da man's pickin on me...now:I fought the law, and *I* won :)

Pete M

I'd try to 'celebrate' quietly tho,

some of those 'Respect-My-Authority" types at City Hall will dig until they find something else to bust you on,

just so you don't think you got one over on them.

I'm a pretty spiteful person, so I'd throw a block party and hang up a banner that said "Suck It". :banana:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with jim on this one. Id tell the neighbors but wouldnt want to appear to rubbing the ordinance guys nose in anything. I would be sure to tell the person who was complaining if you know who they are tho, so you can rub there face in it, especially if they don't know you know it was them.

the "guy that was complaining" was the code enforcer. he was obsessed with his misinterpreted "48 hour rule for parking" and was just following my trucks from place to place.

my lawyer sent a letter to the city manager about what has transpired. we'll see what comes of that.

I don't think I'd go to the extent of a big banner :rotf: , but I'm contemplating passing out fliers door-to-door to inform the residents of Riverview that they can indeed park in the street without worry that their car will be towed. :cheers: I'm sure there are a lot of them that would be happy to hear the news.

Local ordinance here requires vehicles parked on the street to be moved at least once in 48 hours. Local police chief bought a piece of junk Mazda pickup truck for his son. Truck broke down and he didn't have the time or money to get it fixed.

Every two days he pushed it forward or backwards about 10 feet :rotfl2:

I have never had to worry about it. It was just funny watching the chief of police (used to live across the street from me) push his car a few feet every two days to stay legal.

The way he explained it, if it has not moved in 48 hours it is assumed to be inoperable, and thus a "junk" vehicle. My vehicles are almost always parked on my property, so no problem.

Also any visible vehicle needs to have valid plates on it, even if it is on your property. If you want to "store" a vehicle without current plates it will have to be inside a building (garage), behind a privacy fence, or under a tarp.

They're pretty lax about it. Small town, so they don't enforce any stupid crap like that unless they get a complaint. And the way the people around here are, they won't complain unless your yard looks like a junk yard.

The way he explained it, if it has not moved in 48 hours it is assumed to be inoperable, and thus a "junk" vehicle. My vehicles are almost always parked on my property, so no problem.

Also any visible vehicle needs to have valid plates on it, even if it is on your property. If you want to "store" a vehicle without current plates it will have to be inside a building (garage), behind a privacy fence, or under a tarp.

This happened to me - I was holding a wrecked XJ for a buddy and got busted because it was in open storage, inoperable and not tagged. I thought it was ridiculous that you can't park a vehicle with no plates in your own damn yard.

That 48 hour rule has me perplexed.... WHAT IF.... I came home from work friday at 5 PM, parked on the street, and didnt leave the house all weekend till I had to go back to work on monday morning??? My 48 hours would have been up at 5 PM on sunday. Parked and not going anywhere on the weekend does not a non running stored vehicle make. I don't know who writes these stupid laws, but they sure as hell don't live in the real world!