1

Well that clears things up. I built a Cub Low-boy turf lawnmower for my pops and found a creeper gear for that, so i grasp the concept.

just wanted to be sure, better to ask questions than to assume i'm right.

Thanks Kassidy

Low range is about 2.6:1 plus another low range of 2.6:1 means with both t-cases in low range, the gearing is more like 6.76:1

Which would be pretty cool, but... my low ranges come out to 2.72:1 and 4.0:1, for a t-case based low range of 10.88:1 and a final crawl ratio of 214:1 (it would be a relatively quick 53:1 without the Rubicon Transfer case). :chillin:

MORE PICS PLEASE!! INSIDE OUTSIDE CLOSEUP UNDER THE BED OVER THE BED FROM THE SIDE FROM THE BACK!!!

I'm gonna be frank here, we've built the Jeep to be functional and unique. I posted pictures thinking people would like to see something that was a bit different, and maybe even get a bit inspired by it- which is great if it does that.

I appreciate the fact that you really like the design of the bed, but I honestly can't say I'm terribly interested in the idea an identical copy of it floating around somewhere; that really just takes the whole 'uniqueness' concept and throws it under the bus as far as I'm concerned. At the point you seem to basically be looking for an AutoCAD version of it, I'm feeling like my bed may not remain too unique for too long.

If you really want to have something like it, that's cool- its your truck. The pictures posted show the basic body lines for your reference. ;)

Thinking outside of the box isn't that tough to do, you just need to be willing to give it a go. Best of luck building your bed. :cheers:

MORE PICS PLEASE!! INSIDE OUTSIDE CLOSEUP UNDER THE BED OVER THE BED FROM THE SIDE FROM THE BACK!!!

I'm gonna be frank here, we've built the Jeep to be functional and unique. I posted pictures thinking people would like to see something that was a bit different, and maybe even get a bit inspired by it- which is great if it does that.

I appreciate the fact that you really like the design of the bed, but I honestly can't say I'm terribly interested in the idea an identical copy of it floating around somewhere; that really just takes the whole 'uniqueness' concept and throws it under the bus as far as I'm concerned. At the point you seem to basically be looking for an AutoCAD version of it, I'm feeling like my bed may not remain too unique for too long.

If you really want to have something like it, that's cool- its your truck. The pictures posted show the basic body lines for your reference. ;)

Thinking outside of the box isn't that tough to do, you just need to be willing to give it a go. Best of luck building your bed. :cheers:

well put

The Comanche now has a complete custom exhaust, an engine skid that ties into the transfer case skid, some unibody skids behind the transfer case skid, and a rear cross member. We also test flexed the suspension on a 53" Michelin because we couldn't help ourselves. It still lacks shocks and needs its travel limited (both up and down).

Our next project is crossover steering based on some flat top knuckles, because we aren't happy with the current track bar clearances.

comanche094tn1.jpg

comanche097wa2.jpg

comanche098zl6.jpg

comanche101or3.jpg

comanche104ku3.jpg

comanche105de4.jpg

comanche106hh7.jpg

-Andrew

you said "complete custom exhaust"...in the pics? or are you refrencing the ?stacks? laying in the bed? -stacks would be cool been thinking about it-

I suppose I didn't get a pic of it. It dumps out at the end of the transfer case skid. No stacks for me- yet. I've been thinking about them too. I figured I could route one through one of my tool boxes, and convert it into a burrito warmer. ;)