1992 Comanche Build

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like your truck!! it looks like your rear end isnt getting that much flex. is that true, or just the pics?

The rear wasn't moving around too much. A lot of it is due to weight transfer, I think (most of the weight was on the down hill side). In any case, we have yet to really address the rear suspension. The overload springs may come out eventually, and we are definatly gonna build new rear spring hangers for the leaves as well as new longer shackles. Right now the rear suspension is bone stock, other than the springs sitting on top of the axle. ;)

I had/have a big problem with Pong after I went bedless with the rear end not compressing fully, due to lack of weight. Thats why I am just going to link it, and use air shocks. Much easier then trying to remove leafs, build anti-wrap bar, and keep trying to get the sring rate right.

Pete thats because you carry everything including a kitchen sink in your bed. I can't view pics (pic websites are banned on these comps) but I'm sure your bed is full of spare junk. Anyway you could find a big lead wieght and hang it under the rea bed part of the MJ and that would help. I think some 200 MPPH duct tape would hold it real nice too. ;) :nuts:

Cole

Oh yeah, I carry my fair share of spare parts and supplies. :brows: I like to be prepared as I jump in my old truck and drive 10 hours from home to go wheelin. But even a spare tire should be enough weight to get the leafs flexin' a bit more. Mudzilla, do you intend on mounting a spare back there? Balance between the front and rear suspensions can be tricky. I remember seeing Rick's (xjs4ever) old MJ and the rear flexed great but the front wouldn't do much, probably due to the stiff coils and lack of weight pushing down on them (2.5L).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just checked out this build for the first time, and its probably the best I've seen on here. And I wouldn't worry too much about the 8.8, weld the tubes to the center and it should hold up. I ran 37s on an 8.8 for a couple of abusive years, until I spun the center.

First post on this forum... I have been through this build a couple times, and really like it a lot. :cheers: Inspired me to go down the street to a neighbor that has a 86 'Manche X. It has rust issues in the body, not sure about the floor. Bedsides are shot, drivers door is shot and the tailgate is in really bad shape. Other than rust, things are straight. It has the 2.5 and a 5 speed (AX5 or T5, not sure) and 4.10s in the 30/35s. needs brakes, battery and a windshield, but is claimed to start and run good. I can get it for less than $200 probably. :wrench:

So I'm thinking I want to build a bed like yours, but maybe shorten the wheelbase to a bit longer than a XJ, and coil spring the rear. Leave just enough rear frame so I can hang mudflaps for 35"ers, since I want to keep it street legal here in Utah. :wavey: I want a shorter truck, as my ZJ is about as long as I want to hit local trails with. I hate doing two and three point turns on switchbacks!

Since this truck is so rusty, I wouldn't feel bad about tearing it up some... Hmmm, how soilid is that NP207?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...