PWNED by my TJ.....(pics added)

mjeff87

Finally got mirror relocation brackets for the TJ so I can run doorless. Installed them yesterday after work, and was taking the steel half doors off and did a stupid move. Pulled the passenger door off and set it on the step rail to get a better grip on it, and then proceeded to lift it by the soft upper and it fell straight to the ground. Problem was, I was wearing flip flops :doh: instead of my steel-toes, and crushed a couple of toes and 90% amputated the tip of my second toe.

911 call (I was home alone), ride to the hospital in the meatwagon, 5 hours in the ER with IV antibiotics, 12 stitches through the nailbed, and got back home about 9 PM last night with a bottle of percocets and some antibiotics. Oh, and I almost forgot.....a teatnus shot just to round everything off.

I go to see an orthopedic surgeon this week, hopefully I'll be able to keep the toe tip that they sutured back together. That toenail is gone, and I might have to have the big toenail taken off too if the pressure underneath it doesn't start subsiding. I'll post up some pics tonight when my wife and I change my dressings.

Jeff

Lesson: even the simplest of things can go very bad if you aren't thinking about what you're doing :oops:

ouch, that sounds really painful. its stupid and i do it to. i go out and work in the garage for a few minutes, or go outside with flip flops on and then start working on something. definitely a bad idea. i've come super close to doing exactly what you did with the door uppers a couple times years ago. i've learned my lesson, luckily. gotta hold the door only.

good luck through it all, and please don't post pics :rotfl2:

Wow Jeff.........don't sound like you started the weekend off very well :eek:

Yes, broken toes hurt for a long time, and every step you take.........a reminder :headpop:

Hope for the better on saving that toe. Guest you'll be walking on your heels for some time now.

Good luck, and speedy recovery :D

Oh.......and I'll add........

:needpics:

OUCH!

Your a tougher man than I am. If that had happened to me, I think about now I'd be keeping myself "heavily medicated" and I'd be in no condition to be posting on some Internet forum.

Damn Jeff, that's going to ruin your dancin' moves for awhile. :D Not a show stopper, but a temp painful delay. We've all been there in one way or another doing stupid moves causing pain and learn from them until the next time. Beer w. meds definitely leads to faster healing too...... :cheers:

Thanks all....percocets and Bud Light seem to be doing the trick :-D Here's a few pics (Rob, I know you'll enjoy these)

steel-toed flip-flops (not):

Image Not Found

post-ER:

Image Not Found

the grand unveiling last night:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Man , I feel for ya' , be careful with those perc's though , they can bottle neck your digestive system real easy . You don't want to be pinching a brick with your toe throbbing like that . :shake:

At least the ER did not cut you sandle off to get at your busted toes. :doh:

:rotfl2:

Jeff.......not too bad looking......We'll hope for the best on your recovery :yes:

Hope you can stay off your feet at work.......or you going to take some sick time???

Oh, and you'll learn real fast how to drive left footed, I had an ankle case on for 6 weeks years ago, and learn to use the left foot real fast if I wanted to get any wheres :D

Jeff I don't feel so bad now for doing the same thing with my half doors. I didn't drop mine near as high but it did hurt even with sneakers on. Best of luck in your recovery.

:cheers:

I can certainly sympathize as I once had a 200 lb. guy leap over his hockey bag and land right on my right foot with his ice skates on. Still got all my toes thank god, but it left a really nice gash ;)

:cheers: Here's to a speedy recovery. You don't realize how important your toes are until you've severely injured them and it makes it damn near impossible to walk for a couple weeks.

thanks all.....

I'm not doing too bad, in fact my toes are starting to look like toes again (but they're pretty neat colors) Went to the ortho surgeon today, he says things are looking pretty good considering what happened. All three toes on the foot are broken, but the big concern is infection. I'm on oral antibiotics for 10 days, and I'll probaby get the stitches out in about 2 weeks if all looks well. Gave me a big enclosed-toe boot to wear. My foot looks like frankenstein.

Jeff

...but hows the bottom of the door? :brows:

:jump:

Laslo just stepped out of the closet again.

I thought Chico was Laslo...will need to find another analogy for The Deuce (yes, I just referred to myself in the 3rd person as "The Deuce")

...but hows the bottom of the door? :brows:

:jump:

Laslo just stepped out of the closet again.

I thought Chico was Laslo...will need to find another analogy for The Deuce (yes, I just referred to myself in the 3rd person as "The Deuce")

LMAO. You be right, I crowned Chico as "Laslo" first. I'll put some thought in to the character most representative of the now sporadic and unexpected appearances by "The Deuce". :chillin: