da man's pickin on me...now:I fought the law, and *I* won :)

Pete M

Just so I can keep it all straight for you guys, these are the recent issues at hand. Keep in mind while you read this that he just told us the code number. I had to look up the actual words on my own.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accusation: Storage of vehicles is not allowed.

Code he quoted:

In any area zoned for residential purposes, the open storage upon any property of unlicensed, inoperable or damaged motor vehicles, or the dismantled salvage components thereof, except when such is stored in a completely enclosed building. For the purpose of this article, the term "unlicensed vehicle" shall mean a vehicle not having a current year registration plate; the term "inoperable or damaged motor vehicle" shall include, but not limited to, vehicles which have extensive damage by collision or vandalism, broken windows, missing wheels or tires, missing component parts or power train. Such vehicles shall not remain on any property for more than seven days.

My thoughts: the code clearly only states that cars that are un-plated or otherwise seriously damaged or dismantled cannot be stored :dunno:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accusation: storage of the trailers is not allowed:

Code he quoted (edited for brevity):

When used in this article the term "recreational equipment and vehicles" shall include:

(1) Boats and boat trailers ...

(2) Folding tent trailer ...

(3) Motorized home ...

(4) Pickup camper ...

(5) Travel trailer ...

(6) Horse trailer ...

(7) Utility trailer which is a vehicle used to transport motorcycles, snowmobiles, go-carts or stock cars;

(8) Snowmobiles, stock cars and go-carts ...

(9) Motorcycles, mopeds, dirt-bikes, dune buggies ...

My thoughts: Neither trailer has ever touched a recreational vehicle so does this really apply? There's no provision in that particular code for "any ol' trailer" or even work trailers. :dunno:

code part 2:

(2) If the recreational equipment or vehicle is parked or stored outside of a garage, it shall be parked or stored to the rear of the front building line of the lot. The setback requirement in the side or rear yard shall be a minimum of two feet.

(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (2) of this section, recreational equipment and vehicles may be parked on the premises except on the front lawn for a period of not more than 72 hours.

Accusation: Parking on the street is limited to a continuous 48 hour time frame.

Code he quoted:

(1) A person shall not park a vehicle on any street for the principal purpose of doing any of the following:

(e) Storage for more than 48 continuous hours.

My thoughts: Is it really "storage" if I simply park the car out front during the weekend?

Accusation: Parking on my apron is limited to the same continuous 48 hour time frame.

still waiting for what-on-earth code covers that. :rant:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain Pete. I had a very similar problem about two years back. I had my Comanche parked in my driveway which I was actively working on. At this point in time, the engine, trans, and exhaust had been pulled. The jeep was in great condition too, it wasn't a junker at first glance (good paint, body, etc..) The only way to tell it wasn't running was by looking inside the cab. (Shifter was missing due to the transmission being pulled).

Never had a problem with the city or any complaints during the last year living at the residence. At one point my wife and I bought a pure bred german shephard which became very protective of us and our our property. We lived in a really bad neighborhood and the dog kept all the hoodlums and riff-raff walking on the opposite side of the street. :D Anyways, after getting the dog we began to have mail delivery problems. The lady delivering the mail wouldn't come near the residence which was understandble since the dog was outside a lot during the summer.

Fast forward a few months, I lose my job so I'm home pretty much 24/7. The mail isn't being delievered and we get post office memos saying "mail not delivered - dog out". This happened a couple times when I was home and the dog was *inside*. We made complaints a couple times and never saw the same postal carrier again. Transfered or fired, who knows. Not but two days later code enforcement is out via anonymous complaint about my truck which is parked right next to the side of the house with the mail slot. Carrier probably got pissed and was trying to get even was my guess.

The truck is considered a "junker" and will be removed at my expense from my own driveway if I don't get it running. Whoever wrote the code had good intent. We have tons of vehicles that sit in front yards with weeds growing up around them. Anyhow, by defination any vehicle that sat in the same spot for more than 72 hours (reglardless of domain) that had a flat tire, missing gear knob, and other piddly stupid crap was considered a nuisance. Funny enough, parking in your front yard wasn't a violation. Being law enforcement myself, the guy cut me some slack and didn't bother me for a couple months about it but by then we moved.

What a man does on his own property is his own damn business. I used to take complaints from jerks who got mad when vehicles on their street block were parked in the same spot for more than 72 hours. Someone made a complaint about a fellow jeeper and his grand wagoneer parked his driveway which he was working on. I told him don't worry about it and left. :thumbsup: Stupid laws written by stupid people. soapbox.gif

Pete, The 1st one says "zoned for residential property" Arent they at a dentists office which wouldnt be considered residential property?

What is an apron?

My advice, put fear into the neighbors so they don't complain.

Pete, The 1st one says "zoned for residential property" Arent they at a dentists office which wouldnt be considered residential property?

What is an apron?

I don't think Pete's neighbors are the problem....

What is an apron?

Whoops! Sorry 'bout that. :doh: I forgot to include the part below it that says that commercial properties are included unless their particular business requires piles of crap lying around.

Can't be. To good to be true. However considering the intelligence level of these people it just might work. :USAflag:

We are in the same arena Jim. I read it, went, "This is the answer to my problems" and then thought, too good to be true. Fished around on the website linked to the warning, but got bored, and just figured I ask.

Rob L. :D

Considering the source, it's probably something less than legit (there's definitely some crack-potness to the site).

The guy did link some legal sources, but most of them were pretty old.

:dunno:

You'd think there'd be some type of American Civil Liberties something or other concerned with the sanctity of the home,

but the ACLU we have is already far too concerned with defending NAMBLA, and Illegal Alien's 'Civil Liberties'. :shake:

WI law states:

"any vehicle incapable of lawful operation on the public highway we be considered junk"

Junk vehicles are explained as - "incomplete, non operational, or having no value other then parts or scrape will be considered junk"

the fine ? $100 per day per vehicle or automotive part . . .

if you had 2 spare tires out side that's $200/day till they are removed or put inside :doh:

Mike

Guess I gotta thank the code guy next time I see him. The tree next door just fell on empty parking lot where previously was my bro-in-laws trailer. :clapping:

I didn't get off completely scot-free. it hit my 90! :rotfl2:

• 1 month later...

Quick update. I had my meeting with the code enforcer's boss. gave me a lot of runaround and wishy-washy talk but I didn't really think I'd get much more out of him. I just wanted to get across that they need to either write me up for a legitimate gripe, or leave me alone. Haven't heard anything since. :dunno:

Those signs as posted above are a lot like the "make your own license plate" B.S. : They operate on the basic premise that the Government is unconstitutional and therefore has no legitimate purpose. If you read the sign you will even see that incorporated. Yeah, umm, the courts are going to agree that the government does not exist? :nuts:

These things are part of what is called a "sham legal process" and partaking of same is outlawed in many states and, in some cases, are felonies. Post any and all of the signs a person may want, but they might as well be posting a Miley Cyrus concert ad for all of the legality of most of them.

Those signs as posted above are a lot like the "make your own license plate" B.S. : They operate on the basic premise that the Government is unconstitutional and therefore has no legitimate purpose. If you read the sign you will even see that incorporated. Yeah, umm, the courts are going to agree that the government does not exist? :nuts:

These things are part of what is called a "sham legal process" and partaking of same is outlawed in many states and, in some cases, are felonies. Post any and all of the signs a person may want, but they might as well be posting a Miley Cyrus concert ad for all of the legality of most of them.

The recent Supreme Court ruling on the question of "if the 2nd Amendment applies to the states" (they determined it did)

puts alot of these local laws, that SEEM to be in conflict with many of our Constitutional rights in question.

If the states (and under them, local municipalities) have to comply with the Bill of Rights (and under the 14th Amendment, they do), I don't see how agents of the local municipalities (IE: code enforcement officers) could be exempt from that compliance.

I am not saying any of this is cut and dry (far from it),

but most of these code enforcement rules do conflict with rights recognized by the Bill of Rights.

Quick update. I had my meeting with the code enforcer's boss. gave me a lot of runaround and wishy-washy talk but I didn't really think I'd get much more out of him. I just wanted to get across that they need to either write me up for a legitimate gripe, or leave me alone. Haven't heard anything since. :dunno:

Glad you've made *some* progress (hopefully the face to face meeting has a positive effect for you).

• 2 months later...

belated update...

well, they finally wrote up a citation a week or so ago. not for me though, for the doctor. something about a violation of "principle use". so far 2 lawyers have been unable to find a code "5.02" so we're not really sure what precisely the violation is. we're just going on the scribbles on the citation. so we (me and the neighbor on the other side of the office who also uses the lot occasionally) scattered our rigs.

more recent, my 90 was parked in the driveway of the house adjacent to the drs office (buildings are joined and apparently taxed as one) and yesterday they tagged it for being towed in 48 hours. so I hurriedly made space in the garage and pulled it out of sight. have yet to pass that info on to the lawyers to see what they make of it. the sticker doesn't say what the violation is, nor is it signed (not that I have any doubts as to whom it is). :fs1: