Bad oil filter ? . . .

I ran AMSOIL High Zinc formula 10w-40 in my 2.5er all winter long truck fired right up and had almost instant oil pressure . . .

So figured ok then when it gets 90*F out i'll move up to 20w-50 HZ AMSOIL but the oil light delays a few seconds after starting nothing abnormally long i guess, but its never done this before, so i was thinking well maybe running 3 bottles of oil and 1 bottle of lucas was a bit heavy for it, which it prolly is but 90*F weather and 193K mile engine figured all would be fine . . .

So i fixed the 6.5er, and i started driving the GMC instead of the Jeep for a few days i tapped on the oil filter before i started sounded empty ran it for a few minutes then tapped on the filter again solid and full sounding . . .

Normally 4 quarts of oil or 3Qts oil 1 qt Lucas my truck is right on full now its like 3/8" over full with 4qts is my filter bad ? and draining back into my engine ? :hmm: ?

The oil light stay's on about the time it dose when i change the oil or a little less No knock's no tick's no rattles so it made sense to me :smart:

Mike

The 88 4.0L filter is upside down. I am guessing, but think there should be, that there is a check valve in the mount to prevent the oil from draining back out. Maybe it is stuck open. I will try to find out if there is a check valve or if someone else knows maybe they can say.

:hijack: what's wrong with the fram one ???

my budy has one in his cherokee and never had a prob with it

is he just lucky or it makes a difference on the engine

I read that it could cause low oil pressure on the old 2.8 but that's about it .......

Well my truck has a Wix filter on it, next oil change or maybe for the heck of it i'll just swap out the oil filter once here and see what it dose . . .

Maybe i'll even try a Fram just for giggles . . .

Mike

Anyone can make one bad filter.

Fram makes a point of making every filter bad.

The 360 in my old J4600 (early J20) would rattle, knock, and show zero oil pressure when it first started up.

this was back in the early 1990's when I exclusively used Fram filters (they 'used' to be very good).

I put one of those 'oil additives' in it, and the rattling & knocking went away, but it still showed zero pressure for the first 30 seconds to a minute after every cold start.

After years of this (and continuing to think Fram made the best filters), I switched to a different brand,

viola, oil pressure came right up. :mad:

I still have a few Fram filters leftover from back then,

I wouldn't put them on my lawnmower now.

FWIW, I supported Fram because they continued to make an HP (high performance, high pressure) filter that fit AMC's.

I was not using that filter on the Jeep (too much $$, and not warranted in this application),

but I like to support those who support my hobby.

That was my thinking of it, But i wanted to see if there was such a thing as a "defective" or "Bad" oil filter . . . Before replacing parts on the engine itself . . .

Mike

My sister in law got an oil change at 'Jiffy Lube',

it seemed fine at first, then after a day, or so she had ZERO oil pressure.

None, it would start up, and run 'OK' (It was a Plymouth Horizon, so it's hard to tell when those POS's are running poorly anyway :doh: ),

but no oil pressure on the gauge.

First thing I did was remove the filter,

and it was BONE DRY.

Not a single drop of oil came out of it, like you just pulled it out of the box.

I put a new filter on it, and the car had pressure again.

My best guess was the filter was somehow internally blocked,

but the engine was only able to push the fresh oil through the it's internal bypass for the first day.

(I'm guessing Horizon engines had the bypass like most other engines, to deal with clogged oil filters).

All I really learned was:

don't go to Jiffy Lube

filters can be bad off the shelf

and Plymouth Horizons will sometimes try to kill themselves.

:fs1: Well maybe i'll go out and pull the filter off and see if its oily or not . . . if so i'll reinstall it and assume it's just losing prime ?

I wished i had a gauge all i have is lights but when i stall it out with the hey on the oil light pops on instantly so i am assuming the light is working correctly . . . and i do have oil pressure . . .

Mike

Oil filter is a WIX it is full of oil :smart: bit messy of a test :ack:

I guess all is just fine i guess swapping out 1qt of 20-50 for 1qt of Lucas oil stabilizer was just a bit rich for the old girl next oil i'll just run straight 20-50 . . .

Mike

:hijack: what's wrong with the fram one ???

my budy has one in his cherokee and never had a prob with it

is he just lucky or it makes a difference on the engine

I read that it could cause low oil pressure on the old 2.8 but that's about it .......

I almost lost my 4.0 to a fram filter (on the way to a weekend of wheeling no less). With no warning I noticed that I had 0 oil pressure about an hour into my drive. I was figuring that my pump was going (didn't know about frams yet) and my "fix" was to stop by a parts store and refill the truck with a heavier weight oil. that caused the pressure needle to at least move, though it never got above 10 psi when revving the engine.

After babying it the entire weekend, I got home and asked around. A couple guys mentioned the filter and so I swapped it out. sure enough, the pressure came back immediately. Never used a fram since.

That GM-2.8 V6 wasn't the greatest design in the world either . . . but they did what they had to do for slightly longer then intended then they blew up, over heated or wore out . . .

Mike

I've seen this Fram filter discussion many times and I have a question. As I recall the Fram filter has a bigger filter media which allows larger items through. I read that as the oil flows through more readily. I was nursing a Voyager with low oil pressure and the pressure was a bit higher with a fram filter than a Purolator. That all makes sense when you think of pressure drop through the filter. The oil flows easier through the Fram and the pressure sending unit must be down stream from the filter. If I apply all of that reasoning/observation to a Jeep with comments from here that the oil pressure is higher with a non-Fram filter, then it follows that the pressure sender is upstream from the filter and therefore having a higher reading may not be as reassuring as you might think.

Is there something wrong with my reasoning or am I missing something?

• 1 year later...

This has been an interesting read, quite an eye opener for me about Fram filters - I've used them religiously for as long as I've been doing oil changes and never had an issue with them. I recently did an engine swap on my '88 Comanche (4.0L), and the issue I'm having is only on start-up. I have a pressure guage installed, and it's taking 3-5 seconds after start-up before I'm getting any oil pressure, and I can hear the engine running dry (rattling) until I get pressure on the gauge and it smooths right out so I know that it's working properly. This only happens when it's left for a while (like over night), if you use it again within an hour or so it doesn't do it, and I don't have any pressure issues once it's going, it's as though the filter is completely draining and the pump has to re-prime and fill the filter every time. I've taken the pump and filter base off and I'm not able to see any check in that section to prevent drain back - is my engine missing a piece, is the check on the discharge side of the filter? I set the pump up in my bench vise and filled it with oil, it does drain down slowly if left alone - I have a spare oil pump that I know is good and I did the same test with the same results, which is not suprising as it's just a gear pump and there will be some internal clearances. Any insight that you guys would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated - the less times I take the oil pan off the better.

I personally had two no-flow Frams. One on my Ranger and one on a tractor I had.

NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!again.

I have about 20K on my 2.5 and I still run Lucas and Havoline 40w. Runs damn good too. So no the Lucas was not a little 'rich' for your 2.5 ............it was something else.

I personally had two no-flow Frams. One on my Ranger and one on a tractor I had.

NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!again.

I have about 20K on my 2.5 and I still run Lucas and Havoline 40w. Runs damn good too. So no the Lucas was not a little 'rich' for your 2.5 ............it was something else.

Did you get my emails regarding jeepseekers?