da man's pickin on me...now:I fought the law, and *I* won :)

Pete M

Quick backstory for anyone that doesn't know: my fleet is parked across the street from my house in the doctor's office parking lot. He's an old friend of the family and long-story-short, we trade parking privileges for yard work.

More backstory that most won't know: the city recently did street work in front of my house and we've been back and forth over the sudden arrival of a fire hydrant that ate up both parking spots in front of the house, and the planting bed that they actually took us to court over the planting area being an "encumbrance on public property", when the judge ruled that not only was the 6" elevation change not an encumbrance, but also that the city couldn't prove that the grass on the other side of the sidewalk was actually public land, and thus that the city had no jurisdiction. Bite me Riverview. :fs1:

So now they return fire...

Halfway down to Georgia (heading down from Michigan for the week to visit my sister) I get a call from my mother saying that the Doctor got a warning about the trucks and that he apparently had 5 days to remove them. something about being a blight. :dunno: :rotfl2: Last I checked, they were all externally intact, plated, insured, legally drivable and on private commercial property. I even move them once a month as per the rules. Now I'm in a mad scramble to get my lawyer involved on the doctor's behalf and to scrounge up some help to get the fleet moved to, uh, somewhere else for the time being. :dunno:

I've looked up the laws, and as far as I can tell by the letter of the law, my crap ain't a blight. the only thing I can find is that 3 of them have a partially dismantled interior (one being my minivan), but it's not like the law says that exactly. It's been left kinda vague (on purpose I'm sure). And there's no WAY you could ever tell that from the sidewalk. Ya gotta walk onto private land to see that. :rant:

None of this would be much concern except that I'm 700 miles away. :wall:

More updates as events warrant...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update: a buddy of mine (who hopefully is still a friend) moved the 86, 90, and the minivan for me today. Those were the three with disassembled interiors. I talked him through the startup procedures (which are complicated and unique for all three) in real-time. Let it never be said that i don't know my own rigs. :D

The 88 is complete. Nothing has been removed inside or out. If they tow it, I'm suing. I might move it myself this weekend, but we'll see how the rest of this debacle plays out.

This is how I would handle it..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

Marvin Heemeyer

Born Marvin John Heemeyer

October 28, 1951(1951-10-28)

Died June 4, 2004 (aged 52)

Granby, Colorado, U.S.

Cause of death Self-inflicted gunshot

Known for Bulldozer rampage

It's likely that no one here will have a better obituary than this guy.

:cheers:

After everything was over the city of Granby was asking for donations to help rebuild. I offered a $100 to start a fund raising for a statue honoring Heemeyer to be placed somewhere prominent in the city. I never heard back from them.

After everything was over the city of Granby was asking for donations to help rebuild. I offered a $100 to start a fund raising for a statue honoring Heemeyer to be placed somewhere prominent in the city. I never heard back from them.

:bowdown:

update: everything is now moved, even the canoe.

still waiting on a new reply from the city (asking again for specification about the exact problems he apparently sees) before I decide my next course of action...

I love tea. Let's go.

:clapping:

I'm kinda thinking something along the lines of the old Discount tire commercial " Please feel free to bring them back any time " as the old lady throws the tire through the window . Thats what's going on in my mind right now ....

So today our code enforcer politely informs us that there's a 48 hr rule on our driveway (which, since we are on the corner, is actually part of the side easement). Kinda knew this was coming, since he's looking for ways to harass us. :fs1: Lived here for 34 years now and it's never been an issue. Heck, the 88 was parked on the apron and unmoved for over 2 years straight. :D Looks like I'll be moving them back to the parking lot and putting it on the list to ask for an official variance at the next city meeting.

Still waiting on a response from the code enforcer to the doctor's last letter.

So today our code enforcer politely informs us that there's a 24 hr rule on our driveway (which, since we are on the corner, is actually part of the side easement). Kinda knew this was coming, since he's looking for ways to harass us. :fs1: Lived here for 34 years now and it's never been an issue. Heck, the 88 was parked on the apron and unmoved for over 2 years straight. :D Looks like I'll be moving them back to the parking lot and putting it on the list to ask for an official variance at the next city meeting.

Still waiting on a response from the code enforcer to the doctor's last letter.

I have a very strong feelings regarding the sanctity of a mans home,

and that includes his driveway.

I hope this gets straightened out for the better. :headpop:

Good luck.

build a frame out of pvc wrap it with a tarp painted like an rv and park the fleet under it at waliworld.... :brows:

for real tho, paint your house lime green and yellow, and your mailbox flamingo pink, and put up a billboard for soapbox purposes and post names and phone numbers for everyone you speak to

go inspect your code enforcers yard/driveway

thats some messed up stuff man but listen to this i live in hampton v.a. and i have an 8ft wooden fence and they are allowed to come onto your property and look behind it without permission and i own a tractor and they said that it wasnt allowed and then i cut down some dead trees on my property and got slaped with a $10000 fine :headpop: it was called destubing the soil or somthing with out paying to take a test to do it myself but i worked for the city on the tree crew removing dead trees 4 3-4yrs then this year my taxes broke $3500 so i want to move from this crappy place

:fs1: :headpop: :fs1:

just thought i would let yalll know this srry

what happened to change looks to me some people made the wrong choice lol

thats some messed up stuff man but listen to this i live in hampton v.a. and i have an 8ft wooden fence and they are allowed to come onto your property and look behind it without permission and i own a tractor and they said that it wasnt allowed and then i cut down some dead trees on my property and got slaped with a $10000 fine :headpop: it was called destubing the soil or somthing with out paying to take a test to do it myself but i worked for the city on the tree crew removing dead trees 4 3-4yrs then this year my taxes broke $3500 so i want to move from this crappy place

:fs1: :headpop: :fs1:

just thought i would let yalll know this srry

what happened to change looks to me some people made the wrong choice lol

Honestly,

a man can't back down any further than his home.

If they back you into a corner at home, there is no where to go but back through them.

I know that sounds like crazy talk, but I'm really glad I haven't been held to the laws, rules, regulations & codes you guys have been through (yet).

Our founding fathers would NOT have put up with 1/2 the crap we do today.