da man's pickin on me...now:I fought the law, and *I* won :)

Pete M

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i would do is for now move the trucks out of sight (outa sight outa mind kinda thing) for a few weeks maby even a month and they will for get and move on. they don't hunt you down. and if that parking ticket was not signed then make a copy toss it keep it in the same spot and if they tow sue the basterds :cheers: ill be waiting to hear what happens :popcorn:

Brandon

Last time a code enforcer harassed me, I handed them toilet paper and when they asked what the hell I was doing, I told them they would need it next time they trespassed in my yard. (ALL my neighbors were cool with my rigs. I was instigated by some asshat who lived on the EAST coast who saw I had 4 CL ads posted and used Google Earth to spy in my backyard!) Never had trouble again.

I had a 7' fence (wood panel, installed in 1940 when the house was built) and they tried to have me remove it. I got a petition signed by all my neighbors that it was THEIR fence too and they wanted to keep it because it kept the crackheads from yard jumping. After that, someone shot the owner of one of the houses next to us and moved crackheads and a section 8 baby machine (13 kids from 1 - 25 and none with jobs!)

They kept calling the city about our dog (which we didn't have at the time) and throwing trash over the fence, claiming it came from our side. We heard 4 gunshots go off at 3AM and when the cops arrived there wasn't a PEEP from that house, 13 kids and all. Next day a roll of carpet came out the window upstairs and went away. Owner of the house turned up in Tacoma bay in a roll of carpet. Doesn't take Sherlock to figure that one out!

Finally got tired of it after catching the 5' 300+lb "Mama" stealing people's mail around the block. (apparently she was depressed because she couldn't pop anymore out) The mailman I told about this ended up being run over by his own truck a couple weeks later. I took the clue, sold my house (fortunately while the market was still hot) and moved on.

Less than a year later the house mysteriously caught fire TWICE.

Last time a code enforcer harassed me, I handed them toilet paper and when they asked what the hell I was doing, I told them they would need it next time they trespassed in my yard. (ALL my neighbors were cool with my rigs. I was instigated by some asshat who lived on the EAST coast who saw I had 4 CL ads posted and used Google Earth to spy in my backyard!) Never had trouble again.

I had a 7' fence (wood panel, installed in 1940 when the house was built) and they tried to have me remove it. I got a petition signed by all my neighbors that it was THEIR fence too and they wanted to keep it because it kept the crackheads from yard jumping. After that, someone shot the owner of one of the houses next to us and moved crackheads and a section 8 baby machine (13 kids from 1 - 25 and none with jobs!)

They kept calling the city about our dog (which we didn't have at the time) and throwing trash over the fence, claiming it came from our side. We heard 4 gunshots go off at 3AM and when the cops arrived there wasn't a PEEP from that house, 13 kids and all. Next day a roll of carpet came out the window upstairs and went away. Owner of the house turned up in Tacoma bay in a roll of carpet. Doesn't take Sherlock to figure that one out!

Finally got tired of it after catching the 5' 300+lb "Mama" stealing people's mail around the block. (apparently she was depressed because she couldn't pop anymore out) The mailman I told about this ended up being run over by his own truck a couple weeks later. I took the clue, sold my house (fortunately while the market was still hot) and moved on.

Less than a year later the house mysteriously caught fire TWICE.

good lord, sounds like a true disaster. Did they have teeth... as in at least one full set between all of them?

Sounds like you got out just in time.

don't worry pete, zoning is nothing but a bunch of a$$holes. They got on me because my dads Caprice wagon had expired tags and was sitting, completely in one piece, in my driveway way up by the garage, but didnt get on my neighbor for having a lawn tractor under his deck and a boat in his yard. They just like their tax money for nothing, so they harass those of us who collect vehicles they wish they could get.

I had codes send me 3 letters last year - crazy lady that walks up and down our street ratted me out because of my long grass (which was really long). Apparently, Codes docks you for anything they can possibly find when they show up.

I also learned that having a big tree stump in your yard is not against code and that the Enforcers only go out when people call. Apparently they get enough calls that they don't have to patrol the streets.

Good luck Pete.

they are sending people out here to find arch criminals. if you are pressure washing your house and it was built before 1976 you must show a lead abatement license or be fined $300.00.

this is a epa rule.

The town is twisting the law a little:

Federal EPA rules changed on April 22, 2010:

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

But the rules are specifically for CONTRACTORS (not homeowners):

contractors performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 must be certified and must follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination.

EPA requires that firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in pre-1978 homes, child care facilities and schools be certified by EPA and that they use certified renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training providers to follow lead-safe work practices. Individuals can become certified renovators by taking an eight-hour training course from an EPA-approved training provider. Learn how to become an EPA certified firm and where to take a training course near you.

* Contractors must use lead-safe work practices and follow these three simple procedures:

o Contain the work area.

o Minimize dust.

o Clean up thoroughly.

The rule affects paid renovatorswho work in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities, including:

* Renovation contractors

* Maintenance workers in multi-family housing

* Painters and other specialty trades.

Looks like they changed the cutoff year too (from 78' to 76').

Edit, rental property owners do not get this 'homeowner exemption', and they do have to meet the same conditions as a contractor working on the home:

After April 22, 2010, property owners who perform these projects in pre-1978 rental housing or space rented by child-care facilities must be certified and must follow the lead-safe work practices required by EPA's Renovation, Repair and Remodeling rule. To become certified, property owners must submit an application for firm certification (PDF) (9 pp, 642K) and fee payment to EPA. EPA began processing applications on October 22, 2009. The Agency has up to 90 days after receiving a complete request for certification to approve or disapprove the application.

• 2 weeks later...

finally... the code guy left tickets on the trucks. :banana: now we can get to the fun part. :yes:

the code I was written up for:

814: A person shall not park a vehicle on any street for the principle purpose of doing any of the following:

e: storage for more than 48 continuous hours

also, the Doctor has an upcoming court date about his parking lot. don't know how that case might turn out since I still haven't found the code spelled out in black and white.

the 88 and 86 got tagged for removal today. :fs1: so I brought the 90 out of the garage and put it in the driveway then stuck the 88 in the garage. tomorrow I'll need to find a home for the 86.

on the plus side, now that it's in the garage I can start working on the 88. jamminz.gif on the short list: I'm swapping the spooled diff for my open diff and then replacing the u-joints in the rear driveshaft.

• 4 weeks later...

Judge agreed with us that my parking area next to my house isn't the "street", neither are the trucks "in storage". :banana:

best part of the trial outcome is the storage aspect. If my trucks (who I won't argue were unmoved for a month) aren't "in storage", the NONE of the other cars/trucks that the people of this city may happen to leave parked in front of their house on the street for longer than 48 hrs are in violation of that law. I CANNOT WAIT TO SPREAD THE WORD. :D

WTG Pete. :D

I had a person sick the property association on me once because my dog wouldn't let her dog come into our yard and crap. She complained that we didn't have a lease on the dog. We did however have an invisible fence and our dog never left our yard so her complaints didn't carry water. Didn't keep her from calling the rangers (we live in gated lake community) several times. After a while I think she got the message that there wasn't anything they could do, she started taking a different route so her dog could crap in someone else's yard. :mad:

I hate people... One of these days I'm gonna get a cabin up on a mountain top in Idaho so they all just leave me alone. Oh, wait... Ruby Ridge... there goes that idea. :wall:

She complained that we didn't have a lease on the dog.

Did you rent the dog month to month?

Did you avoid signing the lease, in case a better dog came along?

I tried renting-to-own a dog once, and didn't sign a lease,

the greedy pet shop sold the dog right out from under me to someone else.

(sorry ;) )

Way to go Pete :cheers: jamminz.gif

hopefully it's done & over now.

I'd try to 'celebrate' quietly tho,

some of those 'Respect-My-Authority" types at City Hall will dig until they find something else to bust you on,

just so you don't think you got one over on them.