New take on a RHD XJ?

Geonovast

why..... :ack:

Mail delivery people usually prefer a RHD vehicle, and RHD XJ's aren't the easiest thing to come by. Almost all privately owned mail delivery vehicles I see are either XJs or KJs.

okay i understand now. the original RHD xjs are actually pretty cool. i just don't ig the conversion..

I agree. If this was for postal delivery and I was that nuts about using a jeep (which I would of course :yes: ) I would just go get a surplus RHD mail jeep and fix it up. Plenty of them available and cheap too. Maybe the owner is from overseas (or there for that matter) and is unwilling to learn LHD. Either way, this makes no sense to me. :hmm:

This is a pretty common conversion the XJs.

For the record, RHD XJs, TJs, and JKs are/were sold in this country for anyone to buy. I also see RHD subarus around for mail use.

Yes thats true, you have to special order them but they are available new to anyone who wants one, we service several of them at my dealer, mostly TJ's and JK's, but I have seen one XJ with the steering like in the original post, kinda funky!

For the record, RHD XJs, TJs, and JKs are/were sold in this country for anyone to buy. I also see RHD subarus around for mail use.

I was under the impression that any "factory" RHD vehicle was to be registered as a "special use" vehicle (mail delivery, etc) or for export only. I remember seeing a RHD tj for sale that I thought was the coolest thing ever, especially for the price they were asking, but upon doing the research thats what I found out...Maybe it varies state to state :hmm: It sure would be fun just to have something different; I remember getting a shotgun ride in an SUV driving across Australia once...definately had to re-tune the brain a little cause it felt so...wrong :rotf:

I was under the impression that any "factory" RHD vehicle was to be registered as a "special use" vehicle (mail delivery, etc) or for export only. I remember seeing a RHD tj for sale that I thought was the coolest thing ever, especially for the price they were asking, but upon doing the research thats what I found out...Maybe it varies state to state :hmm: It sure would be fun just to have something different; I remember getting a shotgun ride in an SUV driving across Australia once...definately had to re-tune the brain a little cause it felt so...wrong :rotf:

Nope, they are regular vehicles, with regular titles, you can special order the JK right now with it.

Now the vehicle you may have found might have had "special use" plates on it. But tthey don't have to be registered that way.

There are lots of factory RHD XJs running around in NA, along with lots of the conversions like pictured above, they make pretty good mail vehicles.

That and RHD subarus.....

I also see parking enforcement in RHD TJ's..........

I've seen this setup before.

Kinda hurts to say it,

but THAT is a professional conversion.

:rotf:

Hopefully they disconnected the passengers side airbag....

because that steering setup WILL be traveling THROUGH your face, and out the back of your skull .002 seconds after that airbag fires. :eek:

:cheers: Now we just need some one to try this redneck style on a MJ.

any one want to nominate some one they think could pull it off? :fool:

If I ever found a RHD in a JY and the price was fair, I'd consider it. I think I've threw just about every other major common mod at my 87, why not RHD.

I've seen this setup before.

Kinda hurts to say it,

but THAT is a professional conversion.

:rotf:

Hopefully they disconnected the passengers side airbag....

because that steering setup WILL be traveling THROUGH your face, and out the back of your skull .002 seconds after that airbag fires. :eek:

that's about what i was thinking...

I'm guessing none of you have ever actually seen one of these kits in operation or installed one???

There are rods that go from the bolt in pedals to the normal pedals.

You reach across to turn on the blinkers or four-ways.

You do deactivate the air bag on some kits.. others you remove the airbag as the steering wheel bracket bolts to the airbag mounting bracket.

The kit itself is fairly expensive.. $8-900 IIRC.. but you can order it one from the conversion company.

Quick pic I found of a conversion done on a Ranger...

http://www.postalthings.com/images/Jan0 ... on%201.JPG